Electric Car News

Kinnakeet

Like other metrics, everyone wants to go against max everything, regardless of the real world reality.

"Ohmagerd, it cant go 500 miles, fill up in 10 minutes, switch drivers and go another 500!!!!! WORTHLESS!!!!!"

When the reality is that its a pretty tiny amount of the total trucking industry that does that type of runs. And of course, don't forget the fleet math. Will fleet operators eat some dead time or rearrange delivery routes in return for a massive reduction in operating costs? Damn straight they will. Cost per mile is king. And until diesel gets down to a buck a gallon and maintenance is done for elves who work for free using parts made out of free pixies dust, they will not be able to compete.
BLAH BLAH BLAH

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Three big reasons Americans haven't rapidly adopted EVs

US consumers are buying electric vehicles – just not at the pace some analysts predicted. A few core reasons keep the average consumer from moving past petrol.
T
Throughout the past few years, analysts have touted electric vehicles as the future of transport – one Americans would dive into, eagerly and rapidly. The EV market is indeed expanding, but the US's electric vehicle 'revolution' appears to be happening much slower than some analysts and car manufacturers expected.

Electric Vehicle Agenda Is Failing Families

Reality is starting to intrude on America’s electric vehicle fantasies. After years of hype, it is becoming undeniable that most people don’t want them, and increasingly fewer can afford them. Millions of Americans will pay a price for this folly, most of all the low-income households that depend so much on the affordable gasoline-powered vehicles that have been the target of this agenda.

The higher sticker price of EVs — even with the tax credits — is not the only reason they don’t make sense for those of modest means. Perhaps the greater affordability issue stems from their limited range, long charging times and difficulty charging in urban environments where street parking is the norm compared to the relative ease and reliability of operating gasoline-powered vehicles.

EVs are not practical as a household’s sole vehicle, which is all many struggling families can afford. Indeed, upward of 90 percent of EVs sit in the driveways of multi-car households next to one or more gasoline-powered cars that are typically driven more miles. The EV agenda may be in fashion with those on the upper rungs of the economic ladder, where such virtue signaling is in vogue. Still, it is badly out of touch with the realities of those lower down.

jrt_ms1995

Show of hands? Anyone?
Here you go!

1699549414203.png

glhs837

Power with Control
Three big reasons Americans haven't rapidly adopted EVs

US consumers are buying electric vehicles – just not at the pace some analysts predicted. A few core reasons keep the average consumer from moving past petrol.
T
Throughout the past few years, analysts have touted electric vehicles as the future of transport – one Americans would dive into, eagerly and rapidly. The EV market is indeed expanding, but the US's electric vehicle 'revolution' appears to be happening much slower than some analysts and car manufacturers expected.

Electric Vehicle Agenda Is Failing Families

Reality is starting to intrude on America’s electric vehicle fantasies. After years of hype, it is becoming undeniable that most people don’t want them, and increasingly fewer can afford them. Millions of Americans will pay a price for this folly, most of all the low-income households that depend so much on the affordable gasoline-powered vehicles that have been the target of this agenda.

The higher sticker price of EVs — even with the tax credits — is not the only reason they don’t make sense for those of modest means. Perhaps the greater affordability issue stems from their limited range, long charging times and difficulty charging in urban environments where street parking is the norm compared to the relative ease and reliability of operating gasoline-powered vehicles.

EVs are not practical as a household’s sole vehicle, which is all many struggling families can afford. Indeed, upward of 90 percent of EVs sit in the driveways of multi-car households next to one or more gasoline-powered cars that are typically driven more miles. The EV agenda may be in fashion with those on the upper rungs of the economic ladder, where such virtue signaling is in vogue. Still, it is badly out of touch with the realities of those lower down.

We agree, making it an "agenda" is a Bad Idea. And struggling families should maybe not be buying new anyway. Urban environments are not ready for EVs, we agree on that was well.

How many single vehicle households do you know? When you remove the people who have none (8%) looks like two vehicle households are the norm.

When we look at what else this author has written, you might get the sense that she's coming at this from a different place than you or I.

phreddyp

We agree, making it an "agenda" is a Bad Idea. And struggling families should maybe not be buying new anyway. Urban environments are not ready for EVs, we agree on that was well.

How many single vehicle households do you know? When you remove the people who have none (8%) looks like two vehicle households are the norm.

When we look at what else this author has written, you might get the sense that she's coming at this from a different place than you or I.
Nice try Polly. But the author is pretty much spot on, your owner not so much!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Waltham was home, we spent summers in a campground in Westford. Daughters fiance's from Chelmsford, and they live in Fitchburg.
One of my nephews graduated from Fitchburg State. Still have a lot of family in the Springfield area, some in Worcester, Rutland and southern NH.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nice try Polly. But the author is pretty much spot on, your owner not so much!

