Electric Car News

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I see the same people sitting at the chargers outside Harris Teeter for 30-35 minutes every time I go, do these people go there every day after work to charge?
Tesla has gone back and forth offering free charging. They used to offer free charging for the lifetime of the vehicle. Good chance the repeat ones you see are getting free charging where it would cost them to charge at home.

Do new Teslas come with free charging?

Pricing subject to change. For eligible customers who order and pick up a new Model 3 or Model Y between September 14 and September 30, 2023, Tesla Electric will waive the vehicle charging fee for a year for their new vehicle.

phreddyp

Strictly looking at survivability over the longer term was my point there. I wasnt looking at market cap, it was just in that chart.

1. True. But if your battery is close to full, you get little to no regen.
4. Everything is platform dependant. Apples to apples, of course.
5. "Many" is a variable thing. If there are 300 Teslas in St Marys, and you see the same four people every time. that's a pretty small percentage. Its true there are people who buy who cannot charge at home. Stupid choice, IMO as it does wipe out a lot of the benefit, both in time and money.

Looks like about 80% of owners do charge at home.

Lol, that's because the infrastructure is not in place now, nor will be in the foreseeable future. Not ready for prime time junk, plain and simple.

PeoplesElbow

Strictly looking at survivability over the longer term was my point there. I wasnt looking at market cap, it was just in that chart.

1. True. But if your battery is close to full, you get little to no regen.
Don't know about the others but with a Toyota the only time my battery meter has shown full was after a big elevation drop on the interstate, about 15 miles of downhill. Oddly the engine came on then. From what I understand even with the battery meter full it is only 80% if you hook up to the ODB port.

PeoplesElbow

Tesla has gone back and forth offering free charging. They used to offer free charging for the lifetime of the vehicle. Good chance the repeat ones you see are getting free charging where it would cost them to charge at home.
If I had to drive there just to charge and sit for 30mins it really wouldn't be free.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
New study published on EV operating costs.

glhs837

Power with Control

You know, this same TExas policy institute has been put here twice already Gurps. :)

And I'll repeat myself, possibly TExas, home to huge oil companies and a legislature that despite being home to the maker of the best selling EVS in the country, still wont allow them to sell the product directly in the state, might not be the best place to get unbiased studies done.

Like so many things like this, when you dig into it, they do a lot assumption math. With unrealized costs, and other mathmagic to get to where they want to be. Same sort of math the climate guys do when figuring the cost of climate change. "We assume that 70% of all cases of emphysema and 40% of all COPD cases are related to CO2 and other particulates".

When you see that many assumption based arguments in a study, its best to increase the grains of salt you imbibe.

SamSpade

Just a minor point - and it might just be me -

But comparing the cost of an electric to most new cars is hugely irrelevant to me, and - statistically - most Americans.

Because the overwhelming majority of cars sold in the United States are used - as has been the case for every car we've purchased this century.
We just can't afford a new car anymore, And that has been the case across the board, increasingly, for a few decades. Wages have not kept up with the cost of new cars, and it's ridiculous to keep extending the length of car loands PAST their short lives on the road - or to expect consumers to deal with high interest rates. There's a fixed range where consumers can afford to pay each month for a car. If your average household cannot afford more than say, 500 a month for a car - they do without - buy cheap - lengthen the loan - or buy used.

Yeah, I GET that a new electric car compares somewhat favorably with a new ICE car - but Americans, your average American - cannot afford either.

glhs837

Power with Control
I really think this tread should be renamed to "glhs837's Electric Car News"

Not my fault most folks just want to read the headlines and not try and understand things beyond reading a headline. Funny, how everyone's all about "The Corporate Media LIES!!!!!" but don't bother to apply critical thinking skills to what presented to them if it agrees with their worldview.

phreddyp

Not my fault most folks just want to read the headlines and not try and understand things beyond reading a headline. Funny, how everyone's all about "The Corporate Media LIES!!!!!" but don't bother to apply critical thinking skills to what presented to them if it agrees with their worldview.
I don't believe critical thinking is your strong suit, but you sure got parroting down!

glhs837

Power with Control
More like he is never wrong and EV's are great

I certainly can be wrong, you just make it look that way. :) And EVS are not perfect for everyone, I never said they are. Great for some, poor for others, pretty good for most. That's what called a reasonable view. Realizing that not everything is right for everybody. Like guns. Great for some, bad idea for others, and pretty good for most.

As opposed to "they all suck all the time and never are good for anyone". Again, you act towards EVs like liberals do about guns. And it comes across just as bad :)
I don't believe critical thinking is your strong suit, but you sure got parroting down!

Well, one of us seeks out information to bolster his case, others just screech the same line over and over :) Hmmmmmmm.

phreddyp

I certainly can be wrong, you just make it look that way. :) And EVS are not perfect for everyone, I never said they are. Great for some, poor for others, pretty good for most. That's what called a reasonable view. Realizing that not everything is right for everybody. Like guns. Great for some, bad idea for others, and pretty good for most.

As opposed to "they all suck all the time and never are good for anyone". Again, you act towards EVs like liberals do about guns. And it comes across just as bad :)

Well, one of us seeks out information to bolster his case, others just screech the same line over and over :) Hmmmmmmm.
Wow, I am certainly happy that you finally realized that you are a broken record. Better late than never!

Grumpy

:killingme My post was nothing more than thinking of the 1600+ posts in this tread, you probably have well more than half.