Electric Car News

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Or... for about the same money...

The 6.7L High Output Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel offers a class-leading 40,000 lbs. conventional tow rating. * Super Duty® gas engines also contribute an exceptional payload rating. Need more proof? Keep scrolling.
*Max conventional rating of 40,000 lbs. available on (Class III/14,000 GVWR) F-450® Crew Cab with available 6.7L High-Output Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel engine. Class is Full-Size Pickups over 8,500 lbs. GVWR.

glhs837

Power with Control
Or... for about the same money...
You know that the quad cab F-150 is the benchmark, right? Seeing as it's the most popular configuration sold. But maybe folks shopping a 1/2 ton want to look at a two ton diesel that gets 10mpg. Probably not.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
You know that the quad cab F-150 is the benchmark, right? Seeing as it's the most popular configuration sold. But maybe folks shopping a 1/2 ton want to look at a two ton diesel that gets 10mpg. Probably not.
Not sure what diesel you were looking at the got 10mpg.

Last one I drove was getting about 12-13 while towing about 26-28k.

PeoplesElbow

What they proposed four years ago would been an amazing game changer. What they ended up with is still a competitive product against other EV trucks and some of the ICE competition, depending on your use case.

Will I still be buying one? Not sure, the price increase makes it a harder sell. Figure $72,500 after tax rebate, not a bad deal for 11k towing, 2,500lb payload and 340 mile range. We'll see when it gets to my place in line.
I think they could have made what they proposed, but it would have probably been $150k or more.

PeoplesElbow

glhs837

Power with Control
I think they could have made what they proposed, but it would have probably been $150k or more.

And when you go from concept to production, these are the choice you are faced with.

I think the benchmark is probably more the F-250 with the 6.7L Diesel, those ave listed on Fuely is about 14-15 MPG.

Kyles the one who said you could get an F-450 instead. I said that Tesla said flat out that the competition they were benchmarking was the most popular configuration of pickup in the US, the quad cab shortbed F-150, I'll suppose the Lariat trim. The XL is more commonly sold, but I suspect once you remove fleet sales, the average person buys Lariat more often than not.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
The configuration is the same regardless of whether it’s a 250, 350 or 450.

Crew cab, 8 foot bed, Single rear wheel, diesel, engine, and automatic transmission. My guess for the MPG you were quoting was for a HP with DRW.

glhs837

Power with Control
We configuration is the same regardless of whether it’s a 250, 350 or 450.

Crew cab, 8 foot bed, Single rear wheel, diesel, engine, and automatic transmission. My guess for the MPG you were quoting was for a HP with DRW.

Yeah, cause that a common consumer choice. :) Here's the thing, everybody wants their 1% use case to be met. And if you dont, your product is crap. Nobody designed this truck to tow a 24 foot boat from here to Miami. IF you are doing that, then a gas or diesel rig is your best choice.

But if you are hauling your 18-24 foot boat less than 200 miles to the water, as a lot of folks do, then this works fine for you.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Yeah, cause that a common consumer choice. :) Here's the thing, everybody wants their 1% use case to be met. And if you dont, your product is crap. Nobody designed this truck to tow a 24 foot boat from here to Miami. IF you are doing that, then a gas or diesel rig is your best choice.

But if you are hauling your 18-24 foot boat less than 200 miles to the water, as a lot of folks do, then this works fine for you.
Like I said, EVs would make a great golf cart... Or one of those grocery store electric scooters.

PeoplesElbow

And when you go from concept to production, these are the choice you are faced with.

Kyles the one who said you could get an F-450 instead. I said that Tesla said flat out that the competition they were benchmarking was the most popular configuration of pickup in the US, the quad cab shortbed F-150, I'll suppose the Lariat trim. The XL is more commonly sold, but I suspect once you remove fleet sales, the average person buys Lariat more often than not.
Going by what I see in the parking lot at work most I see have the FX on them, not sure what that means as I've never had an F-150.

I've had a Ranger and Tacoma. I've said before I want a plug in hybrid Tacoma, but not sure I'd ever want to get rid of my 2nd gen 4.0L Taco.

glhs837

Power with Control
Going by what I see in the parking lot at work most I see have the FX on them, not sure what that means as I've never had an F-150.

I've had a Ranger and Tacoma. I've said before I want a plug in hybrid Tacoma, but not sure I'd ever want to get rid of my 2nd gen 4.0L Taco.

Some form of upgrade for the 4x4 equipped models.

Like I said, EVs would make a great golf cart... Or one of those grocery store electric scooters.

300+ miles of range is fine for the great majority of folks. Especially when you consider you start with a "full tank" every day.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ev legos.jpg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just watched a vid by Two Bit da Vinci on the CyberTruck release. Not going to link it, easy to find if you're interested, amongst the many CyberTruck vids. He did hit the nail on the head regarding usage; who will be using it, how trucks are currently used, real world understanding. But I see a whole market that is being ignored, for good reason. This thing is pretty much bullet proof, glass is shatter-resistant, crash testing shows it to take a likkin' and keep on tickin'. Perfect vehicle for criminals. I think you're going to see an uptick in drive-by shootings, hit and runs, ATM thefts. A new level of invincibility while having an envied ride. The new bling.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just watched a vid by Two Bit da Vinci on the CyberTruck release. Not going to link it, easy to find if you're interested, amongst the many CyberTruck vids. He did hit the nail on the head regarding usage; who will be using it, how trucks are currently used, real world understanding. But I see a whole market that is being ignored, for good reason. This thing is pretty much bullet proof, glass is shatter-resistant, crash testing shows it to take a likkin' and keep on tickin'. Perfect vehicle for criminals. I think you're going to see an uptick in drive-by shootings, hit and runs, ATM thefts. A new level of invincibility while having an envied ride. The new bling.
Working on a cheaper model that still runs on gasoline....

PeoplesElbow

That can be simply turned off by the factory.