Electric Car News

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope you just plain don't learn. If one thing even someone as nieve as you are is all the the numbers are skewed in anything the government announces.

But you my friend slurp them down faster than Kamala downs Willie's load.

But you are entertaining, carry on.

So someone had the US census data on car ownership "massaged" to negate your point. Even though you are the only one I ever heard make that argument. So, what, secretly there are far more single car households than the govt admits? Wait, let me guess, you know five people and three of them only have a single car..... :)

Ace Ventura All Righty Then GIF

phreddyp

So someone had the US census data on car ownership "massaged" to negate your point. Even though you are the only one I ever heard make that argument. So, what, secretly there are far more single car households than the govt admits? Wait, let me guess, you know five people and three of them only have a single car..... :)

Ace Ventura All Righty Then GIF
Keep flailing away my friend, you honestly believe the census is accurate lol. If it is it will be the 1st time in a long time. Don't stop believing my boy. I bet you are a charter member of the global warming cult too. Or don't you believe those stats, if not they will be the 1st you haven't swallowed.

So how bout a little song and dance for the audience?

PeoplesElbow

Well, looks like more than half of American households choose my reality. More of that pesky data.
That data doesn't specify drivers, just how many in a household, which can be misleading.

I truly think SUVs are so popular because they are passably good at everything even if they don't really accel at anything. Before I had a truck and only had one vehicle I got an SUV so I wasn't reliant on delivery or friends to help me haul anything that didn't fit in my trunk.

Where EV's accel is as commuters in a normal climate.

glhs837

Power with Control
That data doesn't specify drivers, just how many in a household, which can be misleading.

I truly think SUVs are so popular because they are passably good at everything even if they don't really accel at anything. Before I had a truck and only had one vehicle I got an SUV so I wasn't reliant on delivery or friends to help me haul anything that didn't fit in my trunk.

Where EV's accel is as commuters in a normal climate.
But the conversation wasn't about drivers. This conversation was about how many vehicles in a household. He specifically said that an EV doesn't work for a single vehicle household.

glhs837

Power with Control
Keep flailing away my friend, you honestly believe the census is accurate lol. If it is it will be the 1st time in a long time. Don't stop believing my boy. I bet you are a charter member of the global warming cult too. Or don't you believe those stats, if not they will be the 1st you haven't swallowed.

So how bout a little song and dance for the audience?
Well then what is your source of information that shows what you believe is more accurate? Or is it just a feeling you have?

PeoplesElbow

But the conversation wasn't about drivers. This conversation was about how many vehicles in a household. He specifically said that an EV doesn't work for a single vehicle household.
Man, you should just do what I do and ignore him. He isn't ignore, but just one of those people I don't pay attention to.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Its all about management, right. Gas cruisers are not magically full all the time. You have to manage that process. This is no different. Most cruisers are not finishing up the day empty. Do all Deputies or State Police here fill up at end of shift, or do they push it til morning? No idea. You get home at say 40% charge, plug in in the driveway, maybe you get called back out 10 minutes later and the call is what 30 miles away? Here in the county, cant be much more than that, right? And if you are a rural county where you get calls 100 miles away, then maybe you require the officer to hit a level three charger on the way home or install them at the department.

My point is that the benefits depend on your departments specific use case and analysis is required. There's no blanket statement that applies to all departments.

All true. Except that an ICE vehicle can be fueled up rickytic. An emergency/police use EV doesn't have that luxury.

Also, if law enforcement EV's do become a reality, is a deputy or trooper going to be reimbursed for the electrical modification to their home and electrical usage as well? And really, isn't that just a waste of taxpayer monies on charging infrastructure in a cop's house and other such things? Especially if they themselves do not own an EV nor plan to ever own one? Why spend all this money to install special charging infrastructure just so police can have an EV when gas stations are ubiquitous.

phreddyp

Well then what is your source of information that shows what you believe is more accurate? Or is it just a feeling you have?
I don't put much stock in polls and surveys and trends. But you are certainly allowed to believe what you want, no matter what the fairytail is.

It has served me well in my lifetime and I see no reason to change.

Maybe you and people's elbow can get together, but I doubt it, he is much more astute than you will ever be.

It appears to me that EVs are reaching a go-no go point along with most of the climate change positions such as s solar, wind, fuel cells. Time will tell.

By the way nuclear, coal and oil ain't going away for a long long time.

glhs837

Power with Control
Man, you should just do what I do and ignore him. He isn't ignore, but just one of those people I don't pay attention to.

Not like it takes a lot of effort to rebut his points, and sometimes I learn things I didn't know. Any way you come to knowledge ain't bad. well, SERE kinda sucked, and Panic in a Drum wasnt reaf fun, but generally speaking.

For your consideration ...

All true. Except that an ICE vehicle can be fueled up rickytic. An emergency/police use EV doesn't have that luxury.

Also, if law enforcement EV's do become a reality, is a deputy or trooper going to be reimbursed for the electrical modification to their home and electrical usage as well? And really, isn't that just a waste of taxpayer monies on charging infrastructure in a cop's house and other such things? Especially if they themselves do not own an EV nor plan to ever own one? Why spend all this money to install special charging infrastructure just so police can have an EV when gas stations are ubiquitous.

Why? Budget of course. When you look at what it saves the taxpayer, costs like $500-5k for a charger at the officers house are pretty small change. You see the horror stories about "It cost 15K to put an charger at my house!!!!" but most are far less. When you see a crazy number like that its usually something like the main panel was 50 feet away from the garage and the basement was finished or they needed/wanted to trench through 30 feet of concrete driveway. Most cases not that crazy. Bennie for the officer, savings for the taxpayer. And again, I'm wondering how often that really happens that an off duty cop in called in right after shift with a need to drive more than 30-40 miles.

I don't put much stock in polls and surveys and trends. But you are certainly allowed to believe what you want, no matter what the fairytail is.

It has served me well in my lifetime and I see no reason to change.

Maybe you and people's elbow can get together, but I doubt it, he is much more astute than you will ever be.

It appears to me that EVs are reaching a go-no go point along with most of the climate change positions such as s solar, wind, fuel cells. Time will tell.

By the way nuclear, coal and oil ain't going away for a long long time.

I agree coal and nuke are not going anywhere, nor should they. Shifting more coal to natural gas a smart move, I think, and we should be building nuke plants as fast as we can. So what do you put stock in? Surveys and trends, meh, not so much for me. Hard data tracked back to verifiable sources, that's a bit different in my opinion.

You do need to vet even that though. Baltimore had the great drop in homicides and rapes simply because they stopped reporting them.

You need to identity why someone would skew the numbers, what benefit is in it for them. In this case, what's the motive for the census folks to mis-report the numbers of cars per household? I would grant you govt reported numbers regarding EVs might be skewed to support the current administrations support of same. But this stat has nothing to do with EVs.

Do you really think that there are more single vehicle households than indicated in that information? What makes you think that? What is your reasoning? Just saying its bullshit without any thought out reasons

phreddyp

Not like it takes a lot of effort to rebut his points, and sometimes I learn things I didn't know. Any way you come to knowledge ain't bad. well, SERE kinda sucked, and Panic in a Drum wasnt reaf fun, but generally speaking.

Why? Budget of course. When you look at what it saves the taxpayer, costs like $500-5k for a charger at the officers house are pretty small change. You see the horror stories about "It cost 15K to put an charger at my house!!!!" but most are far less. When you see a crazy number like that its usually something like the main panel was 50 feet away from the garage and the basement was finished or they needed/wanted to trench through 30 feet of concrete driveway. Most cases not that crazy. Bennie for the officer, savings for the taxpayer. And again, I'm wondering how often that really happens that an off duty cop in called in right after shift with a need to drive more than 30-40 miles.

I agree coal and nuke are not going anywhere, nor should they. Shifting more coal to natural gas a smart move, I think, and we should be building nuke plants as fast as we can. So what do you put stock in? Surveys and trends, meh, not so much for me. Hard data tracked back to verifiable sources, that's a bit different in my opinion.

You do need to vet even that though. Baltimore had the great drop in homicides and rapes simply because they stopped reporting them.

You need to identity why someone would skew the numbers, what benefit is in it for them. In this case, what's the motive for the census folks to mis-report the numbers of cars per household? I would grant you govt reported numbers regarding EVs might be skewed to support the current administrations support of same. But this stat has nothing to do with EVs.

Do you really think that there are more single vehicle households than indicated in that information? What makes you think that? What is your reasoning? Just saying its bullshit without any thought out reasons
How many of those so called households with multiple vehicles have all their vehicles tagged titled and roadworthy? I would gander quite a few do not, after my trip around the country last summer where you would see houses with 6,7or 8 cars and trucks in various states of neglect in every state that I went thru. The U.S. Census is just another survey and surveys are notoriously inaccurate, people don't have to have a reason to report inaccurate answers many do just out of plain laziness or by not understanding the question as it is stated. Do you honestly believe a Census worker being paid $10 an hour in the hood is doing a bang-up accurate job? My guess is that they have one hell of a time just getting someone to answer the door much less answering the questions. So where does the information come from that they state? Mail in surveys the same many people are just plain not giving out the requested information.

glhs837

Power with Control
How many of those so called households with multiple vehicles have all their vehicles tagged titled and roadworthy? I would gander quite a few do not, after my trip around the country last summer where you would see houses with 6,7or 8 cars and trucks in various states of neglect in every state that I went thru. The U.S. Census is just another survey and surveys are notoriously inaccurate, people don't have to have a reason to report inaccurate answers many do just out of plain laziness or by not understanding the question as it is stated. Do you honestly believe a Census worker being paid $10 an hour in the hood is doing a bang-up accurate job? My guess is that they have one hell of a time just getting someone to answer the door much less answering the questions. So where does the information come from that they state? Mail in surveys the same many people are just plain not giving out the requested information.

Yep, people have no reason to answer accurately. But in this case, no reason not to, since there is no penalty to answering incorrectly. Heck, I have six vehicles and two motorcycles here. All of them tagged, three of active drivers on the road. Two long term projects and one down for a coolant recovery tank replacement.

The point is that I think its a safe bet that more households have two or more functioning vehicles than have only one. I also see places with lots of vehicles and not all of them running. But I see far more places with two obviously running than those. In the last two years alone, I've travelled to Boston, Nashua, driven to both of those taking the backroads, not 95, driven from Seattle to both Bremerton and Whidbey Island, Jacksonville, San Antonio, just north of Philly (multiple trips taking Route 1 most of the way), Bloomington IN via Shelbyville. In all of these places where I didnt POV, I have a rental car and drive around a lot. In my experience the number of driveways that have two or more functional vehicles outweigh the single or "junkyard" houses.

So maybe the data is wrong, maybe not. My experience says it is, yours says not. Would a poll here change your mind?

phreddyp

Yep, people have no reason to answer accurately. But in this case, no reason not to, since there is no penalty to answering incorrectly. Heck, I have six vehicles and two motorcycles here. All of them tagged, three of active drivers on the road. Two long term projects and one down for a coolant recovery tank replacement.

The point is that I think its a safe bet that more households have two or more functioning vehicles than have only one. I also see places with lots of vehicles and not all of them running. But I see far more places with two obviously running than those. In the last two years alone, I've travelled to Boston, Nashua, driven to both of those taking the backroads, not 95, driven from Seattle to both Bremerton and Whidbey Island, Jacksonville, San Antonio, just north of Philly (multiple trips taking Route 1 most of the way), Bloomington IN via Shelbyville. In all of these places where I didnt POV, I have a rental car and drive around a lot. In my experience the number of driveways that have two or more functional vehicles outweigh the single or "junkyard" houses.

So maybe the data is wrong, maybe not. My experience says it is, yours says not. Would a poll here change your mind?
Why would it, it appears to me that there are more negative views on this site on straight EVs than positives. Have they changed your viewpoint? Maybe you should practice what you preach, but leftists don't do that now do they.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Even the Progs favorite car company is throwing the brakes on the EV Religion.

Volvo reverses goal to make only EVs in 2030

Volvo's EVs and hybrids currently amount to 48% of its auto lineup

Volvo on Wednesday announced that it is dropping its goal of making only electric vehicles by 2030, saying it now expects it will still be offering some hybrid models as part of its lineup at that point.

The Swedish company, which has China's Geely as its largest shareholder, and other automakers have seen slowing demand for EVs as price-conscious car buyers turn to hybrids and gas-powered vehicles over affordability concerns as well as access to charging stations.

Volvo and other EV makers are also bracing for the impact of European tariffs on electric cars made in China, a move that follows similar steps in the U.S.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Interesting review of the Jaguar EV. Interestingly, this Jaguar isn't built by Jag, but by a 3rd party whose only concern is building it cheap and fast and getting it out the door. But there is also a graphic displayed of car fires, EV vs ICE with surprising numbers.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why would it, it appears to me that there are more negative views on this site on straight EVs than positives. Have they changed your viewpoint? Maybe you should practice what you preach, but leftists don't do that now do they.

No, they haven't, because I understand that for a lot of folks, the hybrid use case makes sense. Accepting the increased maint in return for longer range and rapid refueling is the best case for some people. Course for horses and all that. The flaw is that some people seem to think that there has to be one vehicle that is the best overall, when its use case driven. I have never said that EVs are best for everyone. Same for hybrids. Every single user needs to evaluate their needs, budget and situation.

My point has always been that there is no best vehicle, just best ones for each persons needs. BEVs have benefits, as do hybrids and ICE. My point has always been to dispute BS about BEVs.

Bare-ya-cuda

You could, but what are the odds that actually happens? Thinking antifa attacking? City center type stuff doesn't require a lot of miles to respond to. 10 miles maybe? Maybe some Fast and Furious or Oceans 11 style heist? What criminal plot requires them to disable emergency response? Heck, quicker and easier to just flatten every tire in lot......... I don't know that that has ever happened.

And I've never claimed they are for everyone. But I think for the vast majority of departments, it makes sense. Maybe keep a blended fleet so you have that immediate response. How many places ever had events that require every single vehicle they own to go do 100+ miles at a hat drop?

I get that hybrid benefit, but along with that, you get all the maint cost that comes with a gas engine. So, I think you need to make a use case where if I turn the car in at end of shift with 20% charge (call it 50 miles left) What emergency is going to require all the cars off duty to drive 50 miles? Where might that happen?
At a time when police pursuits are increasing.

phreddyp

No, they haven't, because I understand that for a lot of folks, the hybrid use case makes sense. Accepting the increased maint in return for longer range and rapid refueling is the best case for some people. Course for horses and all that. The flaw is that some people seem to think that there has to be one vehicle that is the best overall, when its use case driven. I have never said that EVs are best for everyone. Same for hybrids. Every single user needs to evaluate their needs, budget and situation.

My point has always been that there is no best vehicle, just best ones for each persons needs. BEVs have benefits, as do hybrids and ICE. My point has always been to dispute BS about BEVs.
OK kamala I see your point, polls aren't worth anything unless they jive with your viewpoint.

somdwatch

Just returned from a trip where we had to wait for 3.5 hours to pick up a rental car. The reason for the wait, NO ONE wanted the EV's. You had to wait in-line for a gas powered vehicle to be returned.
Weather was great in CO this past week, problem was there's no reliable infrastructure in place.