Electric Car News

phreddyp

Yet Tesla still selling like hotcakes... :) See, unlike you I understand that numbers mean more than adjectives :)

Sure they are Polly, 285 million vehicles on the road 2 million EV's. If I sold 2 Ev's last year and 3 this year sales are up 50% Polly. I bet you rank Covid right up there with the Black Death too!

glhs837

Power with Control
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/23939076/norway-electric-vehicle-cars-evs-tesla-oslo

A glut of used vehicles, rescinded/cancelled tax incentives, and reality.....

https://insideevs.com/news/685031/norway-plugin-car-sales-august2023/

I was given an EV by Avis just the other day, to drive home from Dulles. A Kia...it was a nice ride. Guys at Avis in LP were not happy to see it show up though...they have no charging station for it. LOL.

The Vox article is just a a piece saying that they should have focussed on public transportation instead of EVs.

That second article mentions yet again that the drop in EV sales (6%) was still less than the overall drop in vehicle sales (10%). So this isn't EVs being rejected, its all new car sales dropping.

Seems silly for the local not to. but that building is such a shithole that it might not have sufficient service. That porch is gonna cost them huge in a lawsuit some day.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Seems silly for the local not to. but that building is such a shithole that it might not have sufficient service. That porch is gonna cost them huge in a lawsuit some day.
That crappy little building has not changed a bit since I first rented a car there over 30 years ago....LOL

glhs837

Power with Control
Sure they are Polly, 285 million vehicles on the road 2 million EV's. If I sold 2 Ev's last year and 3 this year sales are up 50% Polly. I bet you rank Covid right up there with the Black Death too!

See, you keep acting like I'm a liberal :) And that's pretty funny. Hell, I travelled during the supposed height of covid and spent three weeks in Seattle leading a team evolution. :) With two three day trips on either side of that for setup and breakdown. So ,no.

As for how many, the total is less important than the fact they the rate of adoption increases. And we really don't want it to grow too fast. Need time for the grid to keep up. So even doubling every year might be too much. We should drop the tax incentives and let them live or die.

glhs837

Power with Control
Even though Ford is bailing on investments in EV stuff, I saw a few of the EV Mustangs while in Norway recently. Have not seen one around here yet.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-stops-work-35-billion-ev-battery-plant-michigan

I see a few around. But not many. I've not seen if they are actually making money per car. Pretty sure the Lightning is a per unit loss. If you are making money on the cars, loss on CAPEX is okay. But you need to optimize production.

Very hard to do when you are hampered by muti-tier supply chains and unions insisting you keep more bodies than you need. And your engineering process is a huge hierarchal stovepiped mess.

phreddyp

See, you keep acting like I'm a liberal :) And that's pretty funny. Hell, I travelled during the supposed height of covid and spent three weeks in Seattle leading a team evolution. :) With two three day trips on either side of that for setup and breakdown. So ,no.

As for how many, the total is less important than the fact they the rate of adoption increases. And we really don't want it to grow too fast. Need time for the grid to keep up. So even doubling every year might be too much. We should drop the tax incentives and let them live or die.
Dream on Polly! The greenies will keep pushing until the next administration change!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Why Classic Car Enthusiasts Won't Touch Modern Cars

CASA GRANDE, Ariz.—Given the choice between a sporty new Chevy Corvette and his 1963 Dodge 330, Bob Hughes will take the 60-year-old classic any day.

The simplicity of automotive design from yesteryear has its virtues, Mr. Hughes said, relaxing in a lawn chair next to his former "daily driver" at the Thunderfest Car and Bike Show in Casa Grande, Arizona, on Nov. 4.

"You can change the plugs—you can see the plugs—which is something you can't do on most new cars," he said.

"I built this thing from nothing. It was a $75 body when I bought it." That was in 1970.

All around the big parking lot were classic hot rods and muscle cars—tricked-out mechanical masterpieces from when vehicles were easy to work on if you had the tools and the skill.

