Electric Car News

DaSDGuy

And manufacturers do allow some pulling back into shape. But I also know some places just go nuts.

Thats all weight distribution. Big heavy engine way out front vs most of the mass being concentrated below the floor in an EV. And I would love to see it too, although they generally don't share information like that. They've done some stuff showing the internal crash lab that's pretty cool.

And you base that fact on?

The video I posted literally talks about how the cumple structure works in the Cybertruck. A different crumple structure doesn't mean no crumple structure. There is the front cross car beam, behind which are "crush cans", which in the CTs case are part of the huge casting, and can be cut out and replaced. Then the rest of the casting also is designed to break in a controlled manner after the crush cans as to perform the same role as the traditional crumple structure made out of a lot of individual pieces of mild and high strength steel.

Maybe the folks who do this, crash testing that's not required because they saw data showing that there was a common crash pattern not accounted for in the standard tests, maybe they designed and built a vehicle that wont protect the occupants as well, but I doubt that.

glhs837

Power with Control

Okay, video one, he does a pretty good job of refuting the BS put out by the experts.

1. There are like four different things about pedestrians. The US doesn't have any ped protection standards nor testing. This thing was designed to 1/2 ton truck standards, and none of those are held to EU pedpro standards.
2. Oh, the Jaws of Life will open it. The latching hardware is the same as everyone else, so the jaws will pull the doors open. and the cutters that currently go through the entire A-pillar of regular vehicles will cut this. And the windows should be no harder to get through than normal laminated glass, which is a feature on quite a few currently sold vehicles.
3. Note Toyota, who are considered pretty good at engineering, told the guy that Tesla was more advanced in casting that they are.
5. I'm amazed at the number of "experts" willing to make declarative statements without more knowledge.

Video two

Not sure what information this has, its just a repeat of the reveal videos :) Neither pro nor con, just videos.

Video three regurgitates the exact same experts as the reuters article discussed in the first video, without any actual analysis.

See, one reporter call or reads statements put out by experts operating with little to no data, collates those, and writes an article. Two videos are spawned, we wont count number two, as it has no information. Out of those two videos, one does a decent job of looking at the experts statements, and seeking relevant information about those. The other just regurgitates them.

Its the bane of the information age. People with limited information being repeated ad nauseum until the sheer amount of headlines and videos saying the same thing gets taken as gospel.

Personally, based on Teslas crash test record, I think the chances of this thing being less safe than the Model 3 or Model Y or Model X or S are really low. I mean its possible, but I'll need to see real numbers to believe that. And I've never run over anyone in my life nor do I plan to. And given Teslas pedestrian avoidance software always passes regulatory tests with flying colors, I cant see worrying about it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Screw pedestrians, I want big hood ornaments back, I miss my Gran Torino's semi pointy impaler and it's cow catcher bumper
mad max GIF

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Canada will require all new cars to be zero emissions vehicles by 2035

All new cars in Canada will have to be zero emissions by 2035, the government will announce next week when it unveils new vehicle regulations, the Star has learned.

But rather than being a way to force new technology on consumers, it’s being sold as a way to guarantee that people who want EVs will be able to get them more quickly.

The new regulations, called the Electric Vehicle Availability Standard, will shorten the lengthy wait times for EVs that have been dampening consumer demand, said a senior government official whom the Star agreed not to name because they were discussing policy that hadn’t been made public yet.

“This is helping to solve one of the greatest barriers to EVs uptake: that wait times are too long,” they said.

“We are making sure that supply is going toward Canadian markets, because one of the issues with EVs is that we're competing against other markets where the actual EVs are being shipped to.”

Despite reports earlier this year that EVs were languishing on dealer lots, actual sales numbers show there is a large and growing demand for electric cars and SUVs across Canada and around the world.

glhs837

Power with Control

Canada will require all new cars to be zero emissions vehicles by 2035

All new cars in Canada will have to be zero emissions by 2035, the government will announce next week when it unveils new vehicle regulations, the Star has learned.

But rather than being a way to force new technology on consumers, it’s being sold as a way to guarantee that people who want EVs will be able to get them more quickly.

The new regulations, called the Electric Vehicle Availability Standard, will shorten the lengthy wait times for EVs that have been dampening consumer demand, said a senior government official whom the Star agreed not to name because they were discussing policy that hadn’t been made public yet.

“This is helping to solve one of the greatest barriers to EVs uptake: that wait times are too long,” they said.

“We are making sure that supply is going toward Canadian markets, because one of the issues with EVs is that we're competing against other markets where the actual EVs are being shipped to.”

Despite reports earlier this year that EVs were languishing on dealer lots, actual sales numbers show there is a large and growing demand for electric cars and SUVs across Canada and around the world.

Idiots.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Make them more available, give people the opportunity to impulse buy so they don't have a chance to sit on a purchase and reconsider.

glhs837

Power with Control
Make them more available, give people the opportunity to impulse buy so they don't have a chance to sit on a purchase and reconsider.

Are you suggesting the dealership model? Gargantuanly wasteful, IMO. Of both resources and capital. Oh, and real estate. Are people really impulse buying cars?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Are you suggesting the dealership model? Gargantuanly wasteful, IMO. Of both resources and capital. Oh, and real estate. Are people really impulse buying cars?
I wasn't suggesting anything other than availability. How it happens, :sshrug:

And yes, there are many impulse buyers out there.

Cars​

One of the most common impulse buys is a new car. Katie Roberts, consumer analyst with DealNews.com, said it can be tempting to browse through shiny, new vehicles at a car dealership and want to bring one home with you.