Electric Car News

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Joe Biden’s Words Come Back to Haunt Him as Wyoming Town’s Entire Electric Bus Fleet Breaks Down (VIDEO)

Jackson, Wyoming – Joe Biden boasted two years ago that the CEO of a major electric bus manufacturer was making him “look good” and federal dollars poured into the company. Now those words have come back to haunt him as an entire town’s electric bus fleet backed by the company broke down.

The Cowboy State Daily reported Tuesday that Teton County and the town of Jackson wanted a low-emission transit system for the county. The Southern Teton Area Rapid Transit (START) system, a joint operation between Jackson and Teton County, had bought eight electric buses to complement its fleet of 31.

But the entire bus fleet broke down so the town’s transit system is now solely relying on its diesel fleet. The last of the electric buses went out of service two months ago and some of the broken buses have been awaiting parts for months.

Cristina Laila previously reported the electric bus manufacturer that supplied START, California-based Proterra, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last month. Proterra enjoyed large financial support from American taxpayers courtesy of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which was signed into law back in 2021. Laila also notes that dim-witted Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm was deeply invested in the company.

phreddyp

Joe Biden’s Words Come Back to Haunt Him as Wyoming Town’s Entire Electric Bus Fleet Breaks Down (VIDEO)

Jackson, Wyoming – Joe Biden boasted two years ago that the CEO of a major electric bus manufacturer was making him “look good” and federal dollars poured into the company. Now those words have come back to haunt him as an entire town’s electric bus fleet backed by the company broke down.

The Cowboy State Daily reported Tuesday that Teton County and the town of Jackson wanted a low-emission transit system for the county. The Southern Teton Area Rapid Transit (START) system, a joint operation between Jackson and Teton County, had bought eight electric buses to complement its fleet of 31.

But the entire bus fleet broke down so the town’s transit system is now solely relying on its diesel fleet. The last of the electric buses went out of service two months ago and some of the broken buses have been awaiting parts for months.

Cristina Laila previously reported the electric bus manufacturer that supplied START, California-based Proterra, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last month. Proterra enjoyed large financial support from American taxpayers courtesy of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which was signed into law back in 2021. Laila also notes that dim-witted Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm was deeply invested in the company.
I'm shocked!

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm shocked!

I'm not. Dems love these startups promising things the rest of the industry isn't. And the rest of the EV industry isn't touching busses because the tech isn't ready for that application. Just barely poking into big trucks. This come back to forcing the tech into every niche. We agree on that much, that govt needs to stop getting into it. Cheer all you want Joe, but stop stroking checks.

SamSpade

I'm not. Dems love these startups promising things the rest of the industry isn't. And the rest of the EV industry isn't touching busses because the tech isn't ready for that application. Just barely poking into big trucks. This come back to forcing the tech into every niche. We agree on that much, that govt needs to stop getting into it. Cheer all you want Joe, but stop stroking checks.
You think Solyndra would have taught us a lesson - do NOT get involved in promoting ONE COMPANY. I mean, Solyndra even had other consequences -

What do you suppose happens to competitors of these kinds of companies, once Uncle Sam starts writing their checks? They quit - who can compete with the government. So instead of CREATING an environment for mass production - they destroy it.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
So does fire. Yet we still use fire for a lot of things. The key is control of the dangerous thing you have harnessed.
C1CBDCD7-0471-4C47-846607ADAF8585F4.jpg

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Now Republicans in the House of Representatives are investigating the trip and the expenses associated with it, as well as the mishaps that led her entourage to block charging stations from the public until her car arrived to use the unit.

House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.) and House Subcommittee on Economic Growth, Energy Policy, and Regulatory Affairs Chairman Pat Fallon (R-Texas) sent a letter to Granholm on Tuesday, requesting records “to understand the purposes, costs, and consequences” of her EV excursion.

The House panel chairmen called the energy secretary’s four-day trip from Charlotte, NC, to Memphis, Tenn., in a Cadillac Lyriq a “publicity stunt” that demonstrated “how out of touch the Biden Administration is with the consequences of policies it has unleashed on everyday Americans.”
“Using an internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle, your Department of Energy (DOE) staff blocked off an EV-only charging station so you could stay on a schedule which was ‘painstakingly mapped out ahead of time’ because of limited, slow, and nonworking EV chargers along your route,” they wrote.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
four-day trip from Charlotte, NC, to Memphis, Tenn.
What the heck were they doing? Why so long and what were they trying to accomplish? From here to Nashville takes me about 10 hours. An easy 2 days from NC to Memphis with frequent breaks and recharge stops.

Capture1.JPG

glhs837

Power with Control
Now Republicans in the House of Representatives are investigating the trip and the expenses associated with it, as well as the mishaps that led her entourage to block charging stations from the public until her car arrived to use the unit.

You know, I'm just as much against stupid trips like this as the next person, but maybe less grandstanding "investigations" that wont produce anything but a headline and more attention to making a cohesive plan FOR GODDAMN BUDGET that can pass might be a better use of their time. Two wrongs don't make a right, and wasting even more taxpayer money standing around pounding the table probably cost us more than the freaking stupid trip did.

What the heck were they doing? Why so long and what were they trying to accomplish? From here to Nashville takes me about 10 hours. An easy 2 days from NC to Memphis with frequent breaks and recharge stops.

View attachment 172932

So, Tesla says its 11:24 minutes including charging stops. Still longer, true.

AS for the four days they were taking, I suspect they had grip and grin sessions planned for each of the four stops.

Lastly, I'll grab this line from the article, from an NPR reporter along for the ride...... Its not an EV problem, its a legacy automaker EV problem.

Riding along with Granholm, I came away with a major takeaway: EVs that aren't Teslas have a road trip problem, and the White House knows it's urgent to solve this issue.

glhs837

Power with Control
File this under "I'm sure glad that gasoline cars dont catch fire like EVs". Or maybe "If gas cars catch fire, its not around here"

glhs837

Power with Control
So, we know one issue is lack of charging for those who street park and multi unit apartments. Stuff like this will help a lot. And no, the govt shouldn't be paying for them or managing them. But do get them permitted. The charge cost on these tells me the govt is subsidizing it at 20 cents a KWH. Thats not sustainable. They should charge enough to not just keep it up, but expand int and make a profit also.

Level 2, so not a huge drain on the grid. A 30 minute shopping trip or hour long meal would get you some miles back. Three hours should be sufficient foe virtually anyone's daily driving. Each two cord box can refill 2-3 cars say from 4 pm to midnight.