Electric Car News

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm thinking it can't be worth that much as scrap copper, there is only so much there. Most likely someone being a dick.
It's not. Couple of EV YouTubers talking about it, hardly worth the effort. And once you have it, it's a lot of effort to strip the copper away from the cooling tubes and jacketing, for a couple of feet of copper?

phreddyp

It's not. Couple of EV YouTubers talking about it, hardly worth the effort. And once you have it, it's a lot of effort to strip the copper away from the cooling tubes and jacketing, for a couple of feet of copper?
Never underestimate a copper thief, if they are dumb enough to go into a utility substation to steal ground wiring. They are certainly capable of stealing any copper at your house.

PeoplesElbow

Never underestimate a copper thief, if they are dumb enough to go into a utility substation to steal ground wiring. They are certainly capable of stealing any copper at your house.
If you're going to steal go for the lowest risk/reward ratio.

Thieves are generally stupid though, I saw a video of someone stealing a dozen or so concrete parking bumpers out of a parking lot, those things weigh 300 lbs each and couldn't bring in that much.

glhs837

Power with Control
And if you drive an ICE vehicle one less thing to worry about.
Im Worried GIF by Big Brother

Kinnakeet

I don't worry about any of that, worrying is for EV advocates.and EV owners.

The guy will never admit he is wrong and EV's are garbage...I argued with a guy a week or so ago I asked him to load his EV truck,car whatever with 1000 pounds of bricks and we will drive from MD to FLA and whoever gets there first wins he wouldnt do it! Because he knew dam well I would win hands down​

glhs837

Power with Control

The guy will never admit he is wrong and EV's are garbage...I argued with a guy a week or so ago I asked him to load his EV truck,car whatever with 1000 pounds of bricks and we will drive from MD to FLA and whoever gets there first wins he wouldnt do it! Because he knew dam well I would win hands down​

And your point is?

My point is that each type of vehicle has plusses and minuses. Each brings its own things to worry about. I'll never say categorically that any type of vehicles are garbage. Even ones I personally detest like the Yaris and Echo. They don't suit my needs and tastes, but they do for people who want what they offer. Basic transportation at a dirt cheap price.

And if I needed to take a 1,000lbs of bricks to FL, and I was on the clock, I would choose an ICE truck also. Oddly enough, that never happens to me. We've taken two trips to NH this last year. The first one, we took her Z4. Amazing drive, great on gas. Second trip, we needed to haul supplies for an upcoming wedding. so we took her Jeep Cherokee. An EV truck would take longer, but it would cost less, and during the +95% of the year that most folks are not road tripping, you don't spend time in gas station and save a good amount of money. Plusses and minuses.

If your life has you routinely running more than 300 miles a day on the clock, then yep, ICE is your deal. But that's simply not most folks lives.

Different vehicles have different strengths.

phreddyp

My point is that each type of vehicle has plusses and minuses. Each brings its own things to worry about. I'll never say categorically that any type of vehicles are garbage. Even ones I personally detest like the Yaris and Echo. They don't suit my needs and tastes, but they do for people who want what they offer. Basic transportation at a dirt cheap price.

And if I needed to take a 1,000lbs of bricks to FL, and I was on the clock, I would choose an ICE truck also. Oddly enough, that never happens to me. We've taken two trips to NH this last year. The first one, we took her Z4. Amazing drive, great on gas. Second trip, we needed to haul supplies for an upcoming wedding. so we took her Jeep Cherokee. An EV truck would take longer, but it would cost less, and during the +95% of the year that most folks are not road tripping, you don't spend time in gas station and save a good amount of money. Plusses and minuses.

If your life has you routinely running more than 300 miles a day on the clock, then yep, ICE is your deal. But that's simply not most folks lives.

Different vehicles have different strengths.
Yeah And EVs have no strengths at this point in time, unless of course your job is pizza deliveries.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah And EVs have no strengths at this point in time, unless of course your job is pizza deliveries.
Hmmm, far fewer things to go wrong, refueling over 90% of the time at home for a fraction of the cost (unless you live in some parts of CA) and massively lower scheduled maint costs, those are not strengths? Whatever makes you feel better.

phreddyp

Hmmm, far fewer things to go wrong, refueling over 90% of the time at home for a fraction of the cost (unless you live in some parts of CA) and massively lower scheduled maint costs, those are not strengths? Whatever makes you feel better.
Your assumptions are laughable on a product that's only been out 10 years . But keep dreamin.

glhs837

Power with Control
Your assumptions are laughable on a product that's only been out 10 years . But keep dreamin.

