Education Issues - Actions / Reactions

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

California college trustee wants to 'cull' conservative faculty, 'take 'em to the slaughterhouse'

"I think there's a segment" of people at BC, perhaps "5 percent that we have to continue to cull," said Corkins, who runs an eponymous agribusiness. Trustee Nan Gomez-Heitzeberg, a retired 30-year administrator at BC, nodded in agreement.

"Got 'em in my livestock operation, and that's why we put a rope on some of 'em and take 'em to the slaughterhouse," Corkins continued, prompting a guffaw from Gomez-Heitzeberg. "Just bothers me when the bad actors are paid staff and they're faculty," who are "hard to get rid of."

Tenured history professors Matthew Garrett and Erin Miller are leaders in the Renegade Institute, which has 23 listed "committed faculty." The duo have been on the chopping block for at least two years.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Students at expensive New York university occupy campus, demand A-grades for everyone

Though the faculty strike has since been resolved, a letter of demands now calls for A grades for all students. It says in part: "We demand that every student receives a final course grade of A as well as the removal of I/Z grades for the Fall 2022 semester." The letter insisted, "Attendance shall have no bearing on course grade." (According to the New School’s website, an "I" grade is a "temporary incomplete" and a "z" grade is an "unofficial withdrawal.")

The letter also states that occupying students demand a refund "for the loss of instructional time due to the strike" and that "this tuition refund will be proportional to the duration of the semester during which the strike is in effect."

Students are also calling for the resignations of the school’s president, provost, vice president and the disbandment of the Board of Trustees. Other demands include a tuition freeze from 2023 to 2028. As reported by The Daily Caller, students are also demanding for the university president’s house "be treated as a communal property."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

'decolonizing light'

A collection of academics at a university in Canada have partnered together for a project called “decolonizing light” which seeks to bring critical social justice to bear on the discipline of physics.

Canada’s government granted a group of academics almost $164,000 for a research project called “Decolonizing Light: Tracing and countering colonialism in contemporary physics,” a search of grant records confirmed.
Disturbingly, the academics involved admit that they have zero interest in performing science or seeking truth but are instead interested in spreading woke ideology. “The purpose of our project is not to find new or better explanations of light; we are not seeking to improve scientific ‘truth,’” scholars involved in the project wrote in one of their few published works. “Rather, our project initiatives are motivated by the marginalization of women, Black people, and Indigenous peoples particularly in physics.”…
The project is headed by a Dr. Tanja Tajmel, a special adviser to the dean of diversity, equity, and inclusion at Concordia University in Montréal, whose research interests include “investigating ‘othering’ in STEM, exploring decolonizing approaches in STEM, and developing further the meaning and understanding of equity in the STEM fields.” Of the 18 academic investigators listed on the project’s website, only one has a doctorate in astronomy. (Tajmel is trained in “physics didactics.”) Everyone else’s expertise is in unrelated, often identity-focused fields such as “First Peoples’ Studies.”

The paper the group wrote (published in 2021) is full of woke jargon and spells out how adopting their approach would result in focusing on social justice issues rather than actual science. [emphasis added]

This approach requires a critical attitude and the willingness to critically question the scientific field. Frameworks and methodologies for this purpose are, for example, feminist theory [27], critical race theory [28], and Indigenous science and technology studies [29]. As illustrated in Figure 2,5 we regard what has been referred to as the “core of knowledge in physics” [30, p. 113] as an inherent part of the social field of physics, highlighting that physics knowledge is not independent from the actors, their values and the historical context in which it was generated. Let’s elaborate this further for the example of the Planck–Einstein relation E = h · υ describing the energy E of a light quantum, a single wave-particle of light emitted or absorbed; υ is the frequency which determines the color of light, h is the Planck number named after the German physicist Max Planck who lived around 1900 in Berlin. This formula has been found valid and enabled the development of solar panels (absorption) and lasers (emission). Every STEM student is expected to know this relation. In our project, we will not question E = h · υ.6 But we ask: What person was Max Planck? What circumstances enabled him (and others) to discover this relation? How was his work related to colonialism, by whom was he funded? What happened in this time around the world? Why were essentially only white men doing physics research? What knowledge about light was disrupted by colonialism? We consider questions of this kind as part of physics in a holistic sense.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Disturbingly, the academics involved admit that they have zero interest in performing science or seeking truth but are instead interested in spreading woke ideology.
Ok, not a problem. Resign from the natural sciences. Relinquish the science grants. Pursue your dreams in a 'woke' field. But let the real scientists pursue the betterment of society, not be a part of it's downfall.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Jim Crow Is Back: UNC Introduces New Segregated Research Fellowship

the Washington Free Beacon reported Monday that UNC, “whose affirmative action program, along with that of Harvard University, is under review by the Supreme Court—sponsors the Fellowship for Exploring Research in Nutrition, which accepts applications exclusively from students who are ‘Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC).’”

That’s right: No Irish Need Apply, just as in the bad old early days of the republic, and no one else, either, if your melanin content is insufficient. Segregation is back in the Tar Heel State, and back with a vengeance.

The website for “FERN: Fellowship for Exploring Research in Nutrition” explains that this is necessary because bad nutrition is racist: “Among the most pressing public health problems today are childhood and adulthood obesity, which contribute to chronic health conditions, such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes, and can lead to early death.”

You guessed it: racial minorities are hardest hit: “Obesity disproportionately impacts Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and other historically marginalized communities.”

However, little to nothing has been done, which UNC apparently believes is because the researchers are not generally members of these racial minority groups: “Yet people from these communities are traditionally underrepresented among researchers working to develop, research, and evaluate food and nutrition policies to address obesity.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Teacher fired for having students listen to Joe Rogan interview, Dr. Robert Malone says

"Crazy times. . . . A teacher in NY was fired for having students listen to my interview with Rogan in an extra credit assignment. Commissioner of education demanded reinstatement with back pay, and evidently the district refuses to follow the order."

Along with his Twitter post, which went viral with over 7,000 likes, Malone also shared a link to an appeal from the New York State Education Department’s website.

The appeal referenced an assignment that asked students a series of questions about a "podcast" involving Malone, who became controversial in late 2021 and 2022 for pushing back on government narratives around COVID-19 vaccinations and the liberal media’s response to the pandemic.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

ASU Wokes Itself in the Foot with 'Black Male Privilege'

I have, on several occasions, warned the younger, woke, angry generation that one day, the machine would come for them. And lo and behold, it has. Although I have to admit, I didn’t think it would be this soon. I had given it another 15 years, 10 at best. Man, was I wrong.

Because intersectionality works best with a complicated field of eligible candidates with a broad range of grievances, it must also have a steady diet of people to find guilty of the insult du jour. And black men are now on the list of potential offenders.

Arizona State University has issued a checklist dealing with Black Male Privilege. No, your eyes do not deceive you. Black men at ASU must now find ways to address their privilege. If you are a black male reading this and thinking, “Wait privilege only applies to white people,” well, no, sir. Not anymore, at least at ASU. Wokeism and Equity are like the Island of Dr. Moreau: none escape. Don’t worry, it will be someone else’s turn next year.

Campus Reform has the list, which is part of its “Project Humanities” initiative.” Here are some of the Black Male Privileges:

• “When I read African American History textbooks, I will learn mainly about black men.”
  • “I can rely on the fact that in the near 100-year history of national civil rights organizations such as the NAACP and the Urban League, virtually all of the executive directors have been male.”
  • “I will be taken more seriously as a political leader than black women.”
  • “I can be a part of a black liberation organization like the Black Panther Party where an ‘out’ rapist Eldridge Cleaver can assume [a] leadership position.”
  • “I have the ability to define black women’s beauty by European standards in terms of skin tone, hair, and body size. In comparison, black women rarely define me by European standards of beauty in terms of skin tone, hair, or body size.”
  • “I do not have to worry about the daily hassles of having my hair conforming to any standard image of beauty the way black women do.”
  • “I have the privilege of not wanting to be a virgin, but preferring that my wife or significant other be a virgin.”
  • “I can live in a world where polygamy is still an option for men in the United States as well as around the world.”
  • “I come from a tradition of humor that is based largely on insulting and disrespecting women; especially mothers.”
  • “Most of [the] lyrics I listen to in hip-hop perpetuate the ideas of males dominating women, sexually and socially.”
  • “I can believe that the success of the black family is dependent on returning men to their historical place within the family, rather than in promoting policies that strengthen black women’s independence, or that provide social benefits to black children.”
  • “I have the privilege of believing that feminism is anti-black.”
  • “I will make significantly more money as a professional athlete than members of the opposite sex will.”
  • “If I go to an HBCU, I will have incredible opportunities to exploit black women.”
  • “In college, black male professors will be involved in interracial marriages at much higher rates than members of the opposite sex will.”
  • “I have the privilege of marrying outside of the race at a much higher rate than black women marry.”
  • “I have the privilege of knowing men who are physically or sexually abusive to women and yet I still call them friends.”

You, sir, may be looking at these things and saying to yourself, “These don’t apply to me. I don’t think or act that way.” That may be true, but you’re still guilty. Sorry, that’s how it works these days. But you may have an out. You can always try the following escape clauses:

• I will do better going forward.
  • I am still learning and want to grow
  • I will do the work.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Virginia AG expands civil rights investigation to all of Fairfax County Public Schools

Last week, Attorney General Jason Miyares announced a civil rights investigation in response to allegations that administrators at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology withheld information about National Merit recognition from students and parents. The launch of the investigation followed calls from Gov. Glenn Youngkin to investigate the high school, which is ranked as the top school in the nation.

Miyares is now extending the investigation to the entire FCPS school system following reports of other schools withholding notification of National Merit recognition. Over the weekend, two administrators from Westfield High School and Langley High School in Fairfax County Public Schools system sent emails to parents alerting them that their child had been designated as a “Commended Student” by the National Merit Scholarship Co., and acknowledging the delayed notification, as first reported by the Fairfax County Times.

“It’s concerning that multiple schools throughout Fairfax County withheld merit awards from students,” Miyares said in a statement. “My office will investigate the entire Fairfax County Public Schools system to find out if any students were discriminated against and if their rights were violated.”

FCPS did not immediately respond to The Center Square’s request for comment on the attorney general’s investigation.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My question, now that Youngkin is pursuing this, what do the D's think about this. I'm sure some of their kids were cheated out of their awards. They were vapid about him running on education.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Texas A&M Medical School Removed Photos of White Male Alumni to Showcase Diversity

Jeremiah Poff reported in the Washington Examiner:

Texas A&M medical school bragged about removing photos of white male alumni
The Texas A&M School of Medicine bragged that removing photos of white male alumni was an example of its institutional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion , new documents reveal.
The institution included the response in a survey it completed for the Association of American Medical Colleges last year, which the organization used for its Diversity, Inclusion, Culture, and Equity Inventory. The school’s survey responses were obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request by the medical watchdog group Do No Harm and shared with the Washington Examiner.
The survey detailed a number of institutional commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion, or DEI, including maintaining “holistic admissions,” requiring diversity training for search committees, and reviewing salaries for “diversity.”

In response to a question that asked schools if they had modified branding and communications displays to eliminate aspects that could be “perceived as noninclusive,” the Texas A&M School of Medicine said it removed “the predominantly white male photos of [the] graduating class prominently displayed on the entrance” to the school.
The school also bragged to the AAMC that a faculty member of color said the medical school communicates “too much” to students, faculty, and staff about its “formal policies related to diversity, inclusion, and equity.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

'White, cisheteropatriarchal space': Amid woke inroads in STEM ed, dissenters wary of speaking out

This month's Joint Mathematics Meetings in Boston, the self-proclaimed "largest mathematics gathering in the world," invited Vanderbilt University's Luis Antonio Leyva to share his research on "re-imagining" the "white, cisheteropatriarchal space" of undergraduate math education by deploying "structural disruptions that advance justice" for nonwhite queer and transgender STEM majors.

The presentation by the math education professor, who has a joint appointment in gender studies, sounds like "an over-the-top caricature, another Sokal hoax," computer science professor Aryeh Kontorovich of Israel's Ben-Gurion University told The College Fix, referring to physicist Alan Sokal's 27-year-old gibberish paper in Social Text on quantum gravity as a "social and linguistic construct.")

Leyva didn't respond to a query about Kontorovich's characterization of his presentation and has hidden his Twitter account since his presentation drew wider notice.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

WHISTLEBLOWER: South Carolina schools teaching CRT

The Left will tell you that Critical Race Theory (CRT) isn’t being taught in universities and K-12 schools. They are lying to you. Critical Race Theory IS being taught and practiced in schools and universities around America. Whistleblower, Adam Mahdavi, a former student of the University of South Carolina School of Education, has come forward with evidence of how organizations are using deceptive tactics to sidestep parents and the state education standards to get CRT into the classroom.

One of the organizations working to secretly convince our children that white people are the root of all America’s problems is EL Education which partners with over 50 primary schools across the US by providing “professional development” and is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. According to their website, EL Education states they are “guided by a vision of education equity and student potential, by a reimagined definition of student achievement, and offers research-proven resources and practices.” However, they are really guided by a cynical view of American ideals and are covertly force-feeding that view to our children. They are brainwashing our kids to believe that an individual, by virtue of his race or sex, is inherently racist and/or sexist and therefore oppressive – mainly white males.