First Day of School

PeoplesElbow

This is one of those reminders that all elections are local, and that your vote counts:
I listened to the CalvCo BOE meeting several weeks ago. 85% of polled parents wanted to re-open.
BOE was going to reopen. Then one member shut it all down. She was condescending, aggressive, and mean. She brow-beat all the others into reversing. Not like others had no power , it just sounded like they were gutless cowards and let her. So, if your kid is stuck at home dealing with this CF, you have one person to blame. Remember that at the voting booth next time.
That is on the other members as much as it is on her.

Bonehead

This is one of those reminders that all elections are local, and that your vote counts:
I listened to the CalvCo BOE meeting several weeks ago. 85% of polled parents wanted to re-open.
BOE was going to reopen. Then one member shut it all down. She was condescending, aggressive, and mean. She brow-beat all the others into reversing. Not like others had no power , it just sounded like they were gutless cowards and let her. So, if your kid is stuck at home dealing with this CF, you have one person to blame. Remember that at the voting booth next time.
Actually my son is a middle school special education teacher. His wife is a vet (doctor) He has two 4 year olds at home (actually with my wife and I) so I am seeing this from his perspective. It has not been pretty.

UglyBear

Actually my son is a middle school special education teacher. His wife is a vet (doctor) He has two 4 year olds at home (actually with my wife and I) so I am seeing this from his perspective. It has not been pretty.
Could you please share some insights into this? Are the teachers in general for reopening, or this suits them just fine?
Was the BOE decision tied to the reasoning of the unions, being much more political and saying “F U” to kids and parents just to screw with Trump?

Bonehead

There is no consensus on reopening from the teachers. The union was opposed. I don't know the BOE political stance but I doubt is was a FU to the students. People in education tend to place the students first, this has been my experience at the teacher level. But there are exceptions.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Could you please share some insights into this? Are the teachers in general for reopening, or this suits them just fine?
Was the BOE decision tied to the reasoning of the unions, being much more political and saying “F U” to kids and parents just to screw with Trump?
I can take this one as well, my LW is teaches kindergarten. The schoology platform that is being used in St. Mary's was basically dropped in the teacher's laps less than a month ago, with no real guidance on how to implement it. She and others have had to learn the software through trial/error/online tutorials and I think a total of one "in service" on it. There are older teachers in the system that aren't as technically savvy as some of the younger ones may be and they are definitely behind the curve.

All that being said, she would much rather be in the classroom in front of the kids, especially after hearing about the testing protocols that basically made everybody show as positive.

kom526

How are earth are they managing to teach? My son got an email from the paraprofessional that he had in high school. He told Joe they're finally back in school. What role would a para play now?
Paras are still school system employees.

UglyBear

I can take this one as well, my LW is teaches kindergarten. The schoology platform that is being used in St. Mary's was basically dropped in the teacher's laps less than a month ago, with no real guidance on how to implement it. She and others have had to learn the software through trial/error/online tutorials and I think a total of one "in service" on it. There are older teachers in the system that aren't as technically savvy as some of the younger ones may be and they are definitely behind the curve.

All that being said, she would much rather be in the classroom in front of the kids, especially after hearing about the testing protocols that basically made everybody show as positive.
Please forgive my rantings, I’m just a father so filled with rage I can barely function.
My oldest was supposed to start K this year — I have done everything I could to make it perfect. We planned, years in advance, housing to endure her attendance in the best school district we could afford. We set up everything for this year. I hand-built her a desk and chair (of course bright pink!) with carvings of her favorite characters.
she was looking forward to meeting all new friends, and having a teacher like your wife, @kom526 .
And now she’ll be sitting in front of a laptop for 4 hrs a day. And there’s few things I can do about it.

kom526

@UglyBear
The majority of the teachers are no more thrilled than you are. My wife said that she is worried about the value of an online education for the primary grades in regards to IEP, speech and socialization. Hopefully we will be able to put the return plan that Dr. Smith put forward a few weeks ago into effect. He proposed sending K, 6th graders and HS freshmen back first to get a feel for the new school that they are attending, then having the rest of the student body return several weeks later.
My nieces and nephew in NJ (!) are in the classroom for 1/2 day 4 days a week with the second half of those days and every Friday as virtual learning. My oldest niece is still practicing with her HS and ODP soccer teams and PA high schools are having full fall sports seasons. (or at least they were 2 weeks ago). Hogan stepped on his crank again by announcing the reopening of schools 4 days before the scheduled return date. My wife and some her colleagues saw that move as a power play against Montgomery, Howard, PG and Anne Arundel counties for not following his and the state secretary's requirement of filing return to class plans.

DQ2B

And what a cluster f it is - not one of my kids can get in. The smartest thing they all did? Reset everyone's passwords from last spring - and didn't tell us - and disabled the ability to RESET them. An hour into school and not one of my kids can get into the three DIFFERENT schools they go to.
Mine goes to Chopticon, we were notified

TPD

the poor dad
Please forgive my rantings, I’m just a father so filled with rage I can barely function.
My oldest was supposed to start K this year — I have done everything I could to make it perfect. We planned, years in advance, housing to endure her attendance in the best school district we could afford. We set up everything for this year. I hand-built her a desk and chair (of course bright pink!) with carvings of her favorite characters.
she was looking forward to meeting all new friends, and having a teacher like your wife, @kom526 .
And now she’ll be sitting in front of a laptop for 4 hrs a day. And there’s few things I can do about it.

Your rage with the school system is similar to my rage with the health department. I feel it and I'm right there with ya. If my kid was still in school, I would be filling the BOE email and vm system. They would know my name.

Had a discussion this morning with a WORKING (not tele) parent who has a child with IEP who is upset over this whole mess. She is trying to keep her kids on the right path and get them the help they need but she is helpless at this point with no in-person school or meetings. We will have kids entering the workforce years from now that will not be prepared because of this manufactured crisis.

DQ2B

We're two for three. Three different schools, all SMCPS, Leonardtown School District.

Would have been nice if they explained what Synchronized and UnSynchronized learning was and how the schedule was gonna work a little ahead of time.

Been one hell of a frustrating morning.
Mine goes to Chopticon. The Braves bulletin had info and links that explained Synchronized/ vs. non

Natron0915

I suppose its possible that it was explained in one of the 50+ emails (between all the kids) that I've received and I missed it.

Your rage with the school system is similar to my rage with the health department. I feel it and I'm right there with ya. If my kid was still in school, I would be filling the BOE email and vm system. They would know my name.

Had a discussion this morning with a WORKING (not tele) parent who has a child with IEP who is upset over this whole mess. She is trying to keep her kids on the right path and get them the help they need but she is helpless at this point with no in-person school or meetings. We will have kids entering the workforce years from now that will not be prepared because of this manufactured crisis.
My granddaughter has an IEP and this mess is gonna put her further behind than she already is. Home schooling is looking more and more as an option.

DaSDGuy

That has been the status quo for kids born after 1985.
That depends on the work ethic the kid gets at home. Mine are doing fine because they want to do the best they can without having a hand stuck out for freebies. I practically have to force them to take gifts.