See, I said I agree with her on some things. She seems to be saying that the urban "struggling" poor cannot afford them, nor do they have a place to charge. Yep. Both of these things are true. My point was that conflating the urban new EV experience with the overall norm isn't valid. Most car owning households have two cars. And there are choices in EVs below the average new car selling price.

Data from Kelley Blue Book puts the average cost of a new car at $48,008 as of March 2023. That's 1.1% lower than the average price in February, which was $48,558. However, there was a 3.8% increase in transaction prices in the last 12 months.

According to Kelley Blue Book, 17 of the 23 vehicle categories showed a pricing increase from March 2022 to March 2023. However, three showed double-digit increases — these were as follows:

• Vans: 20.3% ($48,287 to $58,078)
  • Luxury Full-Size SUVs and Crossovers: 16.3% ($106,838 to $124,250)
  • Entry-Level Luxury Cars: 11% ($99,958 to $110,983)

A base model Y is less expensive that that 48K. Hell, a Model 3 Long Range is 3K less than that. And these prices do not include the $7500 tax credit.

phreddyp

See, I said I agree with her on some things. She seems to be saying that the urban "struggling" poor cannot afford them, nor do they have a place to charge. Yep. Both of these things are true. My point was that conflating the urban new EV experience with the overall norm isn't valid. Most car owning households have two cars. And there are choices in EVs below the average new car selling price.

A base model Y is less expensive that that 48K. Hell, a Model 3 Long Range is 3K less than that. And these prices do not include the $7500 tax credit.
Are you so dense that you cannot understand that the low hanging fruit has already been picked and now EV's are going to have to stand on their own accord. Paying a premium for a not ready for prime time EV is most likely not going to appeal to the rank and file. Hybrids have a shot, EV'S are decades away from being the go to vehicle for most Americans.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My son is still trying to sell his Model 3 in an incredibly down market that is Norway right now. Large part of the population is dumping their EVs..

glhs837

Power with Control
Are you so dense that you cannot understand that the low hanging fruit has already been picked and now EV's are going to have to stand on their own accord. Paying a premium for a not ready for prime time EV is most likely not going to appeal to the rank and file. Hybrids have a shot, EV'S are decades away from being the go to vehicle for most Americans.

Yet Tesla still selling like hotcakes... :) See, unlike you I understand that numbers mean more than adjectives :)

glhs837

Power with Control
My son is still trying to sell his Model 3 in an incredibly down market that is Norway right now. Large part of the population is dumping their EVs..

Hmm, so how does that jive with this article? All new car sales dropped, but ICE dropped more than EVs.

In September, the number of new passenger car registrations in Norway decreased by more than 29 percent year-over-year to 10,342. The year-to-date result remains in the red with 95,499 units registered (down 7.1 percent year-over-year).

Interestingly, rechargeable car sales also decreased year-over-year, but because the drop was slightly lower than the market average, the market share increased to the highest level ever recorded.

I wonder if perhaps what's happening is that people who bought imported Model 3s which carried a high tariff are now stuck behind new production cars from the German factory that do not face tariffs.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hmm, so how does that jive with this article? All new car sales dropped, but ICE dropped more than EVs.

I wonder if perhaps what's happening is that people who bought imported Model 3s which carried a high tariff are now stuck behind new production cars from the German factory that do not face tariffs.
I just deal with reality. Or..my son is....to be accurate. You don't.

glhs837

Power with Control
I just deal with reality. Or..my son is....to be accurate. You don't.

I'm not saying he and others are not selling their EVs. I'm just wondering how that ties in with increased registrations. These are two facts. I'm open to interpretations, and presented the only one that makes sense to me.

I mean its possible the govt is lying about how many cars are being registered? Seems unlikely though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not saying he and others are not selling their EVs. I'm just wondering how that ties in with increased registrations. These are two facts. I'm open to interpretations, and presented the only one that makes sense to me.

I mean its possible the govt is lying about how many cars are being registered? Seems unlikely though.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/23939076/norway-electric-vehicle-cars-evs-tesla-oslo

A glut of used vehicles, rescinded/cancelled tax incentives, and reality.....

https://insideevs.com/news/685031/norway-plugin-car-sales-august2023/

I was given an EV by Avis just the other day, to drive home from Dulles. A Kia...it was a nice ride. Guys at Avis in LP were not happy to see it show up though...they have no charging station for it. LOL.

Last edited: