Electric Car News

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just read a bunch of articles on EVs and scooters when submerged in saltwater from a hurricane.
Going to be a lot of vehicles, ICE and EV, suddenly popping up in the used car markets. Resist the urge to buy, could be a flood damage car and unless you, or have a shop, do a complete survey including pulling the floor panels off, you'll won't know until all the electrics suddenly start failing.

glhs837

Power with Control
For your consideration ...

Seen a GMC Hmmwv EV at the Calvert Fair. Over $106,000! CRAZY. Who would want something like that?

Not too many people. They have I think four or five of them at the Lexington Park GM dealer. Look like about a bit less than 5K sold this year. Or about a bit less than Cybertruck sold last month.

PeoplesElbow

Oh jebus. Was anyone worried about F-250s? Or Suburban's? Has anyone tested these against guardrails? And who crashes into guardrails at a 90 degree angle at 60 mph?
The dangerous crash is the one into the end of the guard rail where it spears the car and its occupant.

glhs837

Power with Control
The dangerous crash is the one into the end of the guard rail where it spears the car and its occupant.

You mean the Rivian video? I didn't see the rail enter the vehicle.

But even so that has nothing do with being electric. Guardrails spearing cars and tracks has been a thing for years now. Are they saying that the spearing is worse because its heavy? Again, was this not a problem for other heavy vehicles?

PeoplesElbow

You mean the Rivian video? I didn't see the rail enter the vehicle.

But even so that has nothing do with being electric. Guardrails spearing cars and tracks has been a thing for years now. Are they saying that the spearing is worse because its heavy? Again, was this not a problem for other heavy vehicles?
Any heavier vehicle is going to go farther into the spear, commercial vehicles are much much heavier, but the driver is usually higher up and has more metal (the engine) between them and the spear. I've seen sedans that were speared, the thought of someone being on the receiving end of that is pretty scary.

Changing the way the end of guard rails are made can solve a fair bit of the risk.

glhs837

Power with Control
Any heavier vehicle is going to go farther into the spear, commercial vehicles are much much heavier, but the driver is usually higher up and has more metal (the engine) between them and the spear. I've seen sedans that were speared, the thought of someone being on the receiving end of that is pretty scary.

Changing the way the end of guard rails are made can solve a fair bit of the risk.

Agreed, but states need to spend, and there's always another shiny penny. Racist highways don't become not racist without funding.... Ask Petey B

glhs837

Power with Control
This is an absolutely brilliant, yet simple, move by Ford. This guy highlights the hurdles faced by EV adoption that some don't want to hear about.

Yep, a good move. Saves the buyer about $500-$600 bucks. You can buy a variety on Amazon all day long. Damn, seems that Ford charges dearly for theirs, almost $800 bucks.

I'm still trying to find out why this thing hasnt gone wider. I suspect that utilities are pressured by local electrical contractor groups to NOT do that as they see installing hardwired EV chargers as a big profit center.

For me, this would be a better solution since while I do have a garage, its on the lower level so we driveway park most of the time and the driveway spot is only about 15 feet away from the meter.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Yep, a good move. Saves the buyer about $500-$600 bucks. You can buy a variety on Amazon all day long. Damn, seems that Ford charges dearly for theirs, almost $800 bucks.

I'm still trying to find out why this thing hasnt gone wider. I suspect that utilities are pressured by local electrical contractor groups to NOT do that as they see installing hardwired EV chargers as a big profit center.

For me, this would be a better solution since while I do have a garage, its on the lower level so we driveway park most of the time and the driveway spot is only about 15 feet away from the meter.
Most buyers I think will find the not having to think all in one deal far exceeded $500 IMHO.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

This is very similar to a generator L14-30 input, which has been available for a while.

a8ec02ab57a3affccf565b6627df385f.jpeg

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Tesla stock drops 5% after Q3 deliveries fall short of estimates

Tesla (TSLA) announced third quarter deliveries on Wednesday that slightly missed expectations, sending the stock down about 5% in early trading.

The EV maker delivered 462,890 vehicles in the three months to Sept. 30, up 6.4% quarter over quarter to mark the first quarter of delivery growth this year. The numbers also came in ahead of the 435,059 EVs the company delivered in the year-ago period.

But investors have also debated a “notably lower” annual vehicle growth rate, which Tesla warned about after the first quarter.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Imagine plugging in to charge only to find out the power company needed electricity so they took charge out of your car.

Yet at the same time, they are making it more and more difficult for homeowners with solar on the house. New restrictions, severe reduction in any payback for power supplied to the grid... Anything to capitalize on power and prevent independence.

I'm all for bi-directional charging, but I would want it for me to be able to power the house when the grid goes down, not for them to steal my vehicle power and leave me stranded.

PeoplesElbow

Yet at the same time, they are making it more and more difficult for homeowners with solar on the house. New restrictions, severe reduction in any payback for power supplied to the grid... Anything to capitalize on power and prevent independence.

I'm all for bi-directional charging, but I would want it for me to be able to power the house when the grid goes down, not for them to steal my vehicle power and leave me stranded.
I can just see an "oops there was a glitch, sorry all your cars are dead this morning"

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I can just see an "oops there was a glitch, sorry all your cars are dead this morning"
But unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't just reverse flow in a V2H scenario. You have to enable it via the console or app to export power from the vehicle. So if you're charging, it won't just start discharging unless they have a means to override your controls.