Gun Control Laws And Opposition

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Loved it, Bethesda and Annapolis.
Best part for the kids was the patch table.
Wow...memories. I had a huge patch collection. Now I'm wondering what happened to it....LOL

I was "cool" in middle school. I'd appropriated the old man's USMC heavy shirt/jacket he brought back from his Korean War service and cut the sleeves off it. Had all manner of military patches sewn on all over it, front and back. Wore a POW bracelet band too. We were in the middle of the Vietnam War and that's what the cool kids did where I grew up. LMAO.... I don't know what happened to that jacket either.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Does California's Latest Mass Shooting Show the Country's Strictest Gun Laws Are Not Strict Enough?

Police said more than 100 rounds were fired by multiple people during the Sacramento shooting. One of the weapons, they said, was a handgun that had been illegally modified so that it qualifies as a "machine gun" under California law, meaning a weapon that "shoots, is designed to shoot, or can readily be restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger." California prohibits possession of such firearms without a special, rarely issued permit, and they are strictly regulated under federal law, which has banned sales of newly produced machine guns to civilians since 1986.

What about requiring "background checks on all gun sales"? California has required "universal background checks," covering private transfers as well as sales by federally licensed dealers, since 1991. A 2019 study found that requirement "was not associated with a net change in the firearm homicide rate over the ensuing 10 years in California." Another study suggested that such requirements are widely disregarded, finding that background checks increased when Delaware enacted a law like California's but not when Colorado and Washington did.

The problem, according to Everytown for Gun Safety, is that many states do not mandate universal background checks, which is why we need a federal law imposing that requirement on the entire country. But there is little reason to think that people will be more inclined to follow this requirement, which in practice means that all gun transfers have to be mediated by a federally licensed dealer, simply because Congress joins California et al. in saying they should. More to the point, it is hard to see how such a requirement is relevant to what happened in Sacramento.

The converted handgun that police recovered after the shooting was stolen, which is not the sort of transfer that would be affected even by perfect compliance with a law requiring "background checks on all gun sales." According to a 2019 study by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, just 10 percent of guns used in crimes were obtained from a "retail source" such as a gun store, a pawn shop, a flea market, or a gun show. Nine out of 10 were obtained from informal sources, including friends or relatives, the "underground market," and theft.

It makes sense that criminals would prefer such sources, especially if they have felony records that disqualify them from legally possessing firearms. But given these longstanding workarounds, expanding background-check requirements so that they notionally cover all transfers cannot reasonably be expected to have a significant impact on criminals' access to guns.

black dog

Free America
I dragged some brass home yesterday... Anybody guess what those red things are in that white bucket?
20220407_130106.jpg

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Biden Set To Announce New Crackdown On Gun Rights This Week

“The Biden administration will come out with its long-awaited ghost gun rule — aimed at reining in privately made firearms without serial numbers that are increasingly cropping up at crime scenes — as soon as Monday,” the Associated Press reported. “The rule is expected to change the current definition of a firearm under federal law to include unfinished parts, like the frame of a handgun or the receiver of a long gun.”

Hijinx

Hogg grew a beard? Must be like Groucho Marx's Mustache mostly painted on.
I doubt he is man enough to grow one. But Anyway

aimed at reining in privately made firearms without serial numbers that are increasingly cropping up at crime scenes

Can someone tell me how if a criminal shows up at a crime with a gun he made, how can a law saying he cannot make that gun stop him from making that gun. If someone is criminal enough to make it for him,How can that same law stop someone from making it for him.

UglyBear

C

Close, toe brake rubbers for roller skates.
He wanted me to take a 5 gal bucket full.
I have never reloaded— what do those have to do with empty brass?
Or the dude just had a random bucket of brake rubbers, and wanted to offload them on you just because?

black dog

Free America
the dude just had a random bucket of brake rubbers, and wanted to offload them on you just because?
The dude had a few 55 gallon drums of them. lol
The pole barn the brass was in, well his dad was a horder.

In the back corner of the barn was a reasonably clean 70's Dodge Power Wagon Pickup with a 440.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Biden Set To Announce New Crackdown On Gun Rights This Week

“The Biden administration will come out with its long-awaited ghost gun rule — aimed at reining in privately made firearms without serial numbers that are increasingly cropping up at crime scenes — as soon as Monday,” the Associated Press reported. “The rule is expected to change the current definition of a firearm under federal law to include unfinished parts, like the frame of a handgun or the receiver of a long gun.”

MD makes home-built guns illegal effective 1 June. Now the Feds are re-classifying 80% receivers as firearms. Circling the drain....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I missed this ... what is the stipulation

How can you shoot any bullet from an 80% lower
Technically, of course, you can't shoot a bullet from a finished lower either.... Be interesting to see if this gets challenged in court. That's a huge business sector that law would wreck.