Handgun background checks...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

FWIW....I was told just yesterday by my FFL that 10 state troopers were temporarily re-assigned recently and brought up to speed and are now actively assisting with the review process. That does not sound like a delaying tactic to me...assuming its true.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
FWIW....I was told just yesterday by my FFL that 10 state troopers were temporarily re-assigned recently and brought up to speed and are now actively assisting with the review process. That does not sound like a delaying tactic to me...assuming its true.

As many cops that support the new laws and the infringement of our rights there are still as many (and hopefully more) that support our rights..

The problem is the ones at positions of authority are appointed.

I wonder if one of the annointe.. I'm sorry, appointed ones hear of this those ten will be sent back to where they came.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As many cops that support the new laws and the infringement of our rights there are still as many (and hopefully more) that support our rights..

The problem is the ones at positions of authority are appointed.

I wonder if one of the annointe.. I'm sorry, appointed ones hear of this those ten will be sent back to where they came.

I dunno. Reportedly it initially slowed the process down as those who normally run the system had to veer off and help train the new assignees. But now its supposed to be all good and kick in to a higher gear to try and reduce the backlog.

Again...I have no confirmation of that but it was relayed by someone very close to that actual process.

ZARA

We are now waiting on the background check for our lower receiver. We will see how long that takes.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Received an email about a filed complaint from MSI and assorted gun range owners and dealers:
"... Baltimore County Circuit Court against the Maryland State Police (MSP) for the state’s failure to process firearm applications within the seven days mandated by Maryland law."

Maryland Shall Issue Files Suit Against MSP

Shaolin_Raptor

I don't see that going anywhere....which does suck. I know gun shops will like it since they will be able to get rid of all the weapons they have been holding for 50+ days.

Shaolin_Raptor

Hell no. But when I buy something, I want it now. I don't even like waiting for shipping. I bought two guns at the same time, the second was impulse, the first was not.

sockgirl77

Hell no. But when I buy something, I want it now. I don't even like waiting for shipping. I bought two guns at the same time, the second was impulse, the first was not.

On Target in Severn has been releasing handguns on the 8th day. I'm sure that they are pricey, but they have a pretty good reputation. I wish that I would have heard about them first. But, I only paid $25 for my transfer. :eek:hwell;

Shaolin_Raptor

I know some people are releasing them. I understand why some do, and I understand why some don't. A nice catch 22. It would be nice if previous applicants had a seperate pile than could be run through at a faster pace.

bulldog

No idea whether it will bust the log jam of applications open or not, but MSP is currently being sued by 5 private individuals, Maryland Shall Issue, Associated Gun Clubs, etc., for the fact that the wait is so far beyond what COMAR states. Hopefully this will entice them to react more quickly (some have opined that our wonderful Martin O has instructed MSP to "take their time" in processing applications) or force them to do so as a result of court order.

Midnightrider

No idea whether it will bust the log jam of applications open or not, but MSP is currently being sued by 5 private individuals, Maryland Shall Issue, Associated Gun Clubs, etc., for the fact that the wait is so far beyond what COMAR states. Hopefully this will entice them to react more quickly (some have opined that our wonderful Martin O has instructed MSP to "take their time" in processing applications) or force them to do so as a result of court order.

If that is the case, and Omalley is forcing a slow down, why would you expect it to get better with pending litigation? Seems like they might just come to an all stop.
I noticed they decided to deny all of the pending carry permits that were submitted without the G&S.

bulldog

If that is the case, and Omalley is forcing a slow down, why would you expect it to get better with pending litigation? Seems like they might just come to an all stop.
I noticed they decided to deny all of the pending carry permits that were submitted without the G&S.

I did not say I "expect", I said "hopefully". Maybe (doubtful) the AG will put a bug in his ear and tell him that he's been caught in the act and that it's not worth the $$$ that it will take to go to court. Who knows in this state?

Yep, I got my denial letter in the mail Monday. Next steps will be interesting.