So the Model s has been out for 12 years, the Model 3 only 7. But so far its looing pretty good. Do you know the average oge of a vehicle on the roads here in the US? But in any case, some of my statements don't require time to be true. They are facts, not assumptions.

1. An EV does have far fewer moving parts than any ISE vehicle. That does mean less to go wrong.
2. Electricity rates vs fuel prices does vary, but so far the vast majority of places charging at home, where over 85% of EV owners charge, is cheaper. Might change, but that would be you making an assumption. Right now, today, its costs less for the vast majority of people.
3. Schedule maint is exactly that, scheduled. Wont change in 5 years, or 10 years, or 20 years. Brakes generally dont need replacement of either pads or rotors, no engine oil and filter, no transmission oil and filter, no spark plugs and coil packs. Again, this is a simple factual thing. EVs wont grow spark plugs 20 years down the road.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

3. Schedule maint is exactly that, scheduled. Wont change in 5 years, or 10 years, or 20 years. Brakes generally dont need replacement of either pads or rotors, no engine oil and filter, no transmission oil and filter, no spark plugs and coil packs. Again, this is a simple factual thing. EVs wont grow spark plugs 20 years down the road.

Huh? Is there some super duper permanent brake and rotor system available that never ever needs servicing? Asking for a friend that needs a brake job and would like to never ever have to need a brake service again.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
For your consideration ...

Huh? Is there some super duper permanent brake and rotor system available that never ever needs servicing? Asking for a friend that needs a brake job and would like to never ever have to need a brake service again.
EVs use regenerative braking. IE, when you take your foot off the 'gas', the motors become chargers and the load of charging becomes the brake. Most EVs now support 'one pedal driving' where you never ever have to hit the brake unless something just went south. Since you don't use the brake, it doesn't wear out.

phreddyp

So the Model s has been out for 12 years, the Model 3 only 7. But so far its looing pretty good. Do you know the average oge of a vehicle on the roads here in the US? But in any case, some of my statements don't require time to be true. They are facts, not assumptions.

1. An EV does have far fewer moving parts than any ISE vehicle. That does mean less to go wrong.
2. Electricity rates vs fuel prices does vary, but so far the vast majority of places charging at home, where over 85% of EV owners charge, is cheaper. Might change, but that would be you making an assumption. Right now, today, its costs less for the vast majority of people.
No bearings, no tires, no port or electrical connections for charging, no A/C or Heat nor defrost system, no on-board computer or entertainment system, no windshield wipers nor wiper motors nor windshield fluid, no headlights, no turn signals, no alignments needed, no window motors, no electrical terminations. You are correct none of these need Maintenace or replacement EVER. You just drive the EV until it stops, I bet you think the ash trays never get full also. This is exactly why you are a joke.

Kinnakeet

EVs use regenerative braking. IE, when you take your foot off the 'gas', the motors become chargers and the load of charging becomes the brake. Most EVs now support 'one pedal driving' where you never ever have to hit the brake unless something just went south. Since you don't use the brake, it doesn't wear out.

How then does the car know when to stop before it rearends someone..if you let off the gas pedal or should I say go forward pedal how will it stop for a red light or before a collision

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
How then does the car know when to stop before it rearends someone..if you let off the gas pedal or should I say go forward pedal how will it stop for a red light or before a collision
Damn. You people REALLY need to read up on EVs before you trash them. Find out how they work.

EVs, and most cars today have automatic forward sensors for emergency stopping with no operator assistance.

Kinnakeet

No bearings, no tires, no port or electrical connections for charging, no A/C or Heat nor defrost system, no on-board computer or entertainment system, no windshield wipers nor wiper motors nor windshield fluid, no headlights, no turn signals, no alignments needed, no window motors, no electrical terminations. You are correct none of these need Maintenace or replacement EVER. You just drive the EV until it stops, I bet you think the ash trays never get full also. This is exactly why you are a joke.
Yeap more to go wrong on a EV then a ICE vehicle...some people just want to buy shiney objects and be noticed

Kinnakeet

Damn. You people REALLY need to read up on EVs before you trash them. Find out how they work.

EVs, and most cars today have automatic forward sensors for emergency stopping with no operator assistance.
So all you have to do is push the forward pedal and when you want to stop just let off..I would never trust that BS.

Kinnakeet

My wife's Subaru has those sensors, but you still have to push the brake pedal to slow it down and stop it.