Electric Car News

phreddyp

Pity your filter for EV news is not as discriminating.
1st rule in evaluating any product or service that is championed by both government and the manufacturers that sell the product is you have to take what they say with a grain a of salt and expose yourself to what the actual users say. You are just a mouthpiece for the EV industry and Bidens cult. EV owners that I know do not paint anywhere near the rosy picture that you wish to express, yes, they love the concept and the acceleration and home charging of EV's but reality eventually overrides the joy once the negatives come to light.

The 1st rule is extremely important whether it involves products, religion or politics. Bottom line is this, if someone or something has a stake in it you would be wise to take the time to evaluate the other sides take on the subject.

glhs837

Power with Control
1st rule in evaluating any product or service that is championed by both government and the manufacturers that sell the product is you have to take what they say with a grain a of salt and expose yourself to what the actual users say. You are just a mouthpiece for the EV industry and Bidens cult. EV owners that I know do not paint anywhere near the rosy picture that you wish to express, yes, they love the concept and the acceleration and home charging of EV's but reality eventually overrides the joy once the negatives come to light.

The 1st rule is extremely important whether it involves products, religion or politics. Bottom line is this, if someone or something has a stake in it you would be wise to take the time to evaluate the other sides take on the subject.

The first rule of data is that anecdotes are not data. User information is important, but it must include all the users, not just the unhappy ones. I'm nobody's mouthpiece, I just follow the data, not the anecdotes. If a product has millions of happy users and thousands of unhappy ones, is the product flawed? Been a car guy a long time and I know this. The bitchin section of any forum for any vehicle is always more vociferous than the happy section. Human nature.

I look at the unhappy people. I try and see what they are unhappy about. And see if that might carry over to what I expect my experience to be. Are they are unhappy with their charging network? Are they unhappy with range? Service? Sometimes it's a case of people eating McDonald's and assuming every restaurant sucks. Sometimes its people who bought a good product and it still sucked or them. Everything made by man can and will fail. And service can still suck, no matter the provider. But such things need to looked at in the aggregate.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The first rule of data is that anecdotes are not data. User information is important, but it must include all the users, not just the unhappy ones. I'm nobody's mouthpiece, I just follow the data, not the anecdotes. If a product has millions of happy users and thousands of unhappy ones, is the product flawed? Been a car guy a long time and I know this. The bitchin section of any forum for any vehicle is always more vociferous than the happy section. Human nature.

I look at the unhappy people. I try and see what they are unhappy about. And see if that might carry over to what I expect my experience to be. Are they are unhappy with their charging network? Are they unhappy with range? Service? Sometimes it's a case of people eating McDonald's and assuming every restaurant sucks. Sometimes its people who bought a good product and it still sucked or them. Everything made by man can and will fail. And service can still suck, no matter the provider. But such things need to looked at in the aggregate.
There you go again. Trying to be rational and all that.

phreddyp

Data is literally the plural of anecdotes. I agree with your point, but your opener was suspect.
Virtually every discovery or progress is started by an anecdote, someone has a need and someone says it cannot be done hence the start. Nice try though.

Clem72

Virtually every discovery or progress is started by an anecdote, someone has a need and someone says it cannot be done hence the start. Nice try though.
Why do your words agree with me while your tone says otherwise?

I was simply pointing out that one person's experience is considered to be an anecdote, but 100 peoples experiences compiled together is data.

glhs837

Power with Control
Data is literally the plural of anecdotes. I agree with your point, but your opener was suspect.

Sorry, I should have said "individual anecdotes". Because IIRC, phreddy counts his neighbors two cars as the majority of his data points. :)

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Autonomous Jaguar EV That Caught Fire At Waymo Facility May Take Weeks To Extinguish

Fire crews in Arizona say that their official procedure for EV fires is now to cover them in wet sand for weeks after the fire has been put out

The Phoenix Fire Department had an opportunity to test its latest response tactics for electric vehicles due to a recent fire that broke out at a Waymo facility in Phoenix, Arizona. The incident involved a single electric Jaguar i-Pace modified by Waymo and requires a thorough extinguishing process that will take several weeks to complete.

What started the fire in the first place is still not known, but the event started at one of the company’s facilities in Phoenix. Owned by Google’s parent company, Alphabet Inc., it is used to download data collected by autonomous test vehicles during their daily operations.

Greening the Planet, One Inextinguishable Fire after another.

glhs837

Power with Control
Autonomous Jaguar EV That Caught Fire At Waymo Facility May Take Weeks To Extinguish

Fire crews in Arizona say that their official procedure for EV fires is now to cover them in wet sand for weeks after the fire has been put out

The Phoenix Fire Department had an opportunity to test its latest response tactics for electric vehicles due to a recent fire that broke out at a Waymo facility in Phoenix, Arizona. The incident involved a single electric Jaguar i-Pace modified by Waymo and requires a thorough extinguishing process that will take several weeks to complete.

What started the fire in the first place is still not known, but the event started at one of the company’s facilities in Phoenix. Owned by Google’s parent company, Alphabet Inc., it is used to download data collected by autonomous test vehicles during their daily operations.

Greening the Planet, One Inextinguishable Fire after another.

They choose a crappy method and you blame the car? What's wrong with a dumpster full of water. The issue is heat. If you remove the heat, you stop the fire. Sand will insulate the fire. Stupid choice.

Looks like one crew has it right...

Less than an hour before that call, Tolleson firefighters and police officers were dispatched to the report of an electric car fire inside a building at Manheim Auto Auction near 83rd Avenue and Van Buren Street. Police say crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from a Chevy Bolt inside the auto shop.

They worked to remove the car from the shop and also placed it inside a large dumpster. Firefighters then filled the dumpster with water, submerging the car to extinguish the fire. No one was hurt and no other damage was reported.

SamSpade

Sorry, I should have said "individual anecdotes". Because IIRC, phreddy counts his neighbors two cars as the majority of his data points. :)
LOTS of positive anecdotal information is kind of the same thing. About the best you might be able to claim is that the overwhelming majority of EV owners you know or have spoken with or somehow interactive with are satisfied with their purchase.

That's still not the best selection, because it's - well it's self selecting. People for better or worse, choose to buy them, and usually, people who can easily afford them. They may easily have a reason why they WENT to an EV and hence, it suits their lifestyle - in very much the way an EV will NOT suit mine, just as a person who lives in NYC wonders why anyone would buy a car, when taxis, buses and a subway can take you everywhere you want to go.

phreddyp

Two who said anything about two, I've talked to quite a few current, future and former EV owners Don't confuse yourself because my neighbors had two got rid of one and is looking to offload the other, those I have watched 1st hand. I have also had the opportunity to confer with several people personally who were going to purchase one then realized that EV's are not ready for prime time. Which is the major problem with them, despite the major push for them from greenies the media, manufacturers and Biden.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
They choose a crappy method and you blame the car? What's wrong with a dumpster full of water. The issue is heat. If you remove the heat, you stop the fire. Sand will insulate the fire. Stupid choice.

Looks like one crew has it right...

Good idea, as long as there is sufficient water to cool. Lithium batteries can self-sustain a chemical fire even underwater, so the trick is to provide enough cooling to stop the reaction. Dump it in the dumpster, then contuunually add cool water.

glhs837

Power with Control
LOTS of positive anecdotal information is kind of the same thing. About the best you might be able to claim is that the overwhelming majority of EV owners you know or have spoken with or somehow interactive with are satisfied with their purchase.

That's still not the best selection, because it's - well it's self selecting. People for better or worse, choose to buy them, and usually, people who can easily afford them. They may easily have a reason why they WENT to an EV and hence, it suits their lifestyle - in very much the way an EV will NOT suit mine, just as a person who lives in NYC wonders why anyone would buy a car, when taxis, buses and a subway can take you everywhere you want to go.
That's why I recommend not using anecdotal data of any kind. Look at actual studies. Look at who funded those studies. Look at the data behind the abstract. It's the only way to get good information. If I talk to a thousand people in Southern California about Tesla's or I talked with a thousand people in Des Moines, Iowa about Tesla you're going to get two completely different data sets. If I talked to a thousand owners of Nissan leafs about the ownership experience or I talk to a thousand owners of Chevy bolts, you'll get different answers from both sets of owners. Heck, if you talk to the people that bought the first thousand Nissan leads and then you talk to the people who bought the last thousand Nissan leads, you'll get completely different answers.

glhs837

Power with Control
Good idea, as long as there is sufficient water to cool. Lithium batteries can self-sustain a chemical fire even underwater, so the trick is to provide enough cooling to stop the reaction. Dump it in the dumpster, then contuunually add cool water.
If you want to get real fancy you can just circulate the water.

SamSpade

Two who said anything about two, I've talked to quite a few current, future and former EV owners Don't confuse yourself because my neighbors had two got rid of one and is looking to offload the other, those I have watched 1st hand. I have also had the opportunity to confer with several people personally who were going to purchase one then realized that EV's are not ready for prime time. Which is the major problem with them, despite the major push for them from greenies the media, manufacturers and Biden.
I think people's reluctance to move to them - among other things - means that obviously, they're not going to be for everyone.

Which is why the government's maneuvers regarding them pisses people off - they're trying to force the issue on you. Since they're not succeeding with incentives, some states are going to force you.

Every major technological change I know of has met with SOME resistance, but rapid adoption always came because it soon became clear it was superior - and cost effective. Once steamboats, trains and planes were invented - within twenty years, we were building railroads across continents, running steamboats across states and flying planes over oceans - and even fighting with them in wars.

Back in the day, they had a phrase - "killer app". An application whose adoption was so compelling - and so advantageous to have - that people would rush to adopt the technology. Word processing? Once it was obvious it was superior to a typewriter, people ditched their typewriters, and today kids have no idea what the hell they are. And onlyt very strange people still use them.

Spreadsheets? Do you know WHY they're called that? Because that's what they used to BE. Walls of paper and calculations and columns - until someone figured out how to do it on a computer. First it was VisiCalc, then Lotus 1-2-3.

Desktop publishing and printers made the adoption of GUIs and laser printers vital. Why? Because it was SO MUCH BETTER, if you didn't adopt it, your COMPETITORS would.

THAT is how technology advances. You can have people go out to the field and thresh grain - or you can have a combine do it faster and cheaper.

BUILD a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.

You don't need "incentives". The product is so good, people line up to get it.

Now, truth? If they made an EV that had the horsepower of my truck, went much further on a charge than my truck does on a tank of gas, and charged as fast or faster than my truck fills up -

Then sign me up. You've made a BETTER vehicle.

Until then, the argument is just - "save the planet". And with China and India polluting the hell out of it, it doesn't do a damned thing.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Spreadsheets? Do you know WHY they're called that? Because that's what they used to BE. Walls of paper and calculations and columns - until someone figured out how to do it on a computer. First it was VisiCalc, then Lotus 1-2-3.
Quatro Pro for some of us.