Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
;)
1696805056937.png

glhs837

Power with Control
"EVs are only for the rich!!!!!"

Deducting the $7,500 federal rebate, that means the prices are around $36,490 for the Model Y and $31,490 for the Model 3, the latter of which Andrew Krulewitz, founder of EV financing startup Zevvy, called “silly-cheap.” He said that the average price of a new car in the U.S. is about $45,000 right now, and a used car averages a hefty $30,000, “which places the Model Y between the new and used [internal-combustion-engine] average,” even before rebates.

Now, that does include $7500 credit. Tesla argued against that, said no credit was needed. But the point remains. You can get a damn good EV for less than competitor ICE vehicles.

Oh, and BTW, EV sales for the first half to 2023 were up to 7% of vehicle sales. Not quite double last years percentage. So the "Nobodys buying EVs" line isn't tracking.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
When I want to cut my vehicle range, restrict its area of operation, spend an hour at a service station every 250 miles and give someone else total, and remote, control over the devices operation, I'll buy one.

Until I deteriorate to that point, I'll stick with my ICE.

glhs837

Power with Control
When I want to cut my vehicle range, restrict its area of operation, spend an hour at a service station every 250 miles and give someone else total, and remote, control over the devices operation, I'll buy one.

Until I deteriorate to that point, I'll stick with my ICE.

Go right ahead. I will note about your one point. It shouldn't be an hour every 250 miles. More like 20-30 minutes. About the amount of time most folks take to take a bathroom break, get a snack and a drink. And of course that only applies to road trips, otherwise you are topped off every morning, you know, for +250 days a year you are not taking long journeys. And don't forget, you are losing other things as well. oil changes, spark plug changes, engine air filter changes. brake servicing. That stuff does add up. Oh, and a absolute ton of money spent on gasoline.

So its not all downside.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Musk Says Tesla ‘Dug Our Own Grave’ With The Cybertruck

According to a report from Business Insider, Musk explained to investors on the call that the Cybertruck’s angular design presented the company with countless problems when it comes to scaling up to mass production.

Because of its production challenges, Musk and co missed its Q3 deadline to begin deliveries of the all-electric truck. Now, the company is targeting November 30 for the truck’s launch, making it the sixth delivery date Tesla has so far announced. As Business Insider explains:

“We dug our own grave with the Cybertruck,” Musk said.
It’s “one of those special products that comes along only once in a long while. And special products that come along once in a long while are just incredibly difficult to bring to market to reach volume, to be prosperous,” he added.

glhs837

Power with Control
How do you install higher quality chargers much quicker than the other guys? Simple, vertically integrate the process. Do everything you can inside a factory where Q/C is a lot simpler and your people are not out in the rain and cold. Then just deliver, drop in place, and hook up the mains power.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Read an article in the Telegraph (UK publication) that auto insurance companies are looking at the repair costs on EVs and look to be leaning towards declaring them uninsurable.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
So 20% more to buy, 1000% more time to power, 50% more to insure...

Randomly burst in flame.

Almost every accident becomes a "Total Loss" claim.

Very Limited modification options.

Sign me up... Not.

DaSDGuy

Randomly burst in flame.

Sign me up... Not.
Don't be using logic or intelligence here. Get with the Brandon economy.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Truth makes interesting news. Much more informing than hyperbole.

Think I might want to check over a Texas based orgs math a bit :) But we do agree that the govt needs to stop with the subsidies. LEts not forget tax breaks for oil companies while we're at it. Level playing field and all. If oil companies get to write off exploration cos, so too should battery plant investment be write offs. Same for grin strain. Any other industry getting special rates, end that stuff. Again, level the playing field, make everybody pay the freight.

Read an article in the Telegraph (UK publication) that auto insurance companies are looking at the repair costs on EVs and look to be leaning towards declaring them uninsurable.

One UK company stopped insuring them, but then restarted. Another is considering not insuring some models. The biggest driver in this report is the increased cost in risk for batteries. New stuff, they are scared. So they crank up the risk level. This will drop over time.

glhs837

Power with Control

Randomly burst in flame.

Sign me up... Not.
Randomly? Ah, no. People damage the packs or they are faulty. At arate far less than gas vehicles catch on fire, I'll note. And yes, thats corrected for quantity in service.

And its not "almost every accident". But it is higher than i should be. "We lack the diagnostics to ensure battery health" means that someone somewhere is developing those tools right now. And once hey are deployed, this silliness will stop.

glhs837

Power with Control
You
For your consideration ...

If that were to happen, the EV market would collapse over night. As well as the solar panel market, and the wind turbine market. As they should.
Might think, but Tesla did fine for almost two years with no tax incentives

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

You

Might think, but Tesla did fine for almost two years with no tax incentives

True. But those people that bought them, wanted to buy them, and, could afford them. There was no governmental force, (manufacturer subsidies, tax incentives, tax rebates, etc.), to increase sales. In addition to the recent governmental war against ICE vehicles and anything non-electric.