Electric Car News

glhs837

Power with Control
How do you know your sources are telling you the truth? Dont they regurgitate the same so called truth that you think is correct.
Because I cross check them. Back to original sources if need be. I look for follow-up articles later. Like the headline that 1.3 million in EVs burned up after hurricane Sandy. When you dive into that, it turns out that that value comes from I don't know 13 or 16 fisker karma vehicles. And again boutique vehicles handmade. Maybe not the best comparison.

glhs837

Power with Control

The hidden costs of EVs: Ohio man gets $42,000 repair bill after fender bender in electric truck

Landscaper Chris Apfelstadt of Columbus, Ohio, shared a post in a Facebook group for Rivian fans recounting how while driving his electric truck one day, he was struck from behind at a "relatively low speed." No airbags inflated, he noted, and purported pictures of the accident show only minor damage to the rear bumper of his pickup.

"I figured the repair would be expensive but had no idea!" Apfelstadt wrote on Facebook.

He went on to say that the insurance company for the woman who rear-ended him assessed the damage, estimated the repairs would cost $1,600 and wrote him a check for that amount.

Turns out, they were more than $40,000 off the mark.

The shop he sent his truck to "completely disassembled" the back of the truck, according to Apfelstadt, and discovered much more damage than previously thought based on exterior inspection alone — so much more that the "final bill" for his fender bender came to more than $42,000. Apfelstadt told Just The News the "at-fault driver's insurance covered the entire repair bill" since her policy had a $50,000 cap.

On top of the huge repair tab and the battle he says he'll face with insurance over "diminished value," Apfelstadt said it took over 10 weeks for his truck to be repaired and returned to his possession.

Article should really call it the hidden cost of buying a low volume first effort from a new carmaker. Seems the issue isn't EV specific, as none of the repairs talked about in this thread involve the battery or motors. But rather the high cost of repairing aluminum. Unless I'm mistaken, both Ford and Audi have faced criticism for the high cost of working with aluminum on ICE vehicles . As has Tesla with the Model S and X. The Model 3 and Y use more steel, I believe.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Oh, and most if not all also qualify for the 7.5k federal tax credit.
Moved this back to EV thread to continue.

Here's a list of the qualifying vehicles for credit.

And a pretty good explanation of the credits.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well like any product it won't be for everybody. One aspect you might find of interest is it also apparently can function as a solar power input point. At my house it's about 8 to 10 feet away from the meter to the edge of the driveway or at park . At my rental house the meter is literally two feet away from the driveway.
My meter is about 75' from the garage with no real path from the meter to the garage. It would be easier, but more expensive, to drop a new line to a new meter and panel just for the garage, which I have entertained before.

The solar input to it would be nice, but the Aptera will have direct solar inputs.

My dryer is in the garage, and I've already extended an outlet from it to the parking space for Level 2 30A charging, and bought about 600 watts of panels. if I use it as often as the truck right now solar alone will be more than ample.

glhs837

Power with Control
My meter is about 75' from the garage with no real path from the meter to the garage. It would be easier, but more expensive, to drop a new line to a new meter and panel just for the garage, which I have entertained before.

The solar input to it would be nice, but the Aptera will have direct solar inputs.

My dryer is in the garage, and I've already extended an outlet from it to the parking space for Level 2 30A charging, and bought about 600 watts of panels. if I use it as often as the truck right now solar alone will be more than ample.

My panel is inside the house not far from the meter and the garage shares a wall with the garage. Since I dont plan on garage parking the CT anyway, the meter solution works better for me anyway. But MD isnt a state thats cleared it. Maybe by next summer when I expect to get my truck.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, this seems interesting.

TLDR: Basically a portable waterjet cutter to pierce the case and flood the battery with water. Uses about a bathub and a half, maybe two to three if the rest of the vehicle is also on fire and you need to keep that down. Small, looks like it shouldn't cost too much either. Far easier than a huge water bath, and much faster than a smother blanket.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So, this seems interesting.

TLDR: Basically a portable waterjet cutter to pierce the case and flood the battery with water. Uses about a bathub and a half, maybe two to three if the rest of the vehicle is also on fire and you need to keep that down. Small, looks like it shouldn't cost too much either. Far easier than a huge water bath, and much faster than a smother blanket.

Interesting. We're currently working on the design of a new high-speed passenger ferry that will be all electric.... 110 tons of batteries on board. Jokes about the potentially record-setting fire have popped up....

glhs837

Power with Control
Interesting. We're currently working on the design of a new high-speed passenger ferry that will be all electric.... 110 tons of batteries on board. Jokes about the potentially record-setting fire have popped up....
Some high pressure tanks with injectors built into the packs, triggered if a fire breaks out to flood that cell. Something like that planned I assume? Same sort of solution as watertight integrity?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some high pressure tanks with injectors built into the packs, triggered if a fire breaks out to flood that cell. Something like that planned I assume? Same sort of solution as watertight integrity?
I don't know all the details of the electric drive side..we're designing the hull and integrating the lifting fans, stern seal boost fans etc. I'll know a lot more in a month or so if the client pulls the trigger on a production contract.

Working on a separate all-electric boat that's much smaller..another windfarm crew transfer vessel or "CTV". That one is using battery technology from Shift, in Canada. One "hotel" ship will provide crew accommodations and support 4 or 5 of the battery powered CTVs.
https://shift-cleanenergy.com/

Clem72

I imagine for something like that, where weight is a concern but not as much as with a car, they would use LiFePO4 instead of Li-ion for the longer life span, less sensitivity to deep discharge/overcharge and of course much less fire risk.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I imagine for something like that, where weight is a concern but not as much as with a car, they would use LiFePO4 instead of Li-ion for the longer life span, less sensitivity to deep discharge/overcharge and of course much less fire risk.
I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the battery side of the design. Have an all-day meeting scheduled with the shipyard and their client in Norway on 2 June. Here:
https://www.fjordnorway.com/en/attractions/floro