Electric Car News

PeoplesElbow

But given that, not sure why you have issues with a vehicle just sitting unused?
EVs, actually any car now a days have a large parasitic current draw compared to vehicles of the past and will kill a battery fairly quickly, including a 12V battery.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
EVs, actually any car now a days have a large parasitic current draw compared to vehicles of the past and will kill a battery fairly quickly, including a 12V battery.
It's probably not as bad as you'd think, and I doubt it would deplete the battery in 2-3 weeks to the point where you couldn't drive it to get a charge. If you're at home, a 120VAC plug will be fine for extended periods.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Oh wait.... forgot this was the EV thread. I meant to say...

You frikkin' moron! Read a book! Don't you have any idea how a battery works???

PeoplesElbow

Oh wait.... forgot this was the EV thread. I meant to say...

You frikkin' moron! Read a book! Don't you have any idea how a battery works???
?

There are known cases of Teslas killing their batteries while sitting in parking lots from cooling the car and known cases of the batteries just being too cold and not working.

Hybrids have had to have updates to fix parasitic current issues while in a dormant mode.

Before I was a caregiver I would have to go on travel for 3-4 weeks at a time. I simply wouldn't trust leaving a car this long without being driven/charged.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
?

There are known cases of Teslas killing their batteries while sitting in parking lots from cooling the car and known cases of the batteries just being too cold and not working.

Hybrids have had to have updates to fix parasitic current issues while in a dormant mode.

Before I was a caregiver I would have to go on travel for 3-4 weeks at a time. I simply wouldn't trust leaving a car this long without being driven/charged.
Sure, and that's fine. In the case of the a/c cooler running, I'd bet it was someone just not familiar with how the car operated when left alone, and just needed a user programming change to turn the cooler off when unattended. EVs are evolving, growing pains, bound to be updates. And everyone needs to be in their comfort zone regarding reliability. I have no issue with that. I'd always wonder if my truck was going to start after 2-3 weeks when I traveled. Always did, but I was prepared for the possibility of a no start.

PeoplesElbow

Sure, and that's fine. In the case of the a/c cooler running, I'd bet it was someone just not familiar with how the car operated when left alone, and just needed a user programming change to turn the cooler off when unattended. EVs are evolving, growing pains, bound to be updates. And everyone needs to be in their comfort zone regarding reliability. I have no issue with that. I'd always wonder if my truck was going to start after 2-3 weeks when I traveled. Always did, but I was prepared for the possibility of a no start.
That's sort of my point, jumping a 12v LA isn't a big deal, even so its $150 for a very good one.

Personally I'd feel safer owning an EV if I drove 50k miles a year vs if I drove 2k miles a year. I even make sure I exercise my Ego batteries over the winter about every 4-6 weeks with an inverter and a lamp.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That's sort of my point, jumping a 12v LA isn't a big deal, even so its $150 for a very good one.

Personally I'd feel safer owning an EV if I drove 50k miles a year vs if I drove 2k miles a year. I even make sure I exercise my Ego batteries over the winter about every 4-6 weeks with an inverter and a lamp.
One of the things I want to test, if and when I ever got my Aptera, is to let it sit and measure the battery loss over time. It won't reflect most EVs, because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and devices to draw power that most have, and was designed to absolutely minimize aux power drains/loads, but it will be good to know the limits. It will be using LiFePO4 batteries.

I have a 300AH LiFePO4 for my solar generator. It was fully charged to 99% back in August and hasn't been used since. Just checked it today, and is still 95.9% charged.

glhs837

Power with Control
?

So the drain in Tesla comes from two places. Once you turn those off, its fine for a while one is, as you mention, cabin overheat protection, and the other is Sentry Mode.

But would you be leaving it home or at the airport?

PeoplesElbow

PeoplesElbow

One of the things I want to test, if and when I ever got my Aptera, is to let it sit and measure the battery loss over time. It won't reflect most EVs, because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and devices to draw power that most have, and was designed to absolutely minimize aux power drains/loads, but it will be good to know the limits. It will be using LiFePO4 batteries.

I have a 300AH LiFePO4 for my solar generator. It was fully charged to 99% back in August and hasn't been used since. Just checked it today, and is still 95.9% charged.
Had to look up Aptera, you really getting one of those?

glhs837

Power with Control
For me the parking lot at work.

Assuming it's a decent place, then just leaving Sentry and Cabin overheat off would mean you would be fine. Estimate is about 1% a day. So if you leave it at say 80% you would be fine. Our winters here never really reach the sorts of temps that might cause issues although that rep really comes from first gen stuff.

1stGenSMIB

Yes. I have a deposit on one. Currently number 25,580 in line, almost 50,000 reservations now.
My father is in line for one too..No idea what his number is, but he is 85 years old. Not sure he will ever see one in his driveway, but if he did, it will probably replace the Can-Am Spyder he currently drags behind his RV, and uses as transpo to the local golf course.