Electric Car News

glhs837

Power with Control
For your consideration ...

True. But those people that bought them, wanted to buy them, and, could afford them. There was no governmental force, (manufacturer subsidies, tax incentives, tax rebates, etc.), to increase sales. In addition to the recent governmental war against ICE vehicles and anything non-electric.

Ive said I agree the govt should back out.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
New study published on EV operating costs.

glhs837

Power with Control
New study published on EV operating costs.
We've covered this one. Not sure Texas is where I go to for unbiased EV studies.

phreddyp

No, I've said for some uses cases, they are a better deal and very cost competitive, with a TCO that makes even one that's more expensive up front a better financial choice. For some people they don't make sense.
They make sense for the pizza delivery person as long as daddy buys it for them and that's about it.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Auto execs and analysts are getting less bullish on the pace of EV demand growth — and fretting more about tough economics of competing in the market.

Why it matters: Automakers have made expensive bets on an electric future, and the tech is a weapon against carbon emissions, too.

Driving the news: Ford said Thursday it's slowing the pace of EV and battery manufacturing investments amid lower-than-expected demand.

• The company isn't changing the total spending target but will "push out" about $12 billion of those investments, CFO John Lawler told reporters.
Catch up fast: Among the growing bad vibes...

• General Motors this week scrapped its target to produce a cumulative 400,000 EVs from 2022 through the first half of 2024.
  • CEO Mary Barra told analysts GM is "taking immediate steps to enhance the profitability of our EV portfolio and adjust to slowing near-term growth."

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

Biden climate czar quietly met with flailing EV company dependent on taxpayer handouts​

John Podesta assembled with Rivian Automotive CEO Robert 'RJ' Scaringe and a team of his company's lobbyists​

John Podesta, President Biden's clean energy czar, quietly assembled with the head of an electric vehicle (EV) company that relies heavily on taxpayer handouts and has floundered financially since its inception, White House visitor logs reviewed by Fox News Digital show.

According to the records, Podesta privately met with Rivian Automotive CEO Robert "RJ" Scaringe; the company's senior policy director, Chris Nevers; its senior public policy manager, Corey Ershow; and Izzy Klein, a lobbyist for the EV maker, at the White House in June. It is unclear what Rivian officials discussed with Podesta, and both the company and the White House didn't respond to requests for comment.

glhs837

Power with Control
Auto execs and analysts are getting less bullish on the pace of EV demand growth — and fretting more about tough economics of competing in the market.

Why it matters: Automakers have made expensive bets on an electric future, and the tech is a weapon against carbon emissions, too.

Driving the news: Ford said Thursday it's slowing the pace of EV and battery manufacturing investments amid lower-than-expected demand.

• The company isn't changing the total spending target but will "push out" about $12 billion of those investments, CFO John Lawler told reporters.
Catch up fast: Among the growing bad vibes...

• General Motors this week scrapped its target to produce a cumulative 400,000 EVs from 2022 through the first half of 2024.
  • CEO Mary Barra told analysts GM is "taking immediate steps to enhance the profitability of our EV portfolio and adjust to slowing near-term growth."

Legacy waited too long, sure that their 100 year way of doing things was The Way. They were sure they could catch up fast, as long as Uncle Sugar pitched in a few billions. Turns out they were wrong.,

1. You cant convert legacy plants to make EVS efficiently.
2. You cant just build a battery plant in two years and go to town. Well, they cant.
3. You cant source the raw materials for production and that fast either, no matter how much money you throw at the problem.
4. You cant compete with direct sales when your dealerships are mainly a huge drag on your reputation, have customer happiness scores alomst as low as Congress.
5. Having a unionized labor force builds inertia into everything you do.

Can they survive? I really don't see how. Its not that you cant make money making EVs, its just that you cant make money making EVs the same old way.

Big 3 American Auto manufacturer stats (information from most recent financials publicly available)
FordGMTesla
Total Long Term Debt$140 Billion$115 Billion$5 Billion
Market Cap$48.23 Billion$50.93 Billion$548 Billion
Total Sales$158 Billion$156 Billion$81 Billion
Cash Available$44 Billion$31 Billion$22 Billion
Debt Minus Cash$94 Billion$84 Billion$17 Billion SURPLUS in Cash

phreddyp

Ah, the old "everyone who disagrees with my opinion must be a moron". :) Now who sounds like a liberal :)
Sounding like one and being one are two different things, something you should have figured out by now! One other thing I call them as I see them, when I see people buy them and then abandon them and then get their reasoning behind the switch, gives me a pretty good idea behind their thinking. Junk is junk all day long and morons will be morons.

glhs837

Power with Control
I
Sounding like one and being one are two different things, something you should have figured out by now! One other thing I call them as I see them, when I see people buy them and then abandon them and then get their reasoning behind the switch, gives me a pretty good idea behind their thinking. Junk is junk all day long and morons will be morons.
I mean if you want to use the logic they do..... :)

Yep. You know a couple who made a bad choice and you want to apply that globally. Stats say that about 75% of the people who buy them stay with them. And most of the switchers were idiots who had no way to charger at home... :)

phreddyp

I

I mean if you want to use the logic they do..... :)

Yep. You know a couple who made a bad choice and you want to apply that globally. Stats say that about 75% of the people who buy them stay with them. And most of the switchers were idiots who had no way to charger at home... :)
Idiots, yes you got that correct finally. Only 75% stay with them, that says volumes in itself.

glhs837

Power with Control
Idiots, yes you got that correct finally. Only 75% stay with them, that says volumes in itself.

For a new tech, that's a pretty high rate. Thats all EVs. You should see Teslas loyalty numbers.... And its funny that you say people are leaving, but Honda and Toyota dont offer EVs, so those sales are people coming over :) Yeah, Toyota offers the BRX^$*# or whatever the hell it is, but its crap and they don't have many of them.

Roughly 67% of Tesla owners purchase another vehicle from the brand, according to the data, while the average luxury brand loyalty rate is at about 46%. Approximately a third of those driving Model Y crossovers previously drove Toyota or Honda vehicles. Michaeli notes that both Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y are tending to take market share from other mainstream automakers, rather than from those in the luxury market.

“Interestingly, [the] data suggests that Model 3 and Y conquest more from mainstream brands than luxury brands,” Michaeli wrote. “Model 3 shows a similar pattern with Toyota and Honda accounting for about one-third followed by BMW, Ford and Mercedes.”

phreddyp

For a new tech, that's a pretty high rate. Thats all EVs. You should see Teslas loyalty numbers.... And its funny that you say people are leaving, but Honda and Toyota dont offer EVs, so those sales are people coming over :) Yeah, Toyota offers the BRX^$*# or whatever the hell it is, but its crap and they don't have many of them.

They are all crap, Tesla maybe the best, but the best piece of s**t is still s**t. Seems like the CEO's are figuring that out, demand is not slowing it is disappearing slowly but surely.

Kinnakeet

Out of 330 million people in the U.S. you can expect a lot of morons to buy them, most are liberals! NUFF SAID!
True,There are just some that cannot help buying the next best thing that turns into sh!t even though they were warned by the people.

Kinnakeet

They are all crap and will never be as good as the ICE

glhs837

Power with Control
They are all crap and will never be as good as the ICE

In many ways they are already better depending on use case. Cost to operate usually way lower if you can charge at home or don't rely on Superchargers in really high rate areas. Bet folks used to say cars would never be as good as horses too :) "What, your car cant just mate with another one and make you a new car?". :)