Don Imus

What should happen to Don Imus because of the comment he made?

• NOTHING! Freedom of speech. They use worse language in rap songs about themselves

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • He made a mistake and I think an apology was good enough

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • He should be suspended without pay for a short period of time

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • He should be FIRED!

Votes: 13 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
vraiblonde said:
I've always loathed Imus, but he'd earn some points with me if he'd tell Sharpton to STFU. Taking morality lessons from the likes of Al Sharpton - THAT, my friends, is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Imus made a racially insensitive (and frankly, race aside, just plain insensitive) remark. But to be chastised for racial insensitivity by none other than Al "Steven Pagones" Sharpton is just way out there.

And, did you read where Imus was "Yes, sir" - repeatedly, when answering the Rev's questions or comments?

Remember the Tawana Brawley(sp?) incident, years back; where she swore a bunch of whites raped her, and the Rev. Al took up her cause? Turned out to be a big lie, and the Rev. Al had to eat crow over the things he said.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Penn said:
Remember the Tawana Brawley(sp?) incident, years back; where she swore a bunch of whites raped her, and the Rev. Al took up her cause? Turned out to be a big lie, and the Rev. Al had to eat crow over the things he said.
vraiblonde said:
Al "Steven Pagones" Sharpton

Don't piss me off tonight, Penn. :tap:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
BuddyLee said:
I sure hope Larry's not in smartass mode tonight.:lol:

I got it!

Steven Pagones was an Assistant District Attorney in New York who was falsely accused in 1987 by Tawana Brawley and Al Sharpton of raping Brawley. ...

I didn't recognise his name from her earlier post. :flowers:

Bonehead

I watched a short clip of that stuffed shirt Sharpton azzwipe and mister cowboy hat wearing puzzy they both made me want to puke. Sharpton "I axed you" honest to god not asked but axed.....Imus yes sir, yes sir. Really unbelievable that anyone listens to either one of them.

If either one of these people are a true representation of either race then we have no hope of ever becoming able to ignore race altogether.

donbarzini

Dork said:
Humm? Just curious. Do you have to be black to have a nappy head? Do you have to be black to be a ho? It may not be a nice thing to say about someone but how is it racial? I can picture a white nappy headed ho, can't you?

Have you met my ex-wife?

Nanny Pam

Imus made (what appeared to be) an apology.

Let's move on.

Sharpton ...how is he any better? I think he could have, at least thanked Iman for the apology. I didn't say he had to accept it, but he coulld have thanked him.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Penn said:
I got it!
:cartwheel

There's a part of me that hopes nothing happens to take Sharpton's attention away from Imus. He's such a jerk that he deserves the needling.

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
vraiblonde said:
:cartwheel

There's a part of me that hopes nothing happens to take Sharpton's attention away from Imus. He's such a jerk that he deserves the needling.
Thank you! :huggy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BlackSheep said:
On most days I can-but in the context of Imus's statement and his counterpart; it was directed toward a Basketball team-a women's basketball team.
AN all black, exclusively black, basketball team?? No white players? Not a single one?

peanutman

Don Imus should be fired!

My reasons why:

1. Tim Hardaway got fired by the NBA for making comments about gays.
2. Micheal Ray Richardson made comments about jews and got fired.
3. "Jimmy THE Greek" made racist remarks and was fired by CBS.
4. Don Imus said it on federal radio (paid for by taxpayers dollars). If he feels that way, he should go to XM radio and people can pay to hear him.
5. This is not his first time making comments like this.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
peanutman said:

My reasons why:

4. Don Imus said it on federal radio (paid for by taxpayers dollars). If he feels that way, he should go to XM radio and people can pay to hear him.
That's a great point. :yay:

But I don't think any of those people should have been fired, either.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
Imus is a jerk and a waste of perfectly good oxygen and the amazing thing is no one has understood anything he has mumbled into the microphone for years and when someone finally understands what he said, it's racist. How do we know he hasn't been saying this kind of stuff all along and no one was able to interpret the mumbles?

Geek

wmburdette said:
Imus is a jerk and a waste of perfectly good oxygen and the amazing thing is no one has understood anything he has mumbled into the microphone for years and when someone finally understands what he said, it's racist. How do we know he hasn't been saying this kind of stuff all along and no one was able to interpret the mumbles?

:killingme

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/

Imus Calls The 2 Week Suspension Appropriate
NEW YORK - Radio host Don Imus, suspended for two weeks for calling the Rutgers female basketball players “nappy-headed hos,” called the punishment appropriate Tuesday but stressed, “I am not a racist.”

“What I did was make a stupid, idiotic mistake in a comedy context,” Imus said on his show Tuesday morning, the final week before his suspension starts.

Asked by “TODAY” host Matt Lauer if he could clean up his act as he promised on Monday, he said, “Well, perhaps I can’t.” But he added, “I have a history of keeping my word.”

Oh really!? What's that supposed to mean?

donbarzini

peanutman said:

My reasons why:

Don't forget Al Campanis of the Dodgers

Toxick

Splat
I think Don Imus should be fired.

Not because of this though. He should be fired because his show sucks.

While we're on the subject, what exactly does "nappy headed" mean? And why is it racist? Can white people not have nappy heads?

Qurious

Im On 1.
peanutman said:

My reasons why:

Great Points!

I'll add:

dude from Greys Anatomy was almost fired unless he apologized for his gay comment and took a homophobia counseling class.

Just because you have freedom of speech doesn't meant you excerise that right to the full extent by offending a culture of people. And when will people stop using the example that "blacks talk like that, so why can't I? (being white)"

Grow up. There is such a thing called as tact when your in his type of occupation....thats exactly why Howard Stern is where he is.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Qurious said:
Great Points!

I'll add:

dude from Greys Anatomy was almost fired unless he apologized for his gay comment and took a homophobia counseling class.

Just because you have freedom of speech doesn't meant you excerise that right to the full extent by offending a culture of people, unless you are black. And when will people stop using the example that "blacks talk like that, so why can't I? (being white)"

Grow up. There is such a thing called as tact when your in his type of occupation....thats exactly why Howard Stern is where he is.

:fixed: