First Day of School

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm for all kinds of testing. I'm a programmer, but my job for years is processing MILLIONS of records all day long.
Among other things, I do networking. Networking where speed and reliability matter.
I understand that technology.
I also witnessed what we went through and still go through everyday with the network.
There are days when the network is so slow, you can't log into site because the latency is so long the security times you out.
Packets get dropped, connections get dropped, and that's not from home where you have to factor in the local ISP.
I don't have faith in Atlantic Broadband that it can provide all the bandwidth that will be needed.
I don't care if you use Zoom, Google, Skype or Webex. It takes bandwidth to process audio & video and particularly when it's all day long.
Then there is what the school system has set up for servers and the number of students it can handle at one time.
Again, NMCI had to open new sites, expend others, to add hardware (and software) to handle all the external users.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
When I was in college in the 90s a very expensive calculator was advertised in the school news paper, the students looking for a shortcut went out and bought one, most usually failed out because they thought they could use it to cheat with and never bothered actually learning how to solve problems.

I was there with my trusty TI calculator with no graphing function. Other students had programmable graphing calculators that they could program in the needed equations and recall them easy for a test. I had to rely on memory and worked it out on paper.

PeoplesElbow

I was there with my trusty TI calculator with no graphing function. Other students had programmable graphing calculators that they could program in the needed equations and recall them easy for a test. I had to rely on memory and worked it out on paper.

HP 48GX was it, you should have heard the sighs on my first physics test. The prof said he would give us every equation we needed, there was a single sheet attached with one equation in the biggest font that would fit, F=ma

KingFish

Nothing to see here
HP 48GX was it, you should have heard the sighs on my first physics test. The prof said he would give us every equation we needed, there was a single sheet attached with one equation in the biggest font that would fit, F=ma
HP calculators were reversed polish to me.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
My FIL still has his slide rule from his time @UMD then his time with the early early days of the E2.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
HP calculators were reversed polish to me.

I See What You Did There .... my dad had 2 of those ... [Computer Engineer - programing on the big iron]

the HP-35 then I think the HP-45

$ 400 calculators in 1976 dollars

The HP-45 is the second scientific pocket calculator introduced by Hewlett-Packard, adding to the features of the HP-35. It was introduced in 1973[1] with an MSRP of US$395[2] (equivalent to $2,275 in 2019).[3] Especially noteworthy was its pioneering addition of a shift key that gave other keys alternate functions.

The calculator was code-named Wizard,[4] which is the first known use of a code name for a calculator.

It also contained an Easter egg that allowed users to access a not-especially accurate stopwatch mode.[5] An accurate version of the stopwatch mode was officially featured in the 1975 successor of the HP-45, the HP-55.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My first was a Bowmar Brain I bought when I went to college in the fall of 1975.
Got it used, was a 1974 model, for $35 at the school store.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have to say that I think Calvert Co landed on a winner with how they are doing things this go-around. Youngest is doing so much better. At this point, I am not that worried about if/when they will get to go in person.

Instead of having to be up at 0530 for school, he gets up at 0730. He has plenty of chances to see his friends between ROTC events they are doing and just hanging out with them.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well, engineers are supposed to learn how to solve problems that haven't been solved before by turning them into a problem that they can solve.
Engineering is the application of science to produce a product to provide a required capability (service).
It's not to "solve" a problem or turn something into a problem.
To put it into DoD terminology, the consumer sees the need for something. You can refer to that as maybe solving their problem.
But the engineer doesn't create a problem, they analyze the request and determine what the user is really asking for, i.e. we develop a set of requirements, that when met would result in the solution the consumer is looking for.

The second part of this is what differentiates engineers from scientists, scientists can look at things, components, and determine if there is something new that can be tried. New technologies, but the engineer isn't supposed to invent a new technology, but rather use the best technology available to address the requirement. In short, the engineer has to deal with the practical side, while the scientist can deal in theory.
There is no shame in not reinventing the wheel. In fact, for cost and time, it's often preferred that you not reinvent the wheel.
As for the "pricks", there is something to be said for experience. Learn from the mistakes of the past, don't repeat them. Principles of science don't change. Sometimes the prick is telling you, Been there, Done that, please look at these common mistakes first.

When it comes to software, the difference between and engineer and a programmer is not just semantics.
Again, engineers think in terms of what is required. Not what tools they currently have in the box.
Programmers are all about the tools in their box, they have their expertise and what you find is that is their preferred method to address every problem even if it doesn't meet the requirement. They define the solution before they actually define the requirements.

This is why we see so many problems with systems that are heavily dependent on software.

So I don't know how we got here, but in terms of the schools, my opinion is they are driven by their IT department
Emphasis on their. This is a much broader issue. At some point the schools step into the commercial world for the broadband connectivity.
They are going through the same internet the rest of us use. Did they work with their ISP to ensure they had the resources upstream to handle the additional bandwidth. Moving from a bulletin board / simple file upload / download to a more complex interactive environment, with many more people trying to simultaneously use the resources isn't simple.

PeoplesElbow

Engineering is the application of science to produce a product to provide a required capability (service).
It's not to "solve" a problem or turn something into a problem.
To put it into DoD terminology, the consumer sees the need for something. You can refer to that as maybe solving their problem.
But the engineer doesn't create a problem, they analyze the request and determine what the user is really asking for, i.e. we develop a set of requirements, that when met would result in the solution the consumer is looking for.

The second part of this is what differentiates engineers from scientists, scientists can look at things, components, and determine if there is something new that can be tried. New technologies, but the engineer isn't supposed to invent a new technology, but rather use the best technology available to address the requirement. In short, the engineer has to deal with the practical side, while the scientist can deal in theory.
There is no shame in not reinventing the wheel. In fact, for cost and time, it's often preferred that you not reinvent the wheel.
As for the "pricks", there is something to be said for experience. Learn from the mistakes of the past, don't repeat them. Principles of science don't change. Sometimes the prick is telling you, Been there, Done that, please look at these common mistakes first.

When it comes to software, the difference between and engineer and a programmer is not just semantics.
Again, engineers think in terms of what is required. Not what tools they currently have in the box.
Programmers are all about the tools in their box, they have their expertise and what you find is that is their preferred method to address every problem even if it doesn't meet the requirement. They define the solution before they actually define the requirements.

Your definition is not correct, it make it sounds like an engineer can't innovate and create a need for something new, that they have to have a request from some manager.

I never said engineers (are supposed to) create problems, I said they take a problem that is not solvable and turn it into one that is (approximate solution). For example how much weight a simply supported 2x4 can handle is commonly known, doesn't take an engineer to do this problem again. An engineer can take a statically indeterminate load problem and break it up into several problems that allows it to be solved.

An engineer can also take a fairly new technology and decide that it can be adapted to something the scientists never thought of or nobody asked for, that does not fit your definition. Something along the lines of thinking hmmm "I can use the doppler shift off of laser light in a flow field to make non-intrusive wind tunnel measurements."

My comment about engineers solving problems that haven't been solved before was meant as if something is already documented in a book somewhere anyone who can reasonably follow directions can redo the original work. ie knowing how much weight you can place on roofing trusses spaced 24 inches apart.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Are the kiddies heading back to "real" school shortly? The kindergarten bus was making a practice run through the neighborhood just now.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
So... now that the first quarter is over, how did everyone's kids do? All the snags get fixed with connection, etc? Are the kids who slacked last year doing better this year? I still like how Calvert is doing their school day this year, especially now that they've switched the "free day" from Wednesday to Fridays. No issues with logging on at my house and youngest probably enjoys seeing people again. :lol: With having online learning more like regular school, son is keeping up on assignments and made the Honor Roll like he had always done in the past. Thank goodness, last year's 4th quarter problems are a distant memory.

kom526

My youngest is doing ok, he managed 3 a's and 2 b's but he is frustrated with not being in the classroom. He hates when the assclown kids in his class leave their mics on and decide that it's funtime.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My youngest is doing ok, he managed 3 a's and 2 b's but he is frustrated with not being in the classroom. He hates when the assclown kids in his class leave their mics on and decide that it's funtime.
Mine hasn't said anything about that happening during his classes but it wouldn't be a surprise if it did.

My son got all A's and one B. His Physics teacher must have gotten a ration of crap after Interim reports. She wasn't grading anyone's work and then gave people 50% for interim grades. I found out a few parents reached out to her and grade advisors before interims and was inquiring why grades weren't posted. Teacher gave them excuses and blamed the kids even though parents sent back screenshots of completed work on time. After interims, I noticed that assignments were being graded in a timely manner so that is why she got talked to by Admin or something.

kom526

Mine hasn't said anything about that happening during his classes but it wouldn't be a surprise if it did.

My son got all A's and one B. His Physics teacher must have gotten a ration of crap after Interim reports. She wasn't grading anyone's work and then gave people 50% for interim grades. I found out a few parents reached out to her and grade advisors before interims and was inquiring why grades weren't posted. Teacher gave them excuses and blamed the kids even though parents sent back screenshots of completed work on time. After interims, I noticed that assignments were being graded in a timely manner so that is why she got talked to by Admin or something.
His teachers have been very helpful and understanding, especially since they are also getting used to this system. However, in talking with a friend from NoVA, he is getting concerned with his kid's mental health. They are both spectacular soccer and basketball players and they've had that taken away from them and the restrictions in their county are just a step or two above a prison. I mean neighbors will call the cops on kids being outside playing with other kids.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
His teachers have been very helpful and understanding, especially since they are also getting used to this system. However, in talking with a friend from NoVA, he is getting concerned with his kid's mental health. They are both spectacular soccer and basketball players and they've had that taken away from them and the restrictions in their county are just a step or two above a prison. I mean neighbors will call the cops on kids being outside playing with other kids.
that's awful!

I agree on the mental health thing. My kiddo is mostly an independent introvert but definitely enjoyed in-person school and some outside fun with a few neighborhood kids. He's really struggling lately and spends far too much time alone - not much can be helped with that though. The few kids here close to his age aren't allowed to play with anyone outside the family since March. when I actually have to work in the office, upon returning he follows me around like a lost puppy. It breaks my heart because he is just bored and lonely. He does ok with the virtual learning, but like any typical 13 yo, you have to keep up with him on it and nudge him from time to time. Some classes lend well to being taught online better than others too. He has no problems with Math or Spanish, but we just got a personal email from the art teacher asking where ALL oif his 2nd Q work is :doh:

I'll just say his older brother is very lucky to have graduated: he would never have even bothered to show up for virtual learning.