Father reports son to police...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Throughout this thread it seems that the fact that juvenile records are typically ordered "sealed" by the judge once certain conditions are met (successfully meeting all terms of probation being one of those) has not been mentioned.

I think that a registered sex offender tag is forever, but I could be wrong about that.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I'm sorry.. if a boy finds a woman's body sexy and intriguing, that I think is normal.. Now if he wants to go beat those women to death with a hammer? THAT would be deviant...

Or at least hint there may be a nascent problem developing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If there are specific exceptions to juvenile criminal records (like for sex offenses..) I'm not aware of them.

http://www.jlc.org/current-initiatives/promoting-fairness-courts/juvenile-sex-offender-registration

Worth reading the whole thing, if you're interested. There's a lot more to juvenile sex offender registry than I thought.

But again, I don't know this kid. Maybe he's a little ####bag who needs to be thrown in a pen and butt raped by Bubba and Tyrone. Maybe strapping him to the chair will mean one less future rapist and child abductor. Who knows. My initial take, however, is that he's a dip#### teen boy who did something stupid without thinking and overly harsh punishment is inappropriate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Brings up an interesting question and how it relates to each state. If you are convicted of a sex offense as a Juvenile, does the tag stay with you forever, or does it go away when you turn 21?

Well, the article I posted above brings up an interesting point:

As a registered sex offender, they are required to let your neighbors know about you (figurative you, not you you). You will also be famous on assorted public records websites. So I'ma call that one forever.

Then again, if he posted these women's videos on the internet, that's forever as well.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Examples? or are you just spitballing?

Juvenile records are never "sealed" unless they are actually expunged.

I've never been to a single courthouse, when I needed court records, that didn't willingly hand over any and all Juvenile records..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wow. Big changes were put in place in 2006. So juvenile sex offenders ARE treated differently than juveniles that commit other offenses.

That, and they have an extremely broad brush when it comes to labeling someone a "sex offender". I mean, peeing in public? Really?

Yes, parents, if your 8 year old child is caught taking a whiz in the bushes, he will be arrested and registered as a sex offender.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Juvenile records are never "sealed" unless they are actually expunged.

I've never been to a single courthouse, when I needed court records, that didn't willingly hand over any and all Juvenile records..

That's interesting...while that may happen, it is not "supposed to". A description of Maryland's system from a lawyer's perspective (Maryland is one of those "most states"..supposedly...):

In most states sealing records prevents the majority of people from accessing the official information, while expunging public records usually means they are destroyed and the incident regarded as if it never happened. Under Maryland law, however, expunging a record does not result in the document's destruction, though it remains hidden from public purview. The information would not show up during most background checks potential employers routinely perform, and individuals legally can answer "none" or refuse to answer when queried about arrests.

However, there is no guarantee that information never will be revealed—various Maryland agencies maintain individual databases, and it is not unheard of for one to inadvertently leave records in the system. Also, one request will not necessarily expunge both court and police records—cases sometimes require separate petitions.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That, and they have an extremely broad brush when it comes to labeling someone a "sex offender". I mean, peeing in public? Really?

Yes, parents, if your 8 year old child is caught taking a whiz in the bushes, he will be arrested and registered as a sex offender.

Sure puts this tread subject in a different light. I'm generally a "if they [juvenile] commit a crime then they suffer the legal consequences" but that view was tempered by the knowledge that they would never be required to reveal that fact when adult.

justiceforall

Not sure I'd make myself an accessory to a felony, son or not, but one thing is for sure: it is never a good idea to talk to the police. Period. It can never help you, and might hurt you. The risk is not worth it.

That's not true at all. I can think of numerous occassions where someone has accused another of a crime, but after speaking with the accused the crime was either unfounded or no charges were brought forth due to the information obtained by the accused. If the accused had not spoken to me, he would have been charged based on the statement of the "Witness" or complainant.

justiceforall

I certainly do not believe that it should be swept under the rug. There should be punishment, I am just not sure the punishment of having a record to carry for the rest of his life is a punishment that fits the crime.
I don't know if being a sex offender is something that a juvenile carries through adulthood or not.
Might like to know it before I turned him in if that was my decision.

Perhaps your statement that he is only 15 and will outgrow it is true.
Should he then carry this record for life?

By the way do you have a son?

Rest of his life? How do you figure?