Electric Car News

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I'm still waiting to hear how Teslas rig holds up when fully loaded and sent out over the road.

phreddyp

Pepco just purchased multiple Rivians.
Pepco definitely not one the sharpest tools in the shed. Had to deal with them for years, they would try new tools and procedures all the time and then revert back to the old way of doing things very consistent.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just read an article in the WSJ about FORD and Hyundai sweetening their rebates on EV's due to lagging sales.
In other news Stellantis is offering a Ram Pickup with a generator to operate the EV when the battery is drained, sounds like they are going back in time to when Diesel electric locomotives made the cut!

Polly will be out shortly with her rebuttal!

No rebuttal. Think I covered this a few weeks back. If you cannot make a competing product that sells at a profit, you will be forced to cut prices and take even more of a loss. Rushing to market with half baked products was a bad choice for Ford. Hyundai suffers under the tax rebate. They dont qualify and therefore cannot compete on price.

Another hitch in the gitalong for electric trucks.
NYC abandoning using EV trucks for plowing snow.

Shocker, govt goombas make bad choices. Like the electric buses, these are bad choices. It can be done, but the folks to do it are busy with other stuff.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

Kinnakeet

ww
Just read an article in the WSJ about FORD and Hyundai sweetening their rebates on EV's due to lagging sales.
In other news Stellantis is offering a Ram Pickup with a generator to operate the EV when the battery is drained, sounds like they are going back in time to when Diesel electric locomotives made the cut!

Polly will be out shortly with her rebuttal!
WW2 subs

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't care how it does against other electrics. The test is against a real semi.

GCVW 75,000lbs+.

PepsiCo said 60 percent of the miles driven over the 18 days of the event were with a gross vehicle weight of more than 72,000 pounds. That's a weight typical of the logistics industry and it's pretty close to the 82,000-pound limit for zero-emission semi tractor-trailer combos.

Like other metrics, everyone wants to go against max everything, regardless of the real world reality.

"Ohmagerd, it cant go 500 miles, fill up in 10 minutes, switch drivers and go another 500!!!!! WORTHLESS!!!!!"

When the reality is that its a pretty tiny amount of the total trucking industry that does that type of runs. And of course, don't forget the fleet math. Will fleet operators eat some dead time or rearrange delivery routes in return for a massive reduction in operating costs? Damn straight they will. Cost per mile is king. And until diesel gets down to a buck a gallon and maintenance is done for elves who work for free using parts made out of free pixies dust, they will not be able to compete.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
IMG_4816.jpeg

glhs837

Power with Control
if your livelihood is over the road, that’s really ****ing important.

It sure if those relatively few dual driver teams. But that sort of thing isnt all that common. Met a husband and wife team. Brought me some missiles from FL overnight. They do those sorts of runs. And get paid huge money to do so. Most cargo simply isn't worth the extra cost of a team like that. Their rig was massive. Looked like this.

volvo-semi-with-giant-sleeper-cab.jpg

So, no, electrics can't compete with this, nor do they need to. This below is where most cargo lives, note the amount of time spent loading and unloading. Add a charge point at your loading dock and you can get miles back while you get loaded or unloaded. The below is from a shipping company and speak to the reality vs the imagined worst case.

In most cases, a driver’s day won’t be spent only on the interstate, so we can’t bank on 65 mph all day. With that in mind, we like to say 50 mph on average means we’re doing well on time. That puts us at about 550 miles if a driver is driving for 11 hours.

Let’s take it a step further now. How realistic is it that a driver is spending their entire day driving? Hint: Not very.

When we plan loads here at ATS, we expect roughly two hours out of a driver’s day to be spent either unloading at the previous delivery destination or loading at the pickup destination.

This means we can realistically expect a driver to be driving for about eight hours. That’s why our goal is just under 500 miles of travel a day for our drivers.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It sure if those relatively few dual driver teams. But that sort of thing isnt all that common. Met a husband and wife team. Brought me some missiles from FL overnight. They do those sorts of runs. And get paid huge money to do so. Most cargo simply isn't worth the extra cost of a team like that. Their rig was massive. Looked like this.

View attachment 173603

So, no, electrics can't compete with this, nor do they need to. This below is where most cargo lives, note the amount of time spent loading and unloading. Add a charge point at your loading dock and you can get miles back while you get loaded or unloaded. The below is from a shipping company and speak to the reality vs the imagined worst case.

I give you a lot of credit. You get sh!t on constantly and you're still here.

PeoplesElbow

Like other metrics, everyone wants to go against max everything, regardless of the real world reality.

"Ohmagerd, it cant go 500 miles, fill up in 10 minutes, switch drivers and go another 500!!!!! WORTHLESS!!!!!"

When the reality is that its a pretty tiny amount of the total trucking industry that does that type of runs. And of course, don't forget the fleet math. Will fleet operators eat some dead time or rearrange delivery routes in return for a massive reduction in operating costs? Damn straight they will. Cost per mile is king. And until diesel gets down to a buck a gallon and maintenance is done for elves who work for free using parts made out of free pixies dust, they will not be able to compete.
Considering most trailers are overloaded in the first place I would say it is important. My buddy that owns a small trucking company told me the profit from overloading is more than the fine so he does it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Electric Bus Loses Power Going Up Hill, Rolls Backward and Crashes Into Line of Cars

Electric vehicles sure do seem safe and effective. Or am I mixing my propaganda?

According to social media user Xian Ke, a Google-operated electric bus suffered a power loss on Monday morning while attempting to scale one of San Francisco’s many hills. The out-of-control bus then rolled down the hill and crashed into nine vehicles.

Monday on X, formerly Twitter, Ke posted a 10-second clip of the crash’s aftermath.