Electric Car News

phreddyp

In many ways they are already better depending on use case. Cost to operate usually way lower if you can charge at home or don't rely on Superchargers in really high rate areas. Bet folks used to say cars would never be as good as horses too :) "What, your car cant just mate with another one and make you a new car?". :)
You might as well mate with your EV, you're already getting f**ked!

Kinnakeet

In many ways they are already better depending on use case. Cost to operate usually way lower if you can charge at home or don't rely on Superchargers in really high rate areas. Bet folks used to say cars would never be as good as horses too :) "What, your car cant just mate with another one and make you a new car?". :)
What can an EV do better than a ICE car

glhs837

Power with Control
You might as well mate with your EV, you're already getting f**ked!

Kinda hard since I don't own one :)

What can an EV do better than a ICE car

1. Brake service costs. Especially if you pay people for that sort of work. Rotor change and new pads every 60K. Thats say $500 or better every time.
2. Cost to fuel for another.
3. Accelerate better
4. Handle better (love me some low CG)
5. Time savings over visiting gas stations every week to week and a half. (unless you are a travelling salesman).

Of course, not every EV will do these things, no more than all ICE vehicles are the same.

phreddyp

1. Brake service costs. Especially if you pay people for that sort of work. Rotor change and new pads every 60K. Thats say $500 or better every time.
3. Accelerate better
5. Time savings over visiting gas stations every week to week and a half. (unless you are a travelling salesman).

Of course, not every EV will do these things, no more than all ICE vehicles are the same.

I guess you know this from personal experience or just parroting?

glhs837

Power with Control
I guess you know this from personal experience or just parroting?
No, it's just funny thing called research and you don't just ask the two people you happen to know but you actually go out and get statistical data to back up what you think. But if you apply a little bit of logic to things, you'll understand why a vehicle that uses the electrical motor to slow you down for 99% of your braking action. You won't use the friction brakes all that much. Fuel and electrical, these are known values. You can plug in your local energy costs and do some math

phreddyp

No, it's just funny thing called research and you don't just ask the two people you happen to know but you actually go out and get statistical data to back up what you think. But if you apply a little bit of logic to things, you'll understand why a vehicle that uses the electrical motor to slow you down for 99% of your braking action. You won't use the friction brakes all that much. Fuel and electrical, these are known values. You can plug in your local energy costs and do some math
Then you are just parroting, which is exactly what I thought, dismissed!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Driving around the southern Norway coastline today with a long-time colleague and engineer...he commented on why he'd decided to avoid the electric car bandwagon and keep his diesel cars. The stunning increases in the cost of electricity here have really started to knock the luster off of the all-electric trend for the average person.

glhs837

Power with Control
Driving around the southern Norway coastline today with a long-time colleague and engineer...he commented on why he'd decided to avoid the electric car bandwagon and keep his diesel cars. The stunning increases in the cost of electricity here have really started to knock the luster off of the all-electric trend for the average person.
Here's some context on why. Lessons. Don't put all your energy eggs in one basket. Don't enter agreements that require you to screw your citizens over.

Also look like there's been some shenanigans in charging price methodologies.

Now I have been to Norway within the last year but I didn't drive or charge an EV there so I don't think any of this information is actually allowed... :)

glhs837

Power with Control
You got it finally Polly! Especially when you yourself refuse to own one!
Only because the one that fits my use case and requirements hasn't been built yet. If I were in need of a sedan or small SUV I would. But I have one of each in the fleet right now.

PeoplesElbow

Legacy waited too long, sure that their 100 year way of doing things was The Way. They were sure they could catch up fast, as long as Uncle Sugar pitched in a few billions. Turns out they were wrong.,

1. You cant convert legacy plants to make EVS efficiently.
2. You cant just build a battery plant in two years and go to town. Well, they cant.
3. You cant source the raw materials for production and that fast either, no matter how much money you throw at the problem.
4. You cant compete with direct sales when your dealerships are mainly a huge drag on your reputation, have customer happiness scores alomst as low as Congress.
5. Having a unionized labor force builds inertia into everything you do.

Can they survive? I really don't see how. Its not that you cant make money making EVs, its just that you cant make money making EVs the same old way.

Big 3 American Auto manufacturer stats (information from most recent financials publicly available)
FordGMTesla
Total Long Term Debt$140 Billion$115 Billion$5 Billion
Market Cap$48.23 Billion$50.93 Billion$548 Billion
Total Sales$158 Billion$156 Billion$81 Billion
Cash Available$44 Billion$31 Billion$22 Billion
Debt Minus Cash$94 Billion$84 Billion$17 Billion SURPLUS in Cash
Market cap is a pretty bullshit way to compare mature companies to one considered a growth company. Fords price to book is close to 1 and Teslas is over 12. So when you look at the book value they are very comparable.

PeoplesElbow

3. Accelerate better

I'm not an EV hater like some on here but some of these points are not that great.

1. Hybrid same
4. Arguable, depending on the platform, but having a heavy battery at the bottom of the vehicle does help
5. Absolute bullshit for many, I see the same people sitting at the chargers outside Harris Teeter for 30-35 minutes every time I go, do these people go there every day after work to charge? I gas up my hybrid about once a month for normal commuting.

glhs837

Power with Control
Market cap is a pretty bullshit way to compare mature companies to one considered a growth company. Fords price to book is close to 1 and Teslas is over 12. So when you look at the book value they are very comparable.

Strictly looking at survivability over the longer term was my point there. I wasnt looking at market cap, it was just in that chart.

I'm not an EV hater like some on here but some of these points are not that great.

1. Hybrid same
4. Arguable, depending on the platform, but having a heavy battery at the bottom of the vehicle does help
5. Absolute bullshit for many, I see the same people sitting at the chargers outside Harris Teeter for 30-35 minutes every time I go, do these people go there every day after work to charge? I gas up my hybrid about once a month for normal commuting.

1. True. But if your battery is close to full, you get little to no regen.
4. Everything is platform dependant. Apples to apples, of course.
5. "Many" is a variable thing. If there are 300 Teslas in St Marys, and you see the same four people every time. that's a pretty small percentage. Its true there are people who buy who cannot charge at home. Stupid choice, IMO as it does wipe out a lot of the benefit, both in time and money.

Looks like about 80% of owners do charge at home.