It isn't the same with newer automated vehicles, vintage and classic car enthusiasts say.

glhs837

Power with Control

Why Classic Car Enthusiasts Won't Touch Modern Cars

CASA GRANDE, Ariz.—Given the choice between a sporty new Chevy Corvette and his 1963 Dodge 330, Bob Hughes will take the 60-year-old classic any day.

The simplicity of automotive design from yesteryear has its virtues, Mr. Hughes said, relaxing in a lawn chair next to his former "daily driver" at the Thunderfest Car and Bike Show in Casa Grande, Arizona, on Nov. 4.

"You can change the plugs—you can see the plugs—which is something you can't do on most new cars," he said.

"I built this thing from nothing. It was a $75 body when I bought it." That was in 1970.

All around the big parking lot were classic hot rods and muscle cars—tricked-out mechanical masterpieces from when vehicles were easy to work on if you had the tools and the skill.

It isn't the same with newer automated vehicles, vintage and classic car enthusiasts say.

All true. I'll always keep an ICE or two around, although the usage pattern will shift.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

ARE EVS A DOOMED TECHNOLOGY?

Electric vehicles have been around for 100 years or so. They lost out to gasoline powered cars because gasoline powered cars are better. Is that ever going to change? At the Telegraph, Michael Kelly draws an analogy to the Concorde:

The man in the street has failed to embrace BEVs for the same reason he failed to embrace Concorde nearly 50 years ago: the extra cost – of order £10,000 per vehicle – represents an insurmountable barrier. People might pay the extra if they were getting something better in performance terms, but range anxiety and the lack of convenient recharging infrastructure remain formidable hurdles. Insurance costs are high too, with figures as high as £6000 quoted in the media.

A tendency to spontaneously combust will tend to drive up insurance rates. But that isn’t the worst of it:

There are other cost pressures on EVs. While oil and gas are widespread commodities, with numerous suppliers around the world, the materials for BEV batteries are mostly controlled by China. Expansion of the EV market will reap rich rewards for Beijing (while simultaneously causing immense environmental damage): and limited supplies combined with rising demand will push up prices still further.

Politicians are demanding that we switch to EVs while at the same time transforming our electrical grid by turning to wind and solar generation–which is impossible, and won’t happen:

Another source of cost inflation is human resources. We will need 40,000 professional engineers for the next 30 years just to expand the electricity supply industry – generation, transmission and distribution – to cope with the 170 per cent increase in demand required by the planned transition to all-electric transport and heating, both industrial and domestic.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
EVs are doomed if government continues to push them as mandatory. Let the industry sink or swim on it's merits, or not.

On the fence about new homes being mandated to have EV charge points. If the home owner doesn't have an EV, is a 'wasted' expense. However, it's far far cheaper to have it installed at the time the home is built as opposed to post-build installation if it becomes needed, and is a good future sell point.

glhs837

Power with Control

ARE EVS A DOOMED TECHNOLOGY?

Electric vehicles have been around for 100 years or so. They lost out to gasoline powered cars because gasoline powered cars are better. Is that ever going to change? At the Telegraph, Michael Kelly draws an analogy to the Concorde:

A tendency to spontaneously combust will tend to drive up insurance rates. But that isn’t the worst of it:

Politicians are demanding that we switch to EVs while at the same time transforming our electrical grid by turning to wind and solar generation–which is impossible, and won’t happen:

Speaking of parrots. Not you Gurps, but the author. Just regurgitating so many things that simply are not true. As we know, the numbers show that people indeed are not fleeing EVs, they are just buying the ones that dont cost extra and that have a good charging infrastructure.

And no, they, just like people don' t "spontaneously" combust. Corrected for quantity fielded, they do catch fire far less often, and when they do the results are far better than is usually the case with gasoline vehicles.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Even though Ford is bailing on investments in EV stuff, I saw a few of the EV Mustangs while in Norway recently. Have not seen one around here yet.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-stops-work-35-billion-ev-battery-plant-michigan
I have a Mustane EV (Mach-E), and I adore it. It is stylistically beautiful, fast as shiat, and super-duper comfortable. We can go 300 miles of range without re-charging. We have three charging stations in our barn, so whatever bay I pull in to, I can charge. As the barn is equipped with 32 solar panels, my "fuel charge" is nada.