Electric Car News

Clem72

Not sure what you are seeing but I dont' know anyone that ever replaced an F150 for mechanical reasons below the 250k mark and most never were. But good luck to you and your neighbors.

Might want to tell them to change that oil every year or so. :jet:
My brother is 0 for 2 on them making 50k. One was an early duel fuel model that crap the bed when he filled it with e85. The other got stuck in 4-low in the first week of ownership as well as several other issues and he managed to get the dealer to take it back. I think he drives a nissan truck now.

But obviously most f150s are good vehicles otherwise they wouldn't sell so many.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I'm guessing you never bought one of GMs wonderful 5.3Ls. Or one of the early 2000-2005s that were plagued with cooling issues. Or one of the 1980s or early 90s 305cids.

Of course, anyone that ever bought one with the stout and reliable 350cid or 454cid in it was gold. :yay:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
My brother is 0 for 2 on them making 50k. One was an early duel fuel model that crap the bed when he filled it with e85. The other got stuck in 4-low in the first week of ownership as well as several other issues and he managed to get the dealer to take it back. I think he drives a nissan truck now.

But obviously most f150s are good vehicles otherwise they wouldn't sell so many.
I've never used E85 in one of mine. Don't trust that ####. Sorry for your brother.

phreddyp

I'm guessing you never bought one of GMs wonderful 5.3Ls. Or one of the early 2000-2005s that were plagued with cooling issues. Or one of the 1980s or early 90s 305cids.

Of course, anyone that ever bought one with the stout and reliable 350cid or 454cid in it was gold. :yay:
I think that most people drive them as regular vehicles, I am talking about an actual work trunk, not some wuss who drives to and from work and then picks up 20 bags of mulch on the weekend!

phreddyp

Ah yes, your two point dataset. Again, your friends making poor choices in what to buy doenst mean that all EVs suck.
You are misinformed again, just because I have watched them struggle you think that they are the only people with EV's that I know own them?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I think that most people drive them as regular vehicles, I am talking about an actual work trunk, not some wuss who drives to and from work and then picks up 20 bags of mulch on the weekend!

My 85 with 300-I6 and 92 with 300-I6 were both Custom work trucks. The 92 had an enhanced package installed to give it 2300lbs of payload. My 2004 Heritage is a work truck with 198400 on it right now. ( Currently loaned to my nephew who uses it for his construction job ) The 1989 company truck I used back in the 90s was a work truck. My 2001 had a lot of frills but was still used to haul, tow and travel 200k miles.

:sshrug:

Of course I always treated mine equipment right and kept it well maintained.

Kinnakeet

I'm really curious about the Equinox. Given GMs been selling the Bolt for a loss forever, I'm not sure how they can pull off the Equinox at that price point. Tesla has three things going for it in the "25K Car"

1. Purportedly, this vehicle will be the one to feature an entirely cast subframe. Nobody else is close with the large castings.
2, The structural battery pack. The first gen in the Model Y not super impressive from a capacity standpoint, but what Tesla does so well is iterate rapidly. Expect more capacity and quicker charge times.
3. This new body assembly method. IT sounds super dry and dull, but so does lining your factory with 100 loading docks down the side so that parts and material go right from the wall closest to where they are needed directly to the point of need. "Big deal, you reduced the size of the Receiving department." But no, what you've done is reduced the time and effort expended on movement and finding of parts and stuff down to almost nothing.

Bonus round. I suspect perhaps that there will be a 30K conventional version of the 25K car, and a 25K version made like the Cybertruck. Losing the need for all those body panels and paint would be where your 5K lower price comes from.
Still junk..why isnt anyone talking about the mining process to get the material for the batteries and what do you do when the batteries are no good anymore and how about the extra strain on the power grid if any? Its not worth the time or the money..like I said before I can assume that your long distance trips will take far longer as there are not charging stations all over like there are gas stations and how many miles can you go before you have to start looking for a charge station,My diesel truck can travel about 390 miles before I have to look for fuel and my Subaru about 425 maybe more and I wont have to clinch my butt hole hoping to find a fuel station...I think some people just buy new things just to say the did...lol

phreddyp

My 85 with 300-I6 and 92 with 300-I6 were both Custom work trucks. The 92 had an enhanced package installed to give it 2300lbs of payload. My 2004 Heritage is a work truck with 198400 on it right now. ( Currently loaned to my nephew who uses it for his construction job ) The 1989 company truck I used back in the 90s was a work truck. My 2001 had a lot of frills but was still used to haul, tow and travel 200k miles.

:sshrug:

Of course I always treated mine equipment right and kept it well maintained.
I agree, but maintenance is only part of the equation. A truck that is only driven by one person or family is easy, when you have a fleet and many drivers, maintenance and driving habits bumps it up a couple of notches

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Still junk..why isnt anyone talking about the mining process to get the material for the batteries and what do you do when the batteries are no good anymore and how about the extra strain on the power grid if any?

Focus on the promises, not the price.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
why isnt anyone talking about the mining process to get the material for the batteries and what do you do when the batteries are no good anymore and how about the extra strain on the power grid
They are. New tech is being developed to get away from the need for rare mined components. Recycling is taking a bigger foothold. And many have talked about the grid loads. Here's one, but many others say the very same thing. A non-issue.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I'd love to have a bill as low as 900kwh. I really wonder whos ass they pull these numbers from. :lmao:

In reality, that would only get me to the middle of the month at best. :lmao:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
"We didn't one day say grid cant' handle the demand of air conditioning and not do it"

They also didnt' say "We can't make anymore fossil fuel power plants to meet the demand" like they are now.

Clem72

My diesel truck can travel about 390 miles before I have to look for fuel and my Subaru about 425 maybe more and I wont have to clinch my butt hole hoping to find a fuel station...I think some people just buy new things just to say the did...lol
Just as a point of reference, do you need this often? My normal commute is a couple of miles around town. Once a month or less I might go to Waldorf or DC.

I have zero reason to travel further, all my living relatives are on the other side of the country and I have no desire to make that trip by car (gas or electric).

For me a cheap EV would make perfect sense.

If you regularly drive more than 300 miles, then obviously an EV isn't the best choice. Neither is a diesel truck likely the best choice (unless your hauling stuff), but you do you.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm guessing you never bought one of GMs wonderful 5.3Ls.

or Tahoe's with Transmission problems

how about the latest GM V8's

the one that shuts off cylinders in cruise mode ... the 1st item owners undo - killing the lockout with eprom flashing or a cam / lifter swap

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
... Transmission problems
That right there was what steered me away from a Dodge Truck back in the 90s. I really liked the body style but Mopar had so many issues with Transmissions, across their lineup, it wasn't worth the risk to me.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I am talking about an actual work trunk, not some wuss who drives to and from work and then picks up 20 bags of mulch on the weekend!

I worked for a DC plumbing company 90 - 94 we had a fleet of 6 E-350 vans from an 88 to a 92 ... all driven all over DC, the owner, his son, and Brother all lived in Calvert and drove to DC EVERY DAY, then drove in DC all day .... nary an issue other than routine maintenance - Oil Brake and Tires

phreddyp

I worked for a DC plumbing company 90 - 94 we had a fleet of 6 E-350 vans from an 88 to a 92 ... all driven all over DC, the owner, his son, and Brother all lived in Calvert and drove to DC EVERY DAY, then drove in DC all day .... nary an issue other than routine maintenance - Oil Brake and Tires
Sounds like Stevans plumbing?