Flood Tide tomorrow 10/29

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Only for another few hours, but St. Georges Island was called out specifically...

Coastal Flood Advisory
Issued: 10:03 PM Oct. 31, 2021 – National Weather Service
...COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EDT MONDAY...

* WHAT...Up to one half foot of inundation above ground level in
low lying areas due to tidal flooding.

* WHERE...Shoreline in St. Marys County.

* WHEN...Until 1 AM EDT Monday, especially around the time of
high tide.

* IMPACTS...At 3.0 feet, yards are flooded on Saint George
Island, and water will begin covering the road leading to the
island, especially if there is wave action.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Tides one and a half to two feet above
normal. The next high tide at Point Lookout is at 10:30 PM. The
next high tide at Piney Point is at 11:35 PM. The next high tide
at Coltons Point is at 12:11 AM.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If travel is required, allow extra time as some roads may be
closed. Do not drive around barricades or through water of
unknown depth. Take the necessary actions to protect flood-prone
property.

&&

Time of high total tides are approximate to the nearest hour.

St Marys River at Straits Point
MLLW Categories - Minor 3.0 ft, Moderate 3.5 ft, Major 5.0 ft
MHHW Categories - Minor 1.4 ft, Moderate 1.9 ft, Major 3.4 ft

Total Total Departure
Day/Time Tide Tide from Norm Waves Flood
ft MLLW ft MHHW ft ft Impact
-------- --------- --------- --------- ------- --------
31/11 PM 3.0 1.4 1.6 1 Minor
01/12 PM 2.9 1.3 1.4 1 None
02/12 AM 2.7 1.1 1.2 0 None
02/01 PM 2.8 1.2 1.2 0 None
03/01 AM 2.6 1.0 1.1 0-1 None
03/02 PM 2.8 1.2 1.1 1 None

black dog

Free America
Really appreciate the offers of help! Will circle back after we know when we're gonna tackle this mess.

Found a weird coinkydink....we had an extreme high tide event over this same weekend exactly one year ago.

Good Luck, hopefully its minimal damage...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
When I passed this morning, look like one of seabreeze piers took a hard-hit.

ontheriver

Claim denied because the adjuster didn't see any damage. When I asked him to view the photos again, he flipped it to not covered because the damage was caused by rising water and the WIND was NOT a contributing factor.

I decided to shop for another carrier and have been told that insurance companies "are moving away from insuring coastal properties". WTF

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Update: Liberty Mutual does NOT rock. Claim denied.

I was wondering how you'd make out...because in all my years of owning waterfront property, commercial and residential both, I could never get coverage for any structures that extended past the shoreline. When I owned Swann's, that meant no coverage - not one penny - for destroyed sections of seawall, completely demolished pier with gas and diesel pumps and lines gone, and the over-the-water bar nearly lost. (Hurricane Fran, 1996). When my island pier was damaged in '03 and again in '06, it was all out of pocket to repair it. :( I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully claimed pier damage against their homeowner's or flood policies.

Several of my neighbors had pier damage; Boothe's came through a week ago and knocked out all the repairs in a day..and added two pilings off the end of mine for my new duck blind. :yahoo:

Related story: About 3 years ago, we were notified that our extensive liability and building coverage for the island club in 7D was being cancelled. No explanation other than a simple "no longer underwriting policies for that kind of property". It was a real scramble to find an insurer that would cover it.

ontheriver

I was wondering how you'd make out...because in all my years of owning waterfront property, commercial and residential both, I could never get coverage for any structures that extended past the shoreline. When I owned Swann's, that meant no coverage - not one penny - for destroyed sections of seawall, completely demolished pier with gas and diesel pumps and lines gone, and the over-the-water bar nearly lost. (Hurricane Fran, 1996). When my island pier was damaged in '03 and again in '06, it was all out of pocket to repair them. :(

Several of my neighbors had pier damage; Boothe's came through a week ago and knocked out all the repairs in a day..and added two pilings off the end of mine for my new duck blind. :yahoo:

I have called six marine businesses (including Boothe's), most had mailboxes full, only one answered saying no new customers till spring. One is supposed to come by to give an estimate.

Either way I will repair it, even if I have to get out there myself.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have called six marine businesses (including Boothe's), most had mailboxes full, only one answered saying no new customers till spring. One is supposed to come by to give an estimate.

Either way I will repair it, even if I have to get out there myself.

I didn't even know there were still six marine construction companies operating these days. I count four off the top of my head: Boothes, Colliflower & Peterson (now owned by Rasco, Inc), Tim Beckwith's former company (Randy's Pier and Seawall) and Jim Gunn. I don't know anything about the current status of Randy's, but I do know that the other three are backed up for about ever. The only way we got Boothe's to work on our piers here on St. Georges on such short notice was a combination of being good friends with the owner, and the fact that they were moving equipment through our area, going from one big job to another. Mostly the latter....LOL.

ontheriver

I didn't even know there were still six marine construction companies operating these days. I count four off the top of my head: Boothes, Colliflower & Peterson (now owned by Rasco, Inc), Tim Beckwith's former company (Randy's Pier and Seawall) and Jim Gunn. I don't know anything about the current status of Randy's, but I do know that the other three are backed up for about ever. The only way we got Boothe's to work on our piers here on St. Georges on such short notice was a combination of being good friends with the owner, and the fact that they were moving equipment through our area, going from one big job to another. Mostly the latter....LOL.

Should I try Boothe's again?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Should I try Boothe's again?
Is your property relatively close to Dennis Point Marina? I know TJ is booked solid through next year but sometimes he'll squeeze in a smaller job if it's "on the way" from one location to another. They are currently replacing the smaller of the two travel lift docks at Dennis Point. I have no idea where the barges are headed after that.

ontheriver

Is your property relatively close to Dennis Point Marina? I know TJ is booked solid through next year but sometimes he'll squeeze in a smaller job if it's "on the way" from one location to another. They are currently replacing the smaller of the two travel lift docks at Dennis Point. I have no idea where the barges are headed after that.
I'm on the Patuxent.