Electric Car News

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Yep, and and with the price of these ‘for limited use’ vehicles we expect to be able to keep them operational long term (10+ years) and affordably to justify the long term loan the typical consumer will be required to secure to obtain one.
I suppose if they tend to lease or constantly trade, long term reliability can be sacrificed.

I tend to buy something and keep until it dies, or I've passed it to a family member and bought another new one for me.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sneakers had it right.

This is a toy market for now and the close, foreseeable future.
Yep, and and with the price of these ‘for limited use’ vehicles we expect to be able to keep them operational long term (10+ years) and affordably to justify the long term loan the typical consumer will be required to secure to obtain one.

At 5% of sales and almost doubling over last year, its not a toy market. Not anymore. Tesla almost outsold Subaru last quarter.

No reason one you buy this year, or bought in the last three years to not last considerably longer.

And those were slightly older models, they keep getting better. The Model 3 and Y have bodies designed for 1,000,000 miles, and the batteries are expected to last 300k-500K. Of course, we'll need some years to pass to see how that will play out, but there's a 2014 Model S that's over on a million miles already. Long term enough?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
This reminds me of getting into a discussion with one of the Sig fan boys.

You’re the perfect salesman.

Or disciple.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
73E31D37-3D07-4291-B708-06DFA3AF7114.jpeg

Clem72

Of course, we'll need some years to pass to see how that will play out, but there's a 2014 Model S that's over on a million miles already. Long term enough?

Though that one doesn't prove what you think it does. One battery swap and 2 motor replacements on that vehicle.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Gas and Diesel, to hell with electric, EV's cannot out perform a combustion engine in my opinion
A diesel hybrid without DPF would be the bom-Diggity.. Imagine getting 100 MPG with a diesel auto, or truck. No need for DPF if you are getting 100 MPG.

glhs837

Power with Control
You call it "facts", I call it Dogma. Potato/Tamato. :sshrug:

Facts are verifiable things, dogma isn't. : ) Just because they conflict with ideas you have that are not fact based doesn't make the untrue.

Though that one doesn't prove what you think it does. One battery swap and 2 motor replacements on that vehicle.

In a million miles? How many ICE vehicles make that on the original engine and trans?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Facts are verifiable things, dogma isn't. : ) Just because they conflict with ideas you have that are not fact based doesn't make the untrue.
What have I stated that is not factual?
In a million miles? How many ICE vehicles make that on the original engine and trans?
A lot of commercial trucks but as for public, most people dont' drive enough to make it that far.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Yep, ain't got the miles but I've got the years. My daily driver is 44 years old (and I still can't get an extended warranty for it no matter how many times they call).
I've had many that I put over the 250k mark, and likely have over a million miles but I also spent a good number of years driving a truck, and even when I changed careers to line work, I was still driving a truck for part of my days then.

A friend of mine still does over the road and I'm certain the mileage he clocked in was way higher.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Ford Plans To Cut 8,000 Jobs So It Can Fund EV Push: Report

The cuts, though still pending, are expected to be implemented in the coming weeks and will affect salaried workers, as well as the automaker’s new Ford Blue unit that was created in March to oversee internal combustion engine operations, Bloomberg reported.

“To deliver our Ford+ transformation and lead this exciting and disruptive new era of electric and connected vehicles, we remain focused on reshaping our work and modernizing our organization across all automotive business units and across the company,” Ford spokesman T.R. Reid said, adding, “As part of this, we have laid out clear targets to lower our cost structure to ensure we are lean and fully competitive with the best in the industry.”

While Ford did not comment on the reported upcoming layoffs, the company has a meeting scheduled for Thursday where it’s expected to update shareholders on the future of its EV production. The company wants to reach 600,000 EVs produced by next year and two million EVs by 2026.

glhs837

Power with Control
What have I stated that is not factual?

A lot of commercial trucks but as for public, most people dont' drive enough to make it that far.

The issue is that you take one true fact that applies to one narrow situation, then make the case that it applies to every EV.

Post 8, someone took the absolute worst case charging situation and acts as if it applies to all EVs.

Post 97, equating one compliance cars issues with modern mass produced EVs.

Post 104, 10 year lifespan

/////while those things are factual in that one instance, they do not apply globally to all EVs.

glhs837

Power with Control
This is why I don't recommend buying anything else if you like to travel. Once you remove the other networks level 2 chargers, the contrast is clear. The main competition is at 800 locations, with fewer plugs per station, and hoping to be where Tesla is in a year or two. But the rate of installs is increasing for Tesla, with prefabbed chargers already in concrete bases ready to drop in and hook up.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tesl...at-could-be-a-tipping-point-for-electric-cars

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The issue is that you take one true fact that applies to one narrow situation, then make the case that it applies to every EV.

Post 8, someone took the absolute worst case charging situation and acts as if it applies to all EVs.

Post 97, equating one compliance cars issues with modern mass produced EVs.

Post 104, 10 year lifespan

/////while those things are factual in that one instance, they do not apply globally to all EVs.

I’m stating that all these very simple, easily anticipated, problems seem to crop up.

Other than the power source, car manufacturing has been going on for over 100 years. These problems should not be cropping up at all. It doesn’t matter what the product is, parts fail and parts need to be replaced.

As for the power source… This hard ass push to everything electric is a boondoggle in itself. The grid cannot support it.

Unless they decide they’re going to go nuclear, and use existing gas, coal and other resources…It won’t support it today, tomorrow or 10 years from now. It takes considerable time to build an electric supply. It’s not flipping a switch.

As I said many times before, these things are great if you live in the city or don’t travel much.

But if you ever wanna actually travel anywhere theyre a perpetual cluster **** on the road. Who the **** would want to stop every three or four hours to ****ing sit for 45 minutes to an hour. You’ll never get anywhere.

As I said before they are a toy.

glhs837

Power with Control
I’m stating that all these very simple, easily anticipated, problems seem to crop up.

Other than the power source, car manufacturing has been going on for over 100 years. These problems should not be cropping up at all. It doesn’t matter what the product is, parts fail and parts need to be replaced.

As for the power source… This hard ass push to everything electric is a boondoggle in itself. The grid cannot support it.

Unless they decide they’re going to go nuclear, and use existing gas, coal and other resources…It won’t support it today, tomorrow or 10 years from now. It takes considerable time to build an electric supply. It’s not flipping a switch.

As I said many times before, these things are great if you live in the city or don’t travel much.

But if you ever wanna actually travel anywhere theyre a perpetual cluster **** on the road. Who the **** would want to stop every three or four hours to ****ing sit for 45 minutes to an hour. You’ll never get anywhere.

As I said before they are a toy.

My point is that for modern EVs, a lot of these things are not problems. And in case you haven't noticed, regular cars have plenty of problems also. Just the nature of mass producing millions of complex devices. Fires, engine and transmission failures on brand new cars are not uncommon, nor recalls to fix them.

Most people do stop every three to four hours, although if you have a 300 mile range...

Say I'm heading to Columbia SC to visit family.

Google nav says 438 miles, and 7 hours and 30 minutes. Some people might drive that straight through without a pee and snack break, but not many, I think.

Tesla nav says I'll take three charging break of 20, 15, and 30 minutes at Petersburg VA, Smithfield NC, and Lumberton NC. thats an hour and five minutes over eight hours, which sorts of stops a lot of people might take anyway. Watch a little bit of Neflix, maybe ply a game, 30 minutes passes pretty quickly. Face it people road trip in these things all the time, its really not as arduous as people who have not make it out to be.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My point is that for modern EVs, a lot of these things are not problems. And in case you haven't noticed, regular cars have plenty of problems also. Just the nature of mass producing millions of complex devices. Fires, engine and transmission failures on brand new cars are not uncommon, nor recalls to fix them.
I’ve never heard of anyone purchasing a gasoline powered car that couldn’t get a major part for it eight years after it was built. Except maybe the Yugo.

That being said am I to assume that we should expect electric cars support structure to be equivalent to the Yugo?