Handgun background checks...

NextJen

Raisin cane
I just called Freds to check how they were handling it since it's been 38 days for me now. I was told that if I had purchased a firearm from them previously, they would let it go after the 8 days. If I had not previously bought one from them, I had to wait however long it takes for the paperwork to get done.

Looks like I'm waiting. :tap:

NavyMA85

I received an email friday from cromwells they were starting to release oldest to newest, but I still havent heard anything else back since then..I am a 4/9 waiting on my stag arms complete AR lower :coffee:

Chris0nllyn

the bolded part is wrong as your next post indicates. The MSP has actually made sure that dealers are aware of the process by which they can release firearms on the 8th day and still be in full compliance with the law. I dont see that as "making it clear that no one should do it. Also, in talking with several FFLs i have learned that most are working with their local barracks to ensure their process/waiver is acceptable prior to beginning 8th day releases.

The issue is the fact that FFLs will not, and can not release a firearms with the NIC number.

Since the MSP is the POC for the ATF, FFLs have to wait on the MSP for that.

The ATF has asked MD FFLs to not call and do an insta-check prior to MSP.

Many of these folks, technically, could transfer within the law, but choose not to because it's their business, livelyhood, and ass on the line.

Midnightrider

The issue is the fact that FFLs will not, and can not release a firearms with the NIC number.
Since the MSP is the POC for the ATF, FFLs have to wait on the MSP for that.

The ATF has asked MD FFLs to not call and do an insta-check prior to MSP.

Many of these folks, technically, could transfer within the law, but choose not to because it's their business, livelyhood, and ass on the line.

thats just not true, FFLs can, and many are releasing without a NICS number on the form. One of the previous emails from MSP indicated that for 8th day purchases they would be running the NICS check almost immediately and let dealers know if the person is not approved with in the first 7 days.

I understand that some FFLs are choosing not to release, that is their choice. A lot of other things factor into it such as insurance. But they DO NOT NEED the NICS number in order to release.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I received an email friday from cromwells they were starting to release oldest to newest, but I still havent heard anything else back since then..I am a 4/9 waiting on my stag arms complete AR lower :coffee:

YEAH!!

Time to clear out the firing lane on my rifle range..

I mean.. YEAH!!

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
the bolded part is wrong as your next post indicates. The MSP has actually made sure that dealers are aware of the process by which they can release firearms on the 8th day and still be in full compliance with the law. I dont see that as "making it clear that no one should do it. Also, in talking with several FFLs i have learned that most are working with their local barracks to ensure their process/waiver is acceptable prior to beginning 8th day releases.

I stopped by my FFL and they said it’s at their discretion and will only release to LE, security, and active duty military with LE background. I’m sure every FFL will act differently. They don’t want to release firearms to droves of people that they may have to recall.

Midnightrider

I stopped by my FFL and they said it’s at their discretion and will only release to LE, security, and active duty military with LE background. I’m sure every FFL will act differently. They don’t want to release firearms to droves of people that they may have to recall.

Each FFl is handling it differently and that is their right. It is my understanding that the MSP is doing the NICS check right away, so the FFls are covered, plus MSP will be on the hook for retrieving the guns if the customer is not approved. Still, FFLs can use their discretion, it is their business.

Shaolin_Raptor

Here is one of my new pistols.
a8anysus.jpg

nutz

Who is your FFL?

Shaolin_Raptor

No clue. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. I'm not a member of a range or club. Have to wait on the field to be available. :/

nutz