Electric Car News

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
untitled2-8-7a16c5e83be78c1f6d767517fc4be190.png

:tap:

phreddyp

Didnt you read the below part of my post?

Okay, by the numbers. And keep in mind, Fox does have an axe to grind here.

1. GM is bag of ass, as can be seen by selling the Bolt for five years at a 7K loss per vehicle, no idea what they are doing. Honda was dumb to even partner with them.

2. Tesla Mexico is still on, but possibly delayed. You might have heard of a recession?

3. Fords huge losses are whats called CAPEX. Shockingly, building new factories and battery production facilities costs a lot of money. Tesla faced the same issue while building capacity. Once those are built and producing, you start making money. Now, as for "losses per vehicle" calculations, those a bit deceptive. It lumps in CAPEX expenditures on infrastructure with production cost. Once that CAPEX spend is over, then you see the true production cost. So, no, it doesn't cost Ford $62,000 more than it cost in material and labor to build the vehicle. Now, even with that, are the vehicles they producing profitable, or is that reserved for the second gen? No telling. I think both the Lightning and the Mach-E are not profitable at even the current price points, Ford just wanted to be in the market so bad, they figured they could eat the losses until they could field full clean sheet designs optimized for low cost production.

3. Tesla did drop prices. Still making money on each one sold. That's sustainable. I said quite some time ago that legacy needed to unlearn 100 years of how to make and sell cars. They have not done that. Tesla production for Q3 was down over Q2, but there was also a factory shutdown to switch over to the new Model 3 called Highland.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/18/elon-musk-owned-tesla-profit-margins-shrink-after-prices-slashed/

Lets check back in a couple of months. Where the hell legacy makers will be? Who knows. They made their bed, and now hove to sleep in it. They are crippled by dealers who hate EVs since they lose a lot of repair revenue, the big money maker. They are hampered by unions who hate EVs since it reduces the number of workers needed, which reduces the unions vote buying power. They are hampered by old stovepiped engineering structures and 100 years of "This is the only right way to make cars".
Nothing new here just another swing and a miss Polly!

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Ford Cuts Jobs, Investment for Michigan Electric Vehicle Battery Plant Linked to Chinese Firm

This week, Ford executives said their jobs and investment commitment are dwindling from their initial projection — cutting the number of jobs scheduled for the plant by 800 and potentially cutting their investment into the plant by more than $1 billion. Ultimately, the decision may cut the plant’s production by about 40 percent.

“We’ve been studying this project for the past couple of months,” Ford’s Mark Truby told the Detroit Free Press. “I think we’re all aware EV adoption is growing, and we expect that to continue, actually. But it’s not growing at the pace that I think ourselves and the industry had expected.”

Ford’s decision is yet another blow to Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) who is backing the plant despite its ties to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) and local opposition. Whitmer has planned to provide Ford with immense tax breaks to build the plant.

DaSDGuy

glhs837

Power with Control
More Tesla/Sweden drama

I can see them just saying "Screw it. We won't sell these cars in Sweden anymore. You're not worth the hassle. " . Remember this is the same company that when the entire global industry was crashing and burning for lack of chips they just worked around it and kept on going. I don't think parts from one small supplier in Sweden is going to slow them down too much

PeoplesElbow

I can see them just saying "Screw it. We won't sell these cars in Sweden anymore. You're not worth the hassle. " . Remember this is the same company that when the entire global industry was crashing and burning for lack of chips they just worked around it and kept on going. I don't think parts from one small supplier in Sweden is going to slow them down too much
I can see other Europeans following suit because it's an American company, Musk isn't a progressive etc.

glhs837

Power with Control
I can see other Europeans following suit because it's an American company, Musk isn't a progressive etc.

Hard to say, they also generally love Teslas. Enough that they bought the hell out of them when they were all imported first from the US then China with the huge markups import taxes brought. American company, but now produced in Germany. IG Metal tried a play a month or so ago, lodging complaints about worker treatment and safety violations in Giga Berlin. German court told them to pound sand. Greenies have fought against them tooth and nail for years now and lost at every turn. From the original land clearing to how much water they can take, lawsuits the whole way. They did slow it down some, but they didn't stop them.

Like the Big Three union campaigns against Japanese cars in the 70s, it make headlines, while the normal people keep buying a better product at a better price.