Greg Best Clinic June 17th and 18th in VA

S

saddlesore

Labs4Me said:
He's not as uptight about everything the way some clinicians can be. You actually get to enjoy yourself because it's a more casual atmosphere. Whenever he explained something he had this way of being really descriptive with his examples. He'd make you try things in lots of different ways so that you were definitely understanding and feeling what he was describing. You couldn't just nod your head and pretend you got it. The clinic I was in had one girl in it who was really having a hard time with her horse and probably shouldn't have been doing that clinic at all but he was great about giving her some other things to try while we did some of the courses he set up (which were crazy and so much fun!). It seemed like everyone got alot out of it because he made sure he addressed every issue you were having. He also was able to modify things so that is was easier for those that were intimidated or not as experienced but still very challenging for those that wanted to be pushed. I know that's kind of a vague answer...hope it helps!

He sounds like a good and professional clinician, one that gives everyone a chance to take something away with them. It's good to get clinic reports like this. Some clinicians I might prefer to audit, but based on your description I'd definitely ride with him.
thankx :flowers:

Labs4Me

saddlesore said:
He sounds like a good and professional clinician, one that gives everyone a chance to take something away with them. It's good to get clinic reports like this. Some clinicians I might prefer to audit, but based on your description I'd definitely ride with him.
thankx :flowers:
Yeah, the more I remember about the clinic I rode in the more I wish I could ride in the clinic this June!! I definitely think you'll enjoy riding in it. Although, he actually was great for the people that were auditing too. I've been to some clinics where the auditors were basically ignored. They'd obviously learn from observing the clinic but they wouldn't get as much out of it as the riders would. Greg however really gives a clinic that's beneficial for both the riders and the auditors. He would go over where the auditors were seated quite a bit and ask if everyone was clear on what he was asking the riders to do and why. He also used the riders as examples to help demonstrate some of his answers to the auditor's questions. Hopefully he's still a great clinician since it was awhile back that I rode with him!!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
fredsaid2 said:
or "shut the ......"
Yes. I second that. I may have to take a break until things settle back down to boring. Things have gotten quite out of control, and I know I haven't helped any. I am trying to stop being immature, but sometimes it is too easy and too much fun. :howdy:

S

saddlesore

Labs4Me said:
Yeah, the more I remember about the clinic I rode in the more I wish I could ride in the clinic this June!! I definitely think you'll enjoy riding in it. Although, he actually was great for the people that were auditing too. I've been to some clinics where the auditors were basically ignored. They'd obviously learn from observing the clinic but they wouldn't get as much out of it as the riders would. Greg however really gives a clinic that's beneficial for both the riders and the auditors. He would go over where the auditors were seated quite a bit and ask if everyone was clear on what he was asking the riders to do and why. He also used the riders as examples to help demonstrate some of his answers to the auditor's questions. Hopefully he's still a great clinician since it was awhile back that I rode with him!!

Yeah (nodding),I hear ya about the auditors at some clinics. I still come away with pages of notes regardless, but it is nice when the clinician includes the auditors. Some even take questions from them.

Why won't you be able to ride in this one?
:howdy:

Labs4Me

saddlesore said:
Yeah (nodding),I hear ya about the auditors at some clinics. I still come away with pages of notes regardless, but it is nice when the clinician includes the auditors. Some even take questions from them.

Why won't you be able to ride in this one?
:howdy:
I can't ride in this one because my mare (the one in my avatar) has been having some lameness issues from an old injury (broken splint bone that required surgery). She's not that off but bad enough that I don't think she'd do well in an intensive clinic with that much jumping. I wouldn't want to push her. My other mare (the daughter of the mare in my avatar) is 4 so she's just not ready. Hopefully I can take her the next time he comes around!! She's a great jumper and very athletic but obviously quite green since I started her a bit late.

K

KizerSoSay

Sadielady said:
Yes. I second that. I may have to take a break until things settle back down to boring. Things have gotten quite out of control, and I know I haven't helped any. I am trying to stop being immature, but sometimes it is too easy and too much fun. :howdy:
Santagatago thinks it's funny that you are running away :elaine:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I am not running, I am just trying to refrain from comment, which as everyone knows is difficult for me. :razz:

S

saddlesore

Labs4Me said:
I can't ride in this one because my mare (the one in my avatar) has been having some lameness issues from an old injury (broken splint bone that required surgery). She's not that off but bad enough that I don't think she'd do well in an intensive clinic with that much jumping. I wouldn't want to push her. My other mare (the daughter of the mare in my avatar) is 4 so she's just not ready. Hopefully I can take her the next time he comes around!! She's a great jumper and very athletic but obviously quite green since I started her a bit late.

Good on you for putting your mare's health first. Unfortunately not everyone does that :-(
I don't think 4 is too late to start a jumper . . . .

S

saddlesore

Sadielady said:
I am not running, I am just trying to refrain from comment, which as everyone knows is difficult for me. :razz:

Hey, I like reading your comments! :gossip:

K

KizerSoSay

saddlesore said:
Good on you for putting your mare's health first. Unfortunately not everyone does that :-(
I don't think 4 is too late to start a jumper . . . .
Why do you people say 'hunter' one time and 'jumper' the next? Are you confused or is there some difference??

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
KizerSoSay said:
Why do you people say 'hunter' one time and 'jumper' the next? Are you confused or is there some difference??
I think it depends on the context in which it is used. I may say that a horse is a nice "jumper" when I am referring to the way a horse's form looks over a fence, but not meaning that the horse will be a "jumper" as far as competition for speed. When I am referring to a "hunter" I am usually talking about the qualities that make a horse overall successful in the hunter show ring including: way of going, form over fences, disposition etc. Many organizations are hunter/jumper associations (at least where I am from), and I get used to saying them both together. When I am talking to non-horsy people I always use both terms together because at least they know I am talking about horse shows and not "killing animal (hunter)" shows. It saves me time in explaining....

lsantagata79

Sadielady said:

No...you're definately starting to run...you've taken off your boots & put your sneakers on...:eyebrow:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Labs4Me said:

Greg Best has clinic dates in Baltimore @ Garrison Forest School for June 07' and August 07'. Apparently he comes to Baltimore, MD at least once or twice a year. I'm also almost positive George Morris will be coming to Westminster, MD for a clinic in the Fall. Would also like to catch Frank Madden's clinic if he comes to the area. Man I could just go on and on.

S

saddlesore

KizerSoSay said:

As Sadie said, there are combined hunter & jumper organizations, so you'll often see it as H/J. But they are very different disciplines:
"Hunters" is derived from foxhunting. So you're looking for a nice, easy canter w/ a good rhythm. A quiet, 'mannerly' horse is important: judges look for a horse that is pleasant to ride. Jumps are spaced at fairly even intervals.

"Jumpers" go more at a hand gallop, and have some jumps spaced close together (combinations), oxers, and walls. The horse needs to be able to change speed quickly and make sharp turns, and constantly adjust its stride. So the judge looks for boldness, power and speed. The courses are more complex and technical.

Did I put you to sleep? :snooze:

S

saddlesore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielady
I am not running, I am just trying to refrain from comment, which as everyone knows is difficult for me.

lsantagata79 said:
No...you're definately starting to run...you've taken off your boots & put your sneakers on...:eyebrow:

How do you know - are you with her right now? Are you a couple, or do you just ride together, or do you work together? I'm just wondering, since it's 10:30 at night, and as Kiz pointed out, you do seem to defend Sadie and admire her, which is nice :huggy: