Electric Car News

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
20230711-Tesla-Dealer-Lot.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control

May I ask the source of that photo? Usually images like this come towards the end of the quarter, when theres a huge delivery push. This same lot three days later might be empty. Heres' the thing. Tesla showrooms are not dealerships, and they don't order in inventory that hasn't been sold. So if you see this many cars, it means there are that many cars that have been sold and not picked up.

phreddyp

May I ask the source of that photo? Usually images like this come towards the end of the quarter, when theres a huge delivery push. This same lot three days later might be empty. Heres' the thing. Tesla showrooms are not dealerships, and they don't order in inventory that hasn't been sold. So if you see this many cars, it means there are that many cars that have been sold and not picked up.
Yep the buyers wised up finally, better to lose a deposit than lose 20k in value in a minute.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep the buyers wised up finally, better to lose a deposit than lose 20k in value in a minute.
I mean it's a nice story but let's get some facts and find out what really is going on there. Once I know where that picture is from then we can figure things out

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Car Dealers Warn Biden: ‘Unrealistic’ Green Agenda Must Be Abandoned, Americans Not Buying Electric Cars

“… we are asking you to slow down your proposed regulations mandating battery electric vehicle (BEV) production and distribution,” the car dealers tell Biden:

Your administration has proposed regulations that would essentially mandate a dramatic shift to battery electric vehicles (BEVs), increasing year after year until 2032, when two out of every three vehicles sold in America would have to be battery electric. [Emphasis added]

The reality, however, is that electric vehicle demand today is not keeping up with the large influx of BEVs arriving at our dealerships prompted by the current regulations. BEVs are stacking up on our lots. [Emphasis added]

According to the car dealers, “enthusiasm has stalled” with EVs and the number of unsold EVs sitting on dealership lots are piling up “even with deep price cuts, manufacturer incentives, and generous government incentives.”

“With each passing day, it becomes more apparent that this attempted electric vehicle mandate is unrealistic based on current and forecasted customer demand,” the car dealers write to Biden. “Already, electric vehicles are stacking up on our lots which is our best indicator of customer demand in the marketplace.”

Kinnakeet

Didnt you read the below part of my post?

Okay, by the numbers. And keep in mind, Fox does have an axe to grind here.

1. GM is bag of ass, as can be seen by selling the Bolt for five years at a 7K loss per vehicle, no idea what they are doing. Honda was dumb to even partner with them.

2. Tesla Mexico is still on, but possibly delayed. You might have heard of a recession?

3. Fords huge losses are whats called CAPEX. Shockingly, building new factories and battery production facilities costs a lot of money. Tesla faced the same issue while building capacity. Once those are built and producing, you start making money. Now, as for "losses per vehicle" calculations, those a bit deceptive. It lumps in CAPEX expenditures on infrastructure with production cost. Once that CAPEX spend is over, then you see the true production cost. So, no, it doesn't cost Ford $62,000 more than it cost in material and labor to build the vehicle. Now, even with that, are the vehicles they producing profitable, or is that reserved for the second gen? No telling. I think both the Lightning and the Mach-E are not profitable at even the current price points, Ford just wanted to be in the market so bad, they figured they could eat the losses until they could field full clean sheet designs optimized for low cost production.

3. Tesla did drop prices. Still making money on each one sold. That's sustainable. I said quite some time ago that legacy needed to unlearn 100 years of how to make and sell cars. They have not done that. Tesla production for Q3 was down over Q2, but there was also a factory shutdown to switch over to the new Model 3 called Highland.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/18/elon-musk-owned-tesla-profit-margins-shrink-after-prices-slashed/

Lets check back in a couple of months. Where the hell legacy makers will be? Who knows. They made their bed, and now hove to sleep in it. They are crippled by dealers who hate EVs since they lose a lot of repair revenue, the big money maker. They are hampered by unions who hate EVs since it reduces the number of workers needed, which reduces the unions vote buying power. They are hampered by old stovepiped engineering structures and 100 years of "This is the only right way to make cars".
Please stop with your replies..the world is not ready for EV junk

glhs837

Power with Control
Please stop with your replies..the world is not ready for EV junk

Pleases stop reading them :) Stay in your bubble where the only information you are exposed to agrees with your world view :) The world will do as it will.
Thats one ugly POS..

Some think so. And I'm sure, if it meets my specs and I get one, people will tell me so. Might make up cards that say "Thanks for your opinion that I didn't ask for!" :) Lucky for me, others opinions are not a factor in how I decide things :)

glhs837

Power with Control

Car Dealers Warn Biden: ‘Unrealistic’ Green Agenda Must Be Abandoned, Americans Not Buying Electric Cars

“… we are asking you to slow down your proposed regulations mandating battery electric vehicle (BEV) production and distribution,” the car dealers tell Biden:

According to the car dealers, “enthusiasm has stalled” with EVs and the number of unsold EVs sitting on dealership lots are piling up “even with deep price cuts, manufacturer incentives, and generous government incentives.”

“With each passing day, it becomes more apparent that this attempted electric vehicle mandate is unrealistic based on current and forecasted customer demand,” the car dealers write to Biden. “Already, electric vehicles are stacking up on our lots which is our best indicator of customer demand in the marketplace.”

I agree with the dealers. The administration shouldn't be doing mandates and incentives. But the real reason people are not buying the cars in question is that they not competitive in technology or price. And remember, dealers have a vested interest in EVS not working out, since it cuts their service profits to virtually nil.

Funny, I've never been told where that picture of the lot full of TEslas came from, have I?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Electric Vehicles Have 80% More Problems than Gas-Powered Cars

The survey from Consumer Reports, which asked owners of about 330,000 vehicles about issues they faced over the last year, found that EVs have almost 80 percent more problems than gas-powered cars using traditional combustion engines.

Most problems consumers face with EVs, the report suggests, are long charging times, a lack of charging stations in general, issues with the lithium-ion battery, outer and interior parts not fitting precisely, and engine failures.

The Associated Press (AP) reports:

Consumer Reports derived its survey data from subscribers who owned EVs from the 2021 through 2023 model years and compared them with other vehicle types. In calculating a vehicle’s average problem rate, the organization assigned extra weight to serious problems such as battery or engine failures. [Emphasis added]
EVs from the 2021 and 2022 model years overall had more than twice the problem rates of internal combustion vehicles. The rates were more closely aligned in the 2023 model year: Those EVs had only 21% more problems than gasoline vehicles, Fisher said. [Emphasis added]

Michael Coram, who lives near Buffalo, New York, told the AP he had to turn his all-electric Chevrolet Bolt SUV on and off up to 12 times before he could get the car into drive because of the region’s cold temperatures.

The AP also noted the massive drop in EV sales as of late. In June 2022, for instance, EV sales had jumped 90 percent from the year prior. By June 2023, that growth in EV sales had slowed to 50 percent.

Kinnakeet

I mean it's a nice story but let's get some facts and find out what really is going on there. Once I know where that picture is from then we can figure things out
Stop defending the EV BS you know its worthless we know its worthless for for the love of God stop with your nonsense

glhs837

Power with Control
Stop defending the EV BS you know its worthless we know its worthless for for the love of God stop with your nonsense

You can defend your positions with facts, or stop reading..... :) You say nonsense, but your rebuttals are like this, factless diatribes or insults. :)

phreddyp

You can defend your positions with facts, or stop reading..... :) You say nonsense, but your rebuttals are like this, factless diatribes or insults. :)
You can get your facts just reading about the TESLA truck, just another piece of junk that is not ready for prime time. When you actually buy an EV someone MIGHT take your testimonial seriously! Until then you are just spouting the same old BS Polly.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can get your facts just reading about the TESLA truck, just another piece of junk that is not ready for prime time. When you actually buy an EV someone MIGHT take your testimonial seriously! Until then you are just spouting the same old BS Polly.

You have not bought one, yet you spout all day long. At least the things I put out are verifiable facts from reputable sources.

glhs837

Power with Control
What they proposed four years ago would been an amazing game changer. What they ended up with is still a competitive product against other EV trucks and some of the ICE competition, depending on your use case.

Will I still be buying one? Not sure, the price increase makes it a harder sell. Figure $72,500 after tax rebate, not a bad deal for 11k towing, 2,500lb payload and 340 mile range. We'll see when it gets to my place in line.