Harris Teeter

I know we've had the discussion before of how training employees is very important...case in point chik fil a staff vs. mcdonalds...they're both picking from the same pool of individuals but obviously chik fil a does something better training wise. I'm hoping the same can be said for Harris Teeter.

Being a Christian based company, they probably find those with similar goals and attitudes. And they threaten to beat them with a bible if they don't comply.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Harris Teeter to announce grand opening

California, MD- TheBayNet.com has learned Harris Teeter will announce its opening date for the new Harris Teeter grocery store at the St. Mary’s Marketplace on Tuesday, Jan. 9.

The 58,000 square foot grocery store and pharmacy will be the anchor for the 108,000 square foot shopping plaza. Joining Harris Teeter at St. Mary’s Marketplace will be Panda Express, Café Rio, Great Clips, Mod Pizza, Nail Trix, Batteries & Bulbs, as well as Maryland-based Bay Country Liquors.

Starbucks, which is currently located along Three Notch Road near Verizon, will be moving to St. Mary’s Marketplace. The new Starbucks will also include a drive-thru.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Harris Teeter Corporate told me via email that they are opening on January 25th.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Any idea when the other shops in St Mary's Marketplace will be opening? I am looking forward to trying MOD Pizza to see how it stacks up.

If it stacks up against the other Mod's that I've eaten at, you are in for a treat.

MiddleGround

Dealing with Starbucks at its current location by the Verizon store is challenge enough. Can't wait to deal with the morning 235/Rte 4 traffic!

And yes, I know they have mobile ordering. That doesn't help the traffic at that intersection.

glhs837

Power with Control
Dealing with Starbucks at its current location by the Verizon store is challenge enough. Can't wait to deal with the morning 235/Rte 4 traffic!

And yes, I know they have mobile ordering. That doesn't help the traffic at that intersection.

Mobile ordering plus parking around back

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.301...DjBivCwQWubr1IBdH82A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Where these are parked and following this path

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.301...DjBivCwQWubr1IBdH82A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Will make it a bit better. I never use the SB parking lot. Doesnt help the 4/235 too much, I understand, but by going straight through and in that way maybe that helps?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Have never understood the attraction to Starbucks (have bought their product exactly once, as it was the only vendor open in the airport).
Coffee is merely a beverage, not a way of life, which Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, MacDonalds or other makes just fine.

glhs837

Power with Control
Have never understood the attraction to Starbucks (have bought their product exactly once, as it was the only vendor open in the airport).
Coffee is merely a beverage, not a way of life, which Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, MacDonalds or other makes just fine.

I agree, not a way of life, but I do enjoy a Flat White now and again. I would say that Dunks is a way of life for quite a lot of folks. In New England, it's virtually a religion :) And Dunks offers nothing like a lot of SBs stuff. Not the stupid Frappuchinos, but the higher end coffees. Think of the difference between Bud and craft brews.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I know we've had the discussion before of how training employees is very important...case in point chik fil a staff vs. mcdonalds...they're both picking from the same pool of individuals but obviously chik fil a does something better training wise. I'm hoping the same can be said for Harris Teeter.

CFA appears to be pickier in who they hire. You don't see the ghetto thugs at the register and fry station the way you do at other fast food restaurants. This is true, as far as I can tell personally, all across the US. They hire the person, not just the pulse.

Harris Teeter, like Whole Foods, is supposed to be an "experience", which is how they justify their higher prices. If you have the same level of service, cleanliness, and selection at HT that you do at Giant, there's no reason to not pay the lower prices at Giant.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Any idea when the other shops in St Mary's Marketplace will be opening? I am looking forward to trying MOD Pizza to see how it stacks up.

Apparently the MOD people heard Monello and me talking about our retirement plan of buying a MOD or Blaze franchise, opening it in California or Solomons, and making a fortune.

The ones we've been to have bright smiling clean faces and an offbeat hip vibe as their image. If they cannot replicate that in SoMD, they'll fail.

PeoplesElbow

CFA appears to be pickier in who they hire. You don't see the ghetto thugs at the register and fry station the way you do at other fast food restaurants. This is true, as far as I can tell personally, all across the US. They hire the person, not just the pulse.

Harris Teeter, like Whole Foods, is supposed to be an "experience", which is how they justify their higher prices. If you have the same level of service, cleanliness, and selection at HT that you do at Giant, there's no reason to not pay the lower prices at Giant.

When I worked there I never got the impression that it was supposed to be an experience. The nicest grocery store in town was actually a Bi-Lo.

MiddleGround

I really don't see the Harris Teeter surviving. As long as you can get the bulk of your grocery needs at Walmart, Weis, and Aldi's, I see it folding within 2-3 years.

The ones we've been to have bright smiling clean faces and an offbeat hip vibe as their image. If they cannot replicate that in SoMD, they'll fail.

Remeber that, like many other chain services, they will open with corporate help for a while. After that, they will depend on the local hiring pool.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I really don't see the Harris Teeter surviving. As long as you can get the bulk of your grocery needs at Walmart, Weis, and Aldi's, I see it folding within 2-3 years.

Remeber that, like many other chain services, they will open with corporate help for a while. After that, they will depend on the local hiring pool.

As long as we're just giving opinions, I think if they have any kind of quality then they'll do. Giant and McKays on the other hand I have misgivings over. Giant is just too cramped, while McKays has a constant rotten fish odor. Walmart is the only one that I think has an automatic free pass to the next round.