Don Imus

What should happen to Don Imus because of the comment he made?

• NOTHING! Freedom of speech. They use worse language in rap songs about themselves

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • He made a mistake and I think an apology was good enough

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • He should be suspended without pay for a short period of time

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • He should be FIRED!

Votes: 13 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
itsbob said:
AN all black, exclusively black, basketball team?? No white players? Not a single one?

The Rutgers Womens College basketball team, which has eight black and two white women on it, were tabbed by Imus - well you know what he said by now - is predominantly a black one.

8 out of 10 women = 80%. If Imus did not know that, well shame on him.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Qurious said:
please go fetch your toy already, i can't play with u all day b!tch.

Then why do you keep coming back for more? Is that the best comeback you got? Lame, like you.

nomoney

if it was such an offensive statement then why do all those in the media that are blabbing about how offensive it was keep repeating it over and over? :confused:

Pete

Repete
Qurious said:
Great Points!

I'll add:

dude from Greys Anatomy was almost fired unless he apologized for his gay comment and took a homophobia counseling class.

Just because you have freedom of speech doesn't meant you excerise that right to the full extent by offending a culture of people. And when will people stop using the example that "blacks talk like that, so why can't I? (being white)"

Grow up. There is such a thing called as tact when your in his type of occupation....thats exactly why Howard Stern is where he is.
I disagree. I can walk out into the parking lot and yell "*****" at the top of my lungs 100 times and not get arrested, sued or even detained. It is not against the law. I most assuredly would get fired, but that is a different issue.

I am free to say whatever I want to whoever I want and it is fully within my rights. If I say something that is offensive it is still within my rights and the problem belongs to the person(s) who is offended.

"Freedom of speech" is a legal protection. It means you cannot be jailed because of what you say. There are no such protections for your job. However, when you are in the shock business and you hire someone who is funny and shocking, why be surprised when they say something shocking?

Imus was making a stupid joke. Sharpton is a bona fide racist and always has been. When you boil it all down to the good parts I would rather giggle at Imus saying "nappy headed ho's" than seeing Sharpton promoting the hate he does.

As far as Stern I find it odd you can say he has tact when he perfected the anal ring toss on his show.

When will people stop using the "you said it why can't I?" argument? Uh ...never. By saying blacks can say it but whites cannot is the verbal equivalent of the colored and white water fountains in the 50's. You cannot champion civil rights if you do not embrace a 100% level playing field in ALL things. This is where you, Sharpton and Jackson get it wrong.

Roughidle

nomoney said:
if it was such an offensive statement then why do all those in the media that are blabbing about how offensive it was keep repeating it over and over? :confused:
Because it increases viewing time which in turn makes more money. That's what it's all about any-hoo. You don't think it's about reporting actual news do ya? :lmao:

donbarzini

Pete said:
I disagree. I can walk out into the parking lot and yell "*****" at the top of my lungs 100 times and not get arrested, sued or even detained. It is not against the law. I most assuredly would get fired, but that is a different issue.

I am free to say whatever I want to whoever I want and it is fully within my rights. If I say something that is offensive it is still within my rights and the problem belongs to the person(s) who is offended.

"Freedom of speech" is a legal protection. It means you cannot be jailed because of what you say. There are no such protections for your job. However, when you are in the shock business and you hire someone who is funny and shocking, why be surprised when they say something shocking?

Imus was making a stupid joke. Sharpton is a bona fide racist and always has been. When you boil it all down to the good parts I would rather giggle at Imus saying "nappy headed ho's" than seeing Sharpton promoting the hate he does.

As far as Stern I find it odd you can say he has tact when he perfected the anal ring toss on his show.

When will people stop using the "you said it why can't I?" argument? Uh ...never. By saying blacks can say it but whites cannot is the verbal equivalent of the colored and white water fountains in the 50's. You cannot champion civil rights if you do not embrace a 100% level playing field in ALL things. This is where you, Sharpton and Jackson get it wrong.

:high5: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nomoney

Pete said:

:yay:

Qurious

Im On 1.
MY COMMENTS IN RED.

Pete said:
"Freedom of speech" is a legal protection. It means you cannot be jailed because of what you say. Of course you can't be locked up but you sure can get f'd up :killingme There are no such protections for your job. People have been killed, lost their jobs, lost family members all because they do not know how to excercise their right to freedom of speech correctly. U think there aren't any limits to whats written in the constitution? We have the right to bear arms, does that mean you can go shoot whoever and wherever? Of course not! All I'm saying is just because you have the right to freedom of speech does not mean you SHOULD say whatever you want. There are consequences for your actions in the end. However, when you are in the shock business and you hire someone who is funny and shocking, why be surprised when they say something shocking?

Imus was making a stupid joke. Sharpton is a bona fide racist and always has been. When you boil it all down to the good parts I would rather giggle at Imus saying "nappy headed ho's" than seeing Sharpton promoting the hate he does. What hate does Sharpton promote? And if he is so hateful Imus wouldn't have even went on the show when invited....he thought by going on that show he was going to get a sympathy from the black people similar to Kramer by apologizing. WRONG!

As far as Stern I find it odd you can say he has tact when he perfected the anal ring toss on his show. I never said Stern has tact, I was referring to him not having it and thats why he got banned.

Pete

Repete
Qurious said:
MY COMMENTS IN RED.
I knew you were pretty much hopeless before I even responded, but if you are so stupidly blind you cannot see Sharpton is a hate mongering racist, you are not worth my debating any further.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Pete said:
I knew you were pretty much hopeless before I even responded, but if you are so stupidly blind you cannot see Sharpton is a hate mongering racist, you are not worth my debating any further.

If me being hopeless is not agreeing with you, then I'll be that.

But keep in mind you quoted me....not the other way around...

Pete

Repete
What is also telling is the hypocrisy from the left, liberals and common everyday goobers is the Imus compared to lets say the Dixie Chicks.

Imus says "nappy headed ho's" in jest. The liberals have an aneurysm and call for his head. The right says "it sucks but he has free speech protection, don't like it don't watch :shrug:" The left says "Nuh uh! That doesn't allow THAT kind of speech, he needs to be fired!

Dixie Chicks bad mouth the President, during wartime, in a foreign country. Conservatives say "You suck for doing that. You have the right to say it but I am not going to buy your records and I am going to call my radio station and tell them I am not going to listen anymore if you play them." The left SCREAMS "freedom of speech :jameo: You cannot punish them because of freedom of speech :jameo:

Pure 100% unadulterated HYPOCRISY. If it suits their agenda and needs ":shrug:" If it doesn't :jameo:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Qurious said:
....thats exactly why Howard Stern is where he is.

Where exactly is Howard Stern? :popcorn: His ratings may be falling, but he's still raking in millions of $$ and, love him or hate him, everyone knows who he is. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
Qurious said:
is it in the rule book that I have to?
Not at all. I think it is perfectly ok for you to ignore the undeniable truths. I would rather you ignore it than to flail about and make some retarded argument.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Pete said:
Not at all. I think it is perfectly ok for you to ignore the undeniable truths. I would rather you ignore it than to flail about and make some retarded argument.

So then the next time you ignore a thread about gays I'm going to assume its because the truth is being told about you?

AHA!

okay...that sounds about right. :sarcasm:

Pete

Repete
Qurious said:
So then the next time you ignore a thread about gays I'm going to assume its because the truth is being told about you?

AHA!

okay...that sounds about right. :sarcasm:
:confused: