Electric Car News

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
For those wondering, heres the source on the bridge car. Funny, not sure why we would blame the car when its the owners job to ensure it has enough charge to get to the destination. Every EV in the world tells you how much charge you have. And how far you can get with it.
And one of the EV issues across the board is the ever-declining range calculator, where it tells them they have 20 miles of range left, a mile later it says 15, two miles after that is says 7 and before they reach the fourth mile it's reading zilch. :lmao:

When I have 3 gals left, it doesn't evaporate before my eyes. :roflmao:

SamSpade

For those wondering, heres the source on the bridge car. Funny, not sure why we would blame the car when its the owners job to ensure it has enough charge to get to the destination.
Except that everyone has run out of gas at some point. The point being that when it's out, you can't just get a gallon and pour it in.

Me, I'm real anal about gas levels - many years ago in Massachusetts I ran out of gas driving north to Lowell at around 10:30 at night in a downpour.

After walking for miles looking for a station that was open, I got a gallon to take back and was lucky enough to get a ride from a carful of college students. Once back, I put in the gas and made it to the same station. NEVER AGAIN.

But - it - happens. People can and do run out of gas. The problem is, it's not easily REMEDIED with electric.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
And one of the EV issues across the board is the ever-declining range calculator, where it tells them they have 20 miles of range left, a mile later it says 15, two miles after that is says 7 and before they reach the fourth mile it's reading zilch. :lmao:

From the FB comments:

This is a common problem with a lot of electric cars. When going up the bridge, all of the electricity flows to the back of the tank.
Try shaking the car a bit.

:lmao:

DaSDGuy

Except that everyone has run out of gas at some point. The point being that when it's out, you can't just get a gallon and pour it in.

Me, I'm real anal about gas levels - many years ago in Massachusetts I ran out of gas driving north to Lowell at around 10:30 at night in a downpour.

After walking for miles looking for a station that was open, I got a gallon to take back and was lucky enough to get a ride from a carful of college students. Once back, I put in the gas and made it to the same station. NEVER AGAIN.

But - it - happens. People can and do run out of gas. The problem is, it's not easily REMEDIED with electric.
Point #1 - I have never run out of gas. Not at any point in my 6 decades of driving experience. It is just plain irresponsible to all around you to be that clueless at any age of your life.

Point #2 Just about every tow truck (AAA, etc.) has a gallon of gas on board to get you started and off the bridge.

I am not aware of anyone who has a 25 mile charge that you can add to a car in 5 minutes to get it off the bridge. Please let us know a valid source that will do this.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
de8enc9-08833869-327b-4364-ac83-1c2768e04d59.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control

And most vehicles range estimator stops before 0. Wife's Jeep stops at 30 miles and just says "range low". That way Jeep can't be sued by "OMG, Jeep left us stranded in Harlem at 2am!".

glhs837

Power with Control
Point #1 - I have never run out of gas. Not at any point in my 6 decades of driving experience. It is just plain irresponsible to all around you to be that clueless at any age of your life.

Point #2 Just about every tow truck (AAA, etc.) has a gallon of gas on board to get you started and off the bridge.

I am not aware of anyone who has a 25 mile charge that you can add to a car in 5 minutes to get it off the bridge. Please let us know a valid source that will do this.
Getting there

Clem72

What kind of EV was it? Tesla and Nissan both have a limp-mode basically you're just about dead empty so it forces you to drive very slow to conserve energy and get to a safe area (basically ideal to get off a bridge for example).

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
What kind of EV was it? Tesla and Nissan both have a limp-mode basically you're just about dead empty so it forces you to drive very slow to conserve energy and get to a safe area (basically ideal to get off a bridge for example).
Apparently it didn't have "Limp Mode"... Only "Unconscious Mode."

Clem72

Apparently it didn't have "Limp Mode"... Only "Unconscious Mode."
Or maybe it did, and this person went ahead and tried to drive all the way home at the 30mph cap and eventually it died? Wouldn't be the stupidest thing I heard today.

DaSDGuy

Getting there

Cool pic of the charging vehicle - a van. It doesn't appear to be a tow truck so the vehicle is charged in place? If ICE you add a gallon of gas in 1 minute and the user drives off the bridge. Charging in place takes how long to clear the bridge?

I like the Gen Patton solution. If the vehicle can't be started in 5 minutes push it over the side.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Cool pic of the charging vehicle - a van. It doesn't appear to be a tow truck so the vehicle is charged in place? If ICE you add a gallon of gas in 1 minute and the user drives off the bridge. Charging in place takes how long to clear the bridge?

I like the Gen Patton solution. If the vehicle can't be started in 5 minutes push it over the side.
New feature for all future bridge projects.

Automobile Removal Traps.

glhs837

Power with Control

I imagine you can get enough to clear the bridge faster than it would take yo get the EV up on a flatbed. Then meet in a parking lot at the bottom to give them enough to reach the nearest station.

SamSpade

(shrug) It happens. Happened to me twice. First time, I was low on gas but had to make it to work and was running late. I was working for pennies and I was low on funds. Figured I could get there and grab a ballon from work. Guessed wrong.

Second time it was a date, and I had to drive thirty miles just to pick her up. When I finally got her home, I noticed that stations were all closed everywhere, so I chanced it.

That was forty some years ago. Never since.

Still - getting an additional charge when you're dead in traffic looks to be considerably harder to correct than a jug of gas.

The hard part is proper care. Fortunately there is an affordable guide for that…

Attachments

• IMG_4712.jpeg
    IMG_4712.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: