Electric Car News

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My father is in line for one too..No idea what his number is, but he is 85 years old. Not sure he will ever see one in his driveway, but if he did, it will probably replace the Can-Am Spyder he currently drags behind his RV, and uses as transpo to the local golf course.
They might roll off the line late 2024. I hope he does get one too.

I have a Slingshot now, haven't decided if I'll sell that or not.

PeoplesElbow

Saw this and it hit me, yes the Aztec is what the cyber truck reminds me of.

cyber made a truck.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmm, from Jalopnik, who themselves are no lovers of EVs.

A slowdown could still be coming, but for now, this looks much more like a winnowing down of who is competitive in the market than a general drop-off in demand.

Hmm, where have we heard that before? I think the term I used weeks ago was compelling competitive products. Ah, from Nov 30.
I agree with the dealers. The administration shouldn't be doing mandates and incentives. But the real reason people are not buying the cars in question is that they not competitive in technology or price. And remember, dealers have a vested interest in EVS not working out, since it cuts their service profits to virtually nil.

Funny, I've never been told where that picture of the lot full of TEslas came from, have I?

glhs837

Power with Control
The infrastructure is just not going to be there if this is any indication.

For immediate total adoption hell no, nor should it be. And this is yet another fine example of why you should keep the government the hell out of these things. Only one network stands above the others. Electrify America was actually formed as a punishment for Volkswagen for diesel gate. EV Go is a subsidy baby. While Tesla will take public money to install chargers, that's not the main funding source by a wide margin.

I saw an article recently taking Massachusetts to task for having the same sort of delay in deploying this funding. I told my daughter who lives there that the real reason for the delay is so that all the stakeholders can figure out how to milk that federal money for as much benefit as possible

PeoplesElbow

For immediate total adoption hell no, nor should it be. And this is yet another fine example of why you should keep the government the hell out of these things. Only one network stands above the others. Electrify America was actually formed as a punishment for Volkswagen for diesel gate. EV Go is a subsidy baby. While Tesla will take public money to install chargers, that's not the main funding source by a wide margin.

I saw an article recently taking Massachusetts to task for having the same sort of delay in deploying this funding. I told my daughter who lives there that the real reason for the delay is so that all the stakeholders can figure out how to milk that federal money for as much benefit as possible
Absolutely agree, the Mafia is scrambling to get into the EV charger business. This will hurt perception, as I've stated many times the biggest barrier is psychological.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I told my daughter who lives there that the real reason for the delay is so that all the stakeholders can figure out how to milk that federal money for as much benefit as possible
That is the Taxachusetts in which I grew up.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Gas-Powered Porsche Macan Dying In Europe Sooner Than Expected Due To Cybersecurity Rules

The fully electric next-generation Porsche Macan will finally go on sale in 2024 after multiple delays, and Porsche’s original plan was for the current gas-powered Macan to soldier on alongside the new Macan EV for at least a couple of model years. According to a report from Automotive News, in most of Europe that will no longer be the case, as the existing Macan will be pulled from sale in the spring due to new cybersecurity rules.

Starting on July 1, the European Union is enacting new regulations to prevent cars from being hacked, with all new vehicle architectures required to have a specific cybersecurity certificate and electronics setup to protect against 70 different vulnerabilities, including during development and production of the vehicles.

The current Macan was developed before these regulations were finalized, and it would be too costly and difficult to update the car to adhere to the new rules. Additionally, Porsche would be fined up to €30,000 per vehicle that doesn’t meet the new standards, so it’s not surprising that it’s just pulling the Macan from sale instead.

Except of course for the EU Mandated back doors to track and disable the vehicle.

glhs837

Power with Control

PeoplesElbow

Well, crash tests are normally 35mph into a fixed barrier. And no vehicle I know of survives those. Offset fixed which simulate two vehicles hitting a portion of their front ends is done at 64mph.
Personally I'd never drive a totaled vehicle, but I have a friend that fixes vehicles that insurance companies total and sells them, they end up looking new.

I wouldn't expect anything cast to be repairable in the first place, no matter if it was designed to shatter or not.

glhs837

Power with Control
Personally I'd never drive a totaled vehicle, but I have a friend that fixes vehicles that insurance companies total and sells them, they end up looking new.

I wouldn't expect anything cast to be repairable in the first place, no matter if it was designed to shatter or not.
Yeah I'm aware that people take totals and cut and weld to make them drivable again. But man you'd never catch me doing that. You think of the work and engineering that goes into making these crumple structures and such no way Jim Bob with his f****** welder there's going to put that s*** back. So many things he might not even be aware of.

Now as for the casting, here's part of the problem with language. There's a huge difference between breaking and shattering. What the engineers explained was it. The casting is designed to break in a very predictable way. We're not talking about bottle hit with hammer. In fact, the first chunk of it is designed to break in such a way that you can cut behind the break and weld the new piece in. They've released parts catalog on the Tesla website so you can see how everything goes together and maybe I'm crazy, but it looks like you can replace virtually every part. Including the casting, but of course by the time you damage the casting you've hurt a lot of other stuff up front also.

PeoplesElbow

Yeah I'm aware that people take totals and cut and weld to make them drivable again. But man you'd never catch me doing that. You think of the work and engineering that goes into making these crumple structures and such no way Jim Bob with his f****** welder there's going to put that s*** back. So many things he might not even be aware of.

Now as for the casting, here's part of the problem with language. There's a huge difference between breaking and shattering. What the engineers explained was it. The casting is designed to break in a very predictable way. We're not talking about bottle hit with hammer. In fact, the first chunk of it is designed to break in such a way that you can cut behind the break and weld the new piece in. They've released parts catalog on the Tesla website so you can see how everything goes together and maybe I'm crazy, but it looks like you can replace virtually every part. Including the casting, but of course by the time you damage the casting you've hurt a lot of other stuff up front also.
My friend actually owns some sort of machine that straightens unibody vehicles that have been damaged.

PeoplesElbow

So here's the post that started it all. And here's an F-150 performing the same sort of test.

The thing I find most interesting is the rear wheels of the cyber truck never leaves the ground, you can see them slip as they drive the vehicle into the barrier. Every other crash video I've seen the car lifts off the ground. You may think this is bad, but one good thing about that is lifting of the vehicle helps spend some energy.

I really want to see accelerometer data from the CT crash testing, I bet you can make out when each break point fails with fast enough data.

glhs837

Power with Control
My friend actually owns some sort of machine that straightens unibody vehicles that have been damaged.

And manufacturers do allow some pulling back into shape. But I also know some places just go nuts.
The thing I find most interesting is the rear wheels of the cyber truck never leaves the ground, you can see them slip as they drive the vehicle into the barrier. Every other crash video I've seen the car lifts off the ground. You may think this is bad, but one good thing about that is lifting of the vehicle helps spend some energy.

I really want to see accelerometer data from the CT crash testing, I bet you can make out when each break point fails with fast enough data.

Thats all weight distribution. Big heavy engine way out front vs most of the mass being concentrated below the floor in an EV. And I would love to see it too, although they generally don't share information like that. They've done some stuff showing the internal crash lab that's pretty cool.
Tesla truck has no crumple structure
And you base that fact on?

The video I posted literally talks about how the cumple structure works in the Cybertruck. A different crumple structure doesn't mean no crumple structure. There is the front cross car beam, behind which are "crush cans", which in the CTs case are part of the huge casting, and can be cut out and replaced. Then the rest of the casting also is designed to break in a controlled manner after the crush cans as to perform the same role as the traditional crumple structure made out of a lot of individual pieces of mild and high strength steel.

Maybe the folks who do this, crash testing that's not required because they saw data showing that there was a common crash pattern not accounted for in the standard tests, maybe they designed and built a vehicle that wont protect the occupants as well, but I doubt that.