Electric Car News

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Canada to impose 100% tariff on Chinese EVs, including Teslas

OTTAWA, Aug 26 (Reuters) - Canada, following the lead of the United States and European Union, said on Monday it would impose a 100% tariff on imports of Chinese electric vehicles and announced a 25% tariff on imported steel and aluminum from China.

The duties apply to all EVs shipped from China, which would include those made by Tesla (TSLA.O), opens new tab, a Canadian government official said.

Shares of the most valuable global automaker closed down 3.2%.

Canadian imports of automobiles from China to its largest port, Vancouver, jumped 460% year over year to 44,356 in 2023, when Tesla started shipping Shanghai-made EVs to Canada.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Ottawa was acting to counter what he called China's intentional, state-directed policy of over-capacity.
"I think we all know that China is not playing by the same rules," he told reporters. The tariffs will be imposed starting Oct. 1.

"What is important about this is we're doing it in alignment and in parallel with other economies around the world," Trudeau said on the sidelines of a three-day closed-door cabinet meeting in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

PeoplesElbow

glhs837

Power with Control

Yep, if you don't choose the product that meets your needs, it wont meet your needs. A department that needs two full shifts out of a car or needs two officers in the car, these wont work. If I choose a framing hammer to break down a block wall, my days gonna suck. If I try and do framing with an 8lb sledge, again, my day will not be good.

Its not like range and interior space are not know quantities.

This a crappy acquisition problem, not an EV problem.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
IMG_6681.jpeg

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

And another instance of cord theft/vandalism.

Maybe if they didn't make these charging stations with the long charging cord, and instead just had a lid covered universally designed standard receptacle of adequate capacity for EV cable plugs built into the face of the charging station for a person to charge their EV with a self provided charging cable of sufficient length? That would end the copper thefts. Unless the thieves would want to take the risk of electrocution by breaking into an energized charging station?

Of course that would mean the these EV owners would have to take some financial responsibility and procure such cables. Or, maybe an option from the dealers to provide them. I would think a 10-20 foot properly insulated #6 wired charging cables would suffice. Easily affordable.

glhs837

Power with Control
For your consideration ...

Maybe if they didn't make these charging stations with the long charging cord, and instead just had a lid covered universally designed standard receptacle of adequate capacity for EV cable plugs built into the face of the charging station for a person to charge their EV with a self provided charging cable of sufficient length? That would end the copper thefts. Unless the thieves would want to take the risk of electrocution by breaking into an energized charging station?

Of course that would mean the these EV owners would have to take some financial responsibility and procure such cables. Or, maybe an option from the dealers to provide them. I would think a 10-20 foot properly insulated #6 wired charging cables would suffice. Easily affordable.

For level 2 charging, that might work. But not for fast charging. Those require thicker cables, some of them are liquid cooled. Another answer might be that a door or cover protecting the cable that only opens when you begin a charging session.

Of course, catching and prosecuting the criminals might be a good thing as well, but the odds are low that that happens.

PeoplesElbow

Yep, if you don't choose the product that meets your needs, it wont meet your needs. A department that needs two full shifts out of a car or needs two officers in the car, these wont work. If I choose a framing hammer to break down a block wall, my days gonna suck. If I try and do framing with an 8lb sledge, again, my day will not be good.

It's an EV problem because "we should use EV's"

glhs837

Power with Control
It's an EV problem because "we should use EV's"

Well, its an acquisition problem because someone in acquisition without sufficient knowledge either said "We should use EVs." or they didn't put together a cogent argument as to why EVs would be a Bad Choice for a dual shift, two officers in the same car department.

If I field a piece of equipment that breaks because it doesn't live up the specifications of its maker, that an equipment problem. If I field equipment that meets specifications but isn't suitable to the task, that's an acquisition problem.

If the tech needs to remove a bolt that's torqued to 200ftlbs and I buy an 1/2 inch drive 24" long breaker bar and they keep snapping the bar, that's an equipment problem.

If I buy a 3/8ths inch drive 12 inch long breaker bar for that task and it keeps snapping, that's an acquisition problem.

For single officer to a car departments that use them for one shift, Model Ys should be fine. And departments with that ops schedule love them. Cost of conversion will come down, and software accommodation for patrol needs is in work. Although I suspect part of the software issue is simply lack of training.

phreddyp

Well, its an acquisition problem because someone in acquisition without sufficient knowledge either said "We should use EVs." or they didn't put together a cogent argument as to why EVs would be a Bad Choice for a dual shift, two officers in the same car department.

If I field a piece of equipment that breaks because it doesn't live up the specifications of its maker, that an equipment problem. If I field equipment that meets specifications but isn't suitable to the task, that's an acquisition problem.

If the tech needs to remove a bolt that's torqued to 200ftlbs and I buy an 1/2 inch drive 24" long breaker bar and they keep snapping the bar, that's an equipment problem.

If I buy a 3/8ths inch drive 12 inch long breaker bar for that task and it keeps snapping, that's an acquisition problem.

For single officer to a car departments that use them for one shift, Model Ys should be fine. And departments with that ops schedule love them. Cost of conversion will come down, and software accommodation for patrol needs is in work. Although I suspect part of the software issue is simply lack of training.
Bottom line is this keep EVs for pizza deliveries and everything will be fine, anything else just a waste of time and money.

PeoplesElbow

It is an EV problem in that they arent suitable for two shifts, something known that had to be done. It is an EV problem in that it takes a hybrid or regular gas vehicle 5 minutes to fuel up. It is an EV problem due to the political pressure that was most likely placed on the PD to use EVs, some of which Im sure came from lobbying from Tesla about how great their EV is for police work. It is also an EV problem because to keep the batteries in best condition they shouldn't be charged to over 80%, why would any officer want to start out a shift without a "full tank"?

glhs837

Power with Control
It is an EV problem in that they arent suitable for two shifts, something known that had to be done. It is an EV problem in that it takes a hybrid or regular gas vehicle 5 minutes to fuel up. It is an EV problem due to the political pressure that was most likely placed on the PD to use EVs, some of which Im sure came from lobbying from Tesla about how great their EV is for police work. It is also an EV problem because to keep the batteries in best condition they shouldn't be charged to over 80%, why would any officer want to start out a shift without a "full tank"?
I mean you know what miles your officers are pulling per shift. Any fleet manager knows that. You know that you require cars to be out for two shifts. If your political bosses make you choose a vehicle that doesn't meet that, that's your leaderships problem, not the vehicle.

Charge ranges suitability depends on daily use patterns. If you officers are pulling 100-200 miles a day and take the cars home, this isn't a problem. Would you care to venture a guess as to how many police iffcers exceed 200 miles driving in a shift?

This is like the folks saying the Semi is not useful when like 80% or more of all semis travel less than 500 miles a day. They scream about a truck that wont work for 20% of the use case........ No vehicle fits 100% of anything. And they dont have to.

phreddyp

I mean you know what miles your officers are pulling per shift. Any fleet manager knows that. You know that you require cars to be out for two shifts. If your political bosses make you choose a vehicle that doesn't meet that, that's your leaderships problem, not the vehicle.

Charge ranges suitability depends on daily use patterns. If you officers are pulling 100-200 miles a day and take the cars home, this isn't a problem. Would you care to venture a guess as to how many police iffcers exceed 200 miles driving in a shift?

This is like the folks saying the Semi is not useful when like 80% or more of all semis travel less than 500 miles a day. They scream about a truck that wont work for 20% of the use case........ No vehicle fits 100% of anything. And they dont have to.
Yeah yeah yeah, ICE vehicles work better and are more versatile any day anytime . Don't need bullshit to sell an ICE car or truck they sell themselves.

PeoplesElbow

They are called emergency responders, emergencies don't always follow a trend. Having a PD shut down because vehicles have to charge isn't an option in those cases. Police, Fire Departments, Emergency Squads do have to be ready for that rare case at all times.

glhs837

Power with Control
They are called emergency responders, emergencies don't always follow a trend. Having a PD shut down because vehicles have to charge isn't an option in those cases. Police, Fire Departments, Emergency Squads do have to be ready for that rare case at all times.
Its all about management, right. Gas cruisers are not magically full all the time. You have to manage that process. This is no different. Most cruisers are not finishing up the day empty. Do all Deputies or State Police here fill up at end of shift, or do they push it til morning? No idea. You get home at say 40% charge, plug in in the driveway, maybe you get called back out 10 minutes later and the call is what 30 miles away? Here in the county, cant be much more than that, right? And if you are a rural county where you get calls 100 miles away, then maybe you require the officer to hit a level three charger on the way home or install them at the department.

My point is that the benefits depend on your departments specific use case and analysis is required. There's no blanket statement that applies to all departments.

Kinnakeet

Bottom line they are worthless for anything but maybe going to Highs a mile away for a RC and a moon pie.