Votes: 7 6.1%
  • 61-80

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 80 or more

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poohhunny1605

I drive from Brandywine to Waldorf, all backroads..Its about 15-20miles to work, but I have to take the little one to day care, which is 2 miles from my office.

I am moving to Silver Spring in the fall though, so I will be commuting from Silver Spring to Waldorf, until I can find a job up there.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
La Plata to Reston, VA

Morning: leave La Plata NLT 0430 Duration: 1:20

Evening: Leave Reston ~1600 Duration: 2:00 - 3:00 average

Car: 5 gal gas per day
Truck: 8 gal gas per day

4 Hrs per day equals about 24 work weeks per year just staring through the windshield.
Fuel and tolls: about $6,000 per year.
195 days to retirement.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I say try and find closer, unless you like sitting in traffic. :shrug: Seriously, my commute took up so much of my life and I didn't even realize it. That's going to be time you don't get to spend with your family, friends or doing the activities that you want to after work.

Depends on the hours you work. I get home at 3pm and have 5 hours to do chores, play with kids, run errands, etc. I am home when the school bus drops my oldest off at home. I like my schedule of 5am-1:30pm. Plus, I like knowing that my work day is half over by the time my husband's work day is just starting. :evil:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I am currently about 3-4 miles away. After waiting a good bit on another opportunity to come through that still hasn't the wife and I are looking to buy. the house we are looking at now would make it a 52 mile drive one way. I say it is worth it to own my own home but wanted to see average time..
Where is the house and where do you work? That's an IMPORTANT bit of info.

If you're driving from Mechanicsville to Ridge, I'd say buy the house. That drive is a cake walk.

Rael

Supper's Ready
18.5 miles, sometimes only 23 minutes. Pretty good for this area, I can't complain when I read some of these monster commutes.

K

kris31280

16.52 miles according to Mapquest. Hollywood to Leonardtown.

KWAK

I go from Waldorf to Mechanicsville (to drop off at daycare) and then to NW DC - I'd say about 50 miles one way. I drop her off at 7:00 in the morning and get to work around 9:00. I leave work at 5:00 and pick her up from various after-care around 6:30 - 7:00.

I'm currently looking for something closer to home - no matter what the paycut.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I go from Waldorf to Mechanicsville (to drop off at daycare) and then to NW DC - I'd say about 50 miles one way. I drop her off at 7:00 in the morning and get to work around 9:00. I leave work at 5:00 and pick her up from various after-care around 6:30 - 7:00.

:yikes: that's around 5 hours a day in you car to get to an 8 hour a day job.

M

Mousebaby

Hubby is 2.5 miles from his job from our door and he uses his bicycle most of the time to go. So no gas used. He loves the fact that he is that close to work! :biggrin:

KWAK

:yikes: that's around 5 hours a day in you car to get to an 8 hour a day job.

Yes it is. I constantly joke that I could be in the Outer Banks with the time I spend in the car every day!

See why I'm desperately looking for a new job?? This new schedule is killing me!

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
CLeValley and I work at the same place so we carpool. It takes about 45 -60 minutes to work and from work. We leave our house at 6:30 a.m. at work around 7-15 - 7:30 and leave at 4:00 and are usually home around 4:45. It all depends on how many stupid people there are on their cellphones on 210 and cant drive over 55.

I drive from Brandywine to Waldorf, all backroads..Its about 15-20miles to work, but I have to take the little one to day care, which is 2 miles from my office.

I am moving to Silver Spring in the fall though, so I will be commuting from Silver Spring to Waldorf, until I can find a job up there.
:don'tdoit:

I do Mechanicsville to Silver Spring.

4 miles to Keller Bus, bus to metro center, metro to office in Silver Spring. Leave home 4:30, arrive at office at 6:15. Leave office at 3:00, arrive at home at 4:50 (5:00, 5:30 with traffic is not uncommon).

Or

55 mile drive each way.
1 to 2 hours in the a.m. depending on when exactly I leave and accidents on 5/301/495
1.5 hours pretty consistent in the p.m.

SoMDGirl42

I live 6 miles from work. Add in the extra miles for daycare drop off and pick up, my round trip is about 50 miles.

Daddy_O

Big Wheelin'
Where is the house and where do you work? That's an IMPORTANT bit of info.

If you're driving from Mechanicsville to Ridge, I'd say buy the house. That drive is a cake walk.

Work is in Hollywood, house is in Colonial Beach. Drive itself is not bad. I use to drive to St. Inigoes everyday until I ended up in Hollywood. we are looking across the bridge due to prices being so much cheaper.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Work is in Hollywood, house is in Colonial Beach. Drive itself is not bad. I use to drive to St. Inigoes everyday until I ended up in Hollywood. we are looking across the bridge due to prices being so much cheaper.

Taxes are much less in VA also

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

bohman

I've done everything from a 1 minute walk to work, all the way to a 3 hour roundtrip marathon consisting of driving rt 50, 25 Metro stops, and a bus ride.

Hate to state the obvious, but the closer you are the better. If you're single & don't mind time in a car, that's fine, but when you throw in family, home, and friends, you're going to regret spending all your time & energy commuting. Besides, they don't pay you for that crap - the people that live 5 minutes away get the same paycheck as the people driving 5 hours a day.

You can live too close to work, though - if you are literally next door, it becomes obvious when you take a sick day to goof off, as opposed to actually being sick. :lmao: I used to jokingly complain at one job, that I didn't have time to finish my morning cigarette before I got there.