Electric Car News

PeoplesElbow

I posted a vid a while back... Europe has battery exchange stations. You pull in, and in 5-10 minutes drive out with a fresh battery pac. The issue of degredation and cost to replace becomes moot.

Great in concept, but not all cars use the same battery pac. Unless they standardize, which is unlikely, it will become vehicle-specific exchange points.
I don't necessarily mean that, I mean shops and aftermarket places popping up as well as cells available that will do it and maybe a semi-common system that will make things easier and cheaper to replace batteries.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Milwaukee Li-Ion Packs. ( couple hundred should do. )
Even setting them up to accept current battery architecture would help. I saw a 37.8v cell the size of a group 31 12v advertised for electric trolling motors. It was only 50ah, but still, it's a standard already in use.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't necessarily mean that, I mean shops and aftermarket places popping up as well as cells available that will do it and maybe a semi-common system that will make things easier and cheaper to replace batteries.
Even setting them up to accept current battery architecture would help. I saw a 37.8v cell the size of a group 31 12v advertised for electric trolling motors. It was only 50ah, but still, it's a standard already in use.

Like any other other industry, it will arise as needed. Already a few places that do stuff like this, and there will be more as it more vehicles need it.

Now, what will be interesting is to see how Teslas "structural" pack works out. Contrary to what some folks think structural doesn't mean its welded into the body. It simply means that the pack itself not only supports its own weight and needs, but also contributes to the structure of the vehicle. But they can be removed. And therefore replaced

Now, its not really repairable. Teslsa seems to think that they have made it so robust as a monolithic mass that theres really nothing to break. The most common problem is battery connections, and those have been made stout and then sealed in to prevent any movement or flexing.

glhs837

Power with Control
I posted a vid a while back... Europe has battery exchange stations. You pull in, and in 5-10 minutes drive out with a fresh battery pac. The issue of degredation and cost to replace becomes moot.

Great in concept, but not all cars use the same battery pac. Unless they standardize, which is unlikely, it will become vehicle-specific exchange points.

This guy does a great break down. Long at over 30 minutes, but there's no fluff, all content.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
IMG_4317.jpeg

glhs837

Power with Control
Shocker, crappily built products with no safety requirements dont work well. Now, ebikes and scooters here in the states have done a lot better in that regard, the larger issue there has been greedy or stupid local city govts taking checks from shady companies who dump thousands of them on the streets, then collect the user fees until maint/upkeep is required, then they bail. Thats shitty govt, not an intrinsic problem with e-bikes.

Not Funny Whatever GIF by AutoTraderUK

phreddyp

Shocker, crappily built products with no safety requirements dont work well. Now, ebikes and scooters here in the states have done a lot better in that regard, the larger issue there has been greedy or stupid local city govts taking checks from shady companies who dump thousands of them on the streets, then collect the user fees until maint/upkeep is required, then they bail. Thats shitty govt, not an intrinsic problem with e-bikes.

Not Funny Whatever GIF by AutoTraderUK
Just another item that is junk! I'm certain that you have six of them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Granholm's EV Road Trip Turns Into an Entitlement Clown Show, Family Forced to Call Police

What happened on the trip says everything about the Biden team's delusion and entitlement. The trip revealed immediately that the system is not ready to handle even what they have to deal with now, much less with the number of vehicles that you would have to cope with with the complete switchover that they want.

But between stops, Granholm's entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present. Like when her caravan of EVs — including a luxury Cadillac Lyriq, a hefty Ford F-150 and an affordable Bolt electric utility vehicle — was planning to fast-charge in Grovetown, a suburb of Augusta, Georgia.
Her advance team realized there weren't going to be enough plugs to go around. One of the station's four chargers was broken, and others were occupied. So an Energy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy.
That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?
In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved: They called the police.

Doesn't that say it all? There weren't enough chargers to deal with the demand, and they tried to block out other people to reserve a spot for Granholm at the faster charger. That screams entitlement and thinking they get to do that because of their power. When you're stealing a spot from a family with a baby, you just might be pretty scummy. They're denying a family the very service they claim to be helping to provide because the family was in the way of their PR stunt. And the Biden team did it with a vehicle that wasn't even electric.
Good for the family who wasn't taking that nonsense and called the police on them. The police couldn't do much, however, because it's not illegal to do what the Secretary's team did. But realizing they had a potential PR nightmare on their hands, they "scrambled to smooth over the situation, including sending other vehicles to slower chargers, until both the frustrated family and the secretary had room to charge."

Notice -- no Teslas. Why, when that's the most common electric vehicle that Americans drive? Do they not want to feature anything related to Elon Musk? We've already seen how they're targeting Musk with multiple government actions and investigations after his takeover of Twitter (now X).

Domonoske was honest about the problem.

I drive an electric vehicle myself, and I've test-driven many more as NPR's auto reporter. I know how easy it can be to charge when everything goes well and how annoying it can be when things go poorly.
Riding along with Granholm, I came away with a major takeaway: EVs that aren't Teslas have a road trip problem, and the White House knows it's urgent to solve this issue.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'd be willing to bet the majority of that 20% bought an EV as their only car, a one-for-one replacement of their ICE and expected it to act, smell, and be an ICE with a different fuel, and didn't do their homework before buying.

My EV will be a secondary car to my ICE truck.

phreddyp

20% admit their mistake and another 60% are playing Cleopatra . Then there are the other 20% who have a 15-mile commute, they are the happy ones!

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I'd be willing to bet the majority of that 20% bought an EV as their only car, a one-for-one replacement of their ICE and expected it to act, smell, and be an ICE with a different fuel, and didn't do their homework before buying.

My EV will be a secondary car to my ICE truck.
It's even better. Most of them bought with no way to charge at home. :)

glhs837

Power with Control
Somebody told me they are installing charging stations at Pax. Exactly how many electric cars do they use as Government vehicles?

There are already a few. 2187 has some, the NEX has a couple, and NAVAIR has them in the parking garage. I dont know of any EV govt cars, but that might change with the Inflation Reduction act, I think the govt buying a bunch of EVs was part of that. I think they kept the "made in the US by well paid union labor" which means there are not many that qualify.

glhs837

Power with Control
How to make EVs profitably, do this stuff. But stuff like this requires serious shakeups to the way legacy makes cars.

Also, rapidly iteration of software? Why cant legacy do it? Jim Farley, CEO of Ford explains.

150 module providers, each with proprietary software. If you want to change something, anything, you need to get back through that vendor and ask permission. "We dont even understand it all" This is why my wifes 2015 Jeep and her 2020 BMW are stuck in time. The features they delivered with are it. At least Ford sees the problems.....