Electric Car News

Kinnakeet

I have a Mustane EV (Mach-E), and I adore it. It is stylistically beautiful, fast as shiat, and super-duper comfortable. We can go 300 miles of range without re-charging. We have three charging stations in our barn, so whatever bay I pull in to, I can charge. As the barn is equipped with 32 solar panels, my "fuel charge" is nada.
300 miles and you cant find somewhere to plug into whats next

Kinnakeet

2.86 million new cars were sold in 2022. At an average cost of $46,000 dollars. So while nobody you know might be buying new cars, quite a few people are.

Well, the average American does about 30 miles a day. And while it doesnt fit your lifestyle, it can for many if they look at it logically. Heck, how many two car households could make that second an EV and never miss a beat?

I would say Tesla has hit that bar, even as others struggle with it. A new Model 3 long range, which will get you at least 275-280 miles before needing recharge (which charge takes about 15-20 minutes, a nice leg stretch and snack) will set you back about 45k. Now that's before the $7500 tax credit. And of course the money you save on gas and maint.

And the used market looks even better. These prices are not bad at all for what you get.

Will you please stop believing everything you read its more than likely democrat propaganda EV's are worthless they cannot do a 1/4 of what a ICE vehicle can.

glhs837

Power with Control

Once she gains access to the Supercharger network, that shouldnt ever be a problem.

Will you please stop believing everything you read its more than likely democrat propaganda EV's are worthless they cannot do a 1/4 of what a ICE vehicle can.

See, here's the thing. I believe articles that link sources of information. Please, tell me what information I have posted that is incorrect? This is where you and phreddy fall apart. You call me names and say my information is all BS. But you never produce anything that refutes it.

PeoplesElbow

You could replace two entire engines in an ICE vehicle for the cost of those battery banks.
It's really all the other stuff that costs money on ICE vehicles, brakes, alternator, starters. The electric proponents forget about how much more evs use in tires.

glhs837

Power with Control

Once she gains access to the Supercharger network, that shouldnt ever be a problem.

See, here's the thing. I believe articles that link sources of information. Please, tell me what information I have posted that is incorrect? This is where you and phreddy fall apart. You call me names and say my information is all BS. But you never produce anything that refutes it.
This will surely hurt Tesla

Well, they sold like 9,000 cars there in September, so not a big hit :)

I just laughed so hard I had coffee blowing out my nose.

You sound just like Dr.Fauci, follow my science and advice, ignore what you see and hear with your own eyes and ears.
Go get'em Polly

Sorry if you, like Fauci, ignore actual verifiable data and information and prefer to maintain an eroding story by just yelling your wrong. You keep saying the information is incorrect, but all you bring to the table are thoughts and feelings. You keep accusing me of acting like a liberal, but you are the one ignoring valid information in favor of a party line. Saying all EVS are trash is like saying all vaccines are trash. You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater in favor of a political party line. Not all EVs are great, or even good. And they are not for everybody.

See, that's called judgement, you know, the thing where you weigh data and decide which has more or less credence and base your opinion on that. If your sources are suspect, then your conclusions will be also. Sort of like this young lady, who you and Kinny both increasingly sound like.. :)

dem success GIF

PeoplesElbow

Sorry if you, like Fauci, ignore actual verifiable data and information and prefer to maintain an eroding story by just yelling your wrong. You keep saying the information is incorrect, but all you bring to the table are thoughts and feelings. You keep accusing me of acting like a liberal, but you are the one ignoring valid information in favor of a party line. Saying all EVS are trash is like saying all vaccines are trash. You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater in favor of a political party line. Not all EVs are great, or even good. And they are not for everybody.

See, that's called judgement, you know, the thing where you weigh data and decide which has more or less credence and base your opinion on that. If your sources are suspect, then your conclusions will be also. Sort of like this young lady, who you and Kinny both increasingly sound like.. :)

dem success GIF
The hit in Sweden will be if they open the gate to unions.

phreddyp

dem success GIF
Another swing and a miss!

phreddyp

Another claim with no information. Below is what valid information looks like. Guess what happens when battery prices drop? Sort of whats happening now with Teslas, they become more affordable :) Feel free to find rebuttal information. Or just say "Noooooooo!!!! Not Soooooooo!!!!" :)

No surprise here, when demand goes down so do prices. 1st rule of economics, EV manufacturers slowing down production, what did you think was gonna happen Polly?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We've never had difficulty in finding places to charge. There are tools available to identify charging options locations, and also to identify an efficient path of charging to your destination. Our 17 year old son drove from St. Mary's County all the way to upstate Vermont by himself the week after we bought our EV. He was able to map out the drive to include charging stops that also coincided with normal stops to stretch his legs and to grab a drink or get something to eat. We followed behind him separately, and we arrived at our destination at a similar time. His stops for charging closely matched our stops for fuel. FYI: at a minimum, almost every single car dealership now has charging stations available for use, sometimes using a pay option, sometimes free.

glhs837

Power with Control
No surprise here, when demand goes down so do prices. 1st rule of economics, EV manufacturers slowing down production, what did you think was gonna happen Polly?

There's more to it than that. Increased mining capacity coming online and increased refining capacity as well. I'm not saying the domestic makers slowing their plans isn't a factor, but the market and demand for materials is global. Tesla not slowing production, neither are the Chinese. And they are by far the two biggest EV makers in the world. So its more fair to say ICE manufacturers are slowing production of EVs.

We talked about this a while back, if you recall. Don't try and paint what the "Big Three" are doing and experiencing into the larger global marketplace. They failed in making compelling competitive products at a profitable price point. People will buy efficient EVs with good range at a good price. But Ford, GM, and Stellantis did not commit early enough to making clean sheet efficient designs that can be produced profitably.

phreddyp

There's more to it than that. Increased mining capacity coming online and increased refining capacity as well. I'm not saying the domestic makers slowing their plans isn't a factor, but the market and demand for materials is global. Tesla not slowing production, neither are the Chinese. And they are by far the two biggest EV makers in the world. So its more fair to say ICE manufacturers are slowing production of EVs.

We talked about this a while back, if you recall. Don't try and paint what the "Big Three" are doing and experiencing into the larger global marketplace. They failed in making compelling competitive products at a profitable price point. People will buy efficient EVs with good range at a good price. But Ford, GM, and Stellantis did not commit early enough to making clean sheet efficient designs that can be produced profitably.
Another swing and a miss lol ! Keep grasping at straws Polly.

phreddyp

Yep that's why Ford is cutting back battery production 43%

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
The EV market is also losing steam. Sales are slumping and manufacturers are scaling back on production.

Ford Motor Company stands to lose $4.5 billion on its EV business for 2023 and will be delaying many of their EV investments.

General Motors said it was restructuring EV goals, Honda shelved plans to develop affordable EVs with GM, and Hertz said it will slow their rate of purchasing them due to high repair costs. Elon Musk is even considering putting off plans for a $1 billion plant in Mexico.

Most, if not all, manufacturers are reporting major losses per EV sold. Ford lost $62,000 per vehicle in the third quarter; one luxury electric vehicle company lost an astounding $430,000. Countless others are losing tens of thousands of dollars per vehicle, quarter after quarter.

Car dealers are slashing EV prices. EVs sit on lots nearly twice as long as internal combustion engines. Even industry-leader Tesla has been shaving thousands off their retail prices due to unmet sales expectations.

This kind of loss is not sustainable for any company.

OccamsRazor

The EV market is also losing steam. Sales are slumping and manufacturers are scaling back on production.

Ford Motor Company stands to lose $4.5 billion on its EV business for 2023 and will be delaying many of their EV investments.

General Motors said it was restructuring EV goals, Honda shelved plans to develop affordable EVs with GM, and Hertz said it will slow their rate of purchasing them due to high repair costs. Elon Musk is even considering putting off plans for a $1 billion plant in Mexico.

Most, if not all, manufacturers are reporting major losses per EV sold. Ford lost $62,000 per vehicle in the third quarter; one luxury electric vehicle company lost an astounding $430,000. Countless others are losing tens of thousands of dollars per vehicle, quarter after quarter.

Car dealers are slashing EV prices. EVs sit on lots nearly twice as long as internal combustion engines. Even industry-leader Tesla has been shaving thousands off their retail prices due to unmet sales expectations.

Not to worry. These EV manufacturers (in the US) will run to Uncle Sugar and ask for a handout because they were "forced" to go EV. In the end, even if you didn't buy or even want EVs, you will end up paying for it.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Not to worry. These EV manufacturers (in the US) will run to Uncle Sugar and ask for a handout because they were "forced" to go EV. In the end, even if you didn't buy or even want EVs, you will end up paying for it.
... And the number will grow to 50 Trillion.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Friends of mine had bought a Lucid, maybe a year ago or less. They have already gotten rid of it.

glhs837

Power with Control

Didnt you read the below part of my post?

" Don't try and paint what the "Big Three" are doing and experiencing into the larger global marketplace. They failed in making compelling competitive products at a profitable price point.

Okay, by the numbers. And keep in mind, Fox does have an axe to grind here.

1. GM is bag of ass, as can be seen by selling the Bolt for five years at a 7K loss per vehicle, no idea what they are doing. Honda was dumb to even partner with them.

2. Tesla Mexico is still on, but possibly delayed. You might have heard of a recession?

3. Fords huge losses are whats called CAPEX. Shockingly, building new factories and battery production facilities costs a lot of money. Tesla faced the same issue while building capacity. Once those are built and producing, you start making money. Now, as for "losses per vehicle" calculations, those a bit deceptive. It lumps in CAPEX expenditures on infrastructure with production cost. Once that CAPEX spend is over, then you see the true production cost. So, no, it doesn't cost Ford $62,000 more than it cost in material and labor to build the vehicle. Now, even with that, are the vehicles they producing profitable, or is that reserved for the second gen? No telling. I think both the Lightning and the Mach-E are not profitable at even the current price points, Ford just wanted to be in the market so bad, they figured they could eat the losses until they could field full clean sheet designs optimized for low cost production.

3. Tesla did drop prices. Still making money on each one sold. That's sustainable. I said quite some time ago that legacy needed to unlearn 100 years of how to make and sell cars. They have not done that. Tesla production for Q3 was down over Q2, but there was also a factory shutdown to switch over to the new Model 3 called Highland.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/18/elon-musk-owned-tesla-profit-margins-shrink-after-prices-slashed/

Lets check back in a couple of months. Where the hell legacy makers will be? Who knows. They made their bed, and now hove to sleep in it. They are crippled by dealers who hate EVs since they lose a lot of repair revenue, the big money maker. They are hampered by unions who hate EVs since it reduces the number of workers needed, which reduces the unions vote buying power. They are hampered by old stovepiped engineering structures and 100 years of "This is the only right way to make cars".