Electric Car News

SamSpade

And EVS are not perfect for everyone, I never said they are. Great for some, poor for others, pretty good for most.
And many of us believe - no, not "pretty good for most". Possibly pretty good for persons who can afford a more expensive car than most new cars - who can actually AFFORD a new car - and whose lifestyle works around NOT using their car constantly, lots of loads, emergency trips, many people and longer distances than just a few miles.

I can rack up easily a hundred miles just running errands on a weekend - come home and have to do it all again - and then have to drive to Baltimore and then DC - and then back again. Until they make electric cars big enough for me, my family, that has VERY long charges in any weather OR can fully charge very quickly AND that I can afford it - it's never going to happen.

It just would NEVER square with my lifestyle and I could never afford it on my budget. And that is true for almost everyone I know.

It no longer "seems" to be that electric cars are being "pushed" on us. They ARE. Manufacturers are being pushed into adopting all electric.

This is not the way new products gain access to American consumers. The expression "build a better mousetrap" and the concept of "killer app" - IS.

Make the product SO COMPELLING and SO MUCH BETTER than what they have, and you won't have to make laws to force adoption. They will do it themselves. Invent flying machines and people will use them and build them. Invent TVs and people will buy them. Make a computer and applications that improve business, and business will buy them. Email, the Web, cell phones - make them something people WANT, and people will do the rest.

SamSpade

What did that setup cost you and when is that paid off in gas and smeco savings
Every setup I've seen is that I won't recover my investment in the time I plan to remain living here.
THAT, and the deterioration in performance will make it - kind of useless by then.

The ONLY way I can see me having them is in a new house, where the cost is built in.

glhs837

Power with Control
And many of us believe - no, not "pretty good for most". Possibly pretty good for persons who can afford a more expensive car than most new cars - who can actually AFFORD a new car - and whose lifestyle works around NOT using their car constantly, lots of loads, emergency trips, many people and longer distances than just a few miles.

I can rack up easily a hundred miles just running errands on a weekend - come home and have to do it all again - and then have to drive to Baltimore and then DC - and then back again. Until they make electric cars big enough for me, my family, that has VERY long charges in any weather OR can fully charge very quickly AND that I can afford it - it's never going to happen.

It just would NEVER square with my lifestyle and I could never afford it on my budget. And that is true for almost everyone I know.

It no longer "seems" to be that electric cars are being "pushed" on us. They ARE. Manufacturers are being pushed into adopting all electric.

This is not the way new products gain access to American consumers. The expression "build a better mousetrap" and the concept of "killer app" - IS.

Make the product SO COMPELLING and SO MUCH BETTER than what they have, and you won't have to make laws to force adoption. They will do it themselves. Invent flying machines and people will use them and build them. Invent TVs and people will buy them. Make a computer and applications that improve business, and business will buy them. Email, the Web, cell phones - make them something people WANT, and people will do the rest.

2.86 million new cars were sold in 2022. At an average cost of $46,000 dollars. So while nobody you know might be buying new cars, quite a few people are.

Well, the average American does about 30 miles a day. And while it doesnt fit your lifestyle, it can for many if they look at it logically. Heck, how many two car households could make that second an EV and never miss a beat?

I would say Tesla has hit that bar, even as others struggle with it. A new Model 3 long range, which will get you at least 275-280 miles before needing recharge (which charge takes about 15-20 minutes, a nice leg stretch and snack) will set you back about 45k. Now that's before the $7500 tax credit. And of course the money you save on gas and maint.

And the used market looks even better. These prices are not bad at all for what you get.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
What did that setup cost you and when is that paid off in gas and smeco savings
We have 42 solar panels on our house, and they were paid off at year 8. The 22 panels on the barn should be paid off in about 4 years. The cost per panel has decreased while efficiency had substantially increased. The barn panels cost a quarter as much as the house panels, but productivity surpasses the house.

SamSpade

2.86 million new cars were sold in 2022. At an average cost of $46,000 dollars. So while nobody you know might be buying new cars, quite a few people are.
And about 38 million used cars in 2022. My current used SUV ran about half that.

I’d say MOST people are not buying new cars.

When average household income runs 67,000 a year, I have to think new cars are being bought by a narrow strata of earners.

phreddyp

Well, the average American does about 30 miles a day. And while it doesnt fit your lifestyle, it can for many if they look at it logically. Heck, how many two car households could make that second an EV and never miss a beat?

I would say Tesla has hit that bar, even as others struggle with it. A new Model 3 long range, which will get you at least 275-280 miles before needing recharge (which charge takes about 15-20 minutes, a nice leg stretch and snack) will set you back about 45k. Now that's before the $7500 tax credit. And of course the money you save on gas and maint.

And the used market looks even better. These prices are not bad at all for what you get.

Want another cracker?

glhs837

Power with Control
Want another cracker?

I post new verifiable facts, you post the same thing over and over, yet you call me a parrot :) Now thats funny.

parrot GIF

glhs837

Power with Control
No actually you post the same drivel over and over, dementia must be kicking in.
Repetition of facts doesn't make them less true :) Please, demonstrate where any of the information I have posted is not true. Take your time, I've got all day.

OccamsRazor

A new Model 3 long range, which will get you at least 275-280 miles before needing recharge (which charge takes about 15-20 minutes, a nice leg stretch and snack) will set you back about 45k. Now that's before the $7500 tax credit. And of course the money you save on gas and maint.
I have been looking at new vehicles recently (within the last month) and I can tell you 100% for sure that dealers have accounted for the $7500 tax credit IN THE PRICE OF THE VEHICLE. That is to say, if the ICE version of the vehicle is $50K, then the all-electric version has a sticker of $60K. The dealers aren't dumb. They are going to up-charge the vehicle and use that credit as a sales gimmick to their advantage.
And those "maintenance savings" you are referring to... Are they accounting for the largely expensive battery replacements and overhauls?

SamSpade

And those "maintenance savings" you are referring to... Are they accounting for the largely expensive battery replacements and overhauls?
Although that's not the biggest reason to me - it's a non-starter.

I like the fact that I can drive an ICE car until I am old and grey. That I can afford to own both of my cars outright.
I don't live in a world where a huge chunk of my income is - paying for a car. I'll be retired soon, and I can't live with an onerous bill every month.

phreddyp

Repetition of facts doesn't make them less true :) Please, demonstrate where any of the information I have posted is not true. Take your time, I've got all day.
I don't need to demonstrate crap ! You know as well as we do that they are junk and not ready for prime time, but yet you quote the same drivel time after time Polly. You have swallowed the EV fallacy hook, line and sinker.

SamSpade

You know - I GET that, for some people, it's going to work just fine. Stats also show that a majority of NEW vehicles purchase are by older folks, typically people with SOME money to burn. I won't be one of those, when I retire.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't need to demonstrate crap ! You know as well as we do that they are junk and not ready for prime time, but yet you quote the same drivel time after time Polly. You have swallowed the EV fallacy hook, line and sinker.
Usually the biggest fallacies hide behind things we "just know" without facts to back them up. :) You just know a lot of things, but I'm the one with verifiable facts.

glhs837

Power with Control
You know - I GET that, for some people, it's going to work just fine. Stats also show that a majority of NEW vehicles purchase are by older folks, typically people with SOME money to burn. I won't be one of those, when I retire.

So in 2022 the average age of a new car buyer was pretty close to the average population age at 51 years old. But they did have higher than average income, about 15k to 20k, depending on location. I'll bet that has always been the case.

phreddyp

Usually the biggest fallacies hide behind things we "just know" without facts to back them up. :) You just know a lot of things, but I'm the one with verifiable facts.
I just laughed so hard I had coffee blowing out my nose.

You sound just like Dr.Fauci, follow my science and advice, ignore what you see and hear with your own eyes and ears.
Go get'em Polly

somdwatch

EVs are doomed if government continues to push them as mandatory. Let the industry sink or swim on it's merits, or not.

On the fence about new homes being mandated to have EV charge points. If the home owner doesn't have an EV, is a 'wasted' expense. However, it's far far cheaper to have it installed at the time the home is built as opposed to post-build installation if it becomes needed, and is a good future sell point.
A neighbor who had solar installed recently had an EV station installed with it by his garage door.
He doesn't own an EV.