How about we ask the audience….

Is it ok to grab a pork chop at a party and eat it without utensils?

• Sure

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • No, that is rude and very Neanderthal.

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Well, I want to just grab it and tear into it, but since I’m at a party, I’ll use utensils.

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

Pandora

Does anyone else ever go into those places where it is perfectly acceptable to throw peanut shells on the floor and think that is tacky? :shrug:

W

Wenchy

vraiblonde said:
You have taken heat for this little shenanigan, but I say it's fine in a casual setting, such as a picnic. It's not the most attractive thing you can do, but it's not a sin. A hamburger, on the other hand, should be eaten EITHER on a bun OR with a knife and fork.

I did eat my hamburger patty standing up at the end of the table with a knife and fork, so there is hope for me yet. I also chew with my mouth closed. :lol:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Somdmommy said:
The question was not...."at a redneck event do you..."

There is a difference!!

And I didn't say "at a redneck event" ... I said pork chops are redneck chow, and I've never seen them served in any sort of environment where it wouldn't be acceptable to pick them up and eat them with your hands. I guess I'm assuming that they're being prepared like typical pork chops (grilled or fried). If they're boneless and prepared in some sort of fru-fru way, that changes things.

But I stand by my original post (and will clarify it) -- a typical bone-in pork chop (grilled or fried) is acceptable to eat without utensils.

crabcake

vraiblonde said:
Anyway, Crabcake, if you're not dating anyone, I know a guy you might be interested in. :biggrin:

:roflmao: I'm good to go, but thanks! I've had my fair share of "dutch ovens" to last me a lifetime. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
a typical bone-in pork chop (grilled or fried) is acceptable to eat without utensils.
Then why wouldn't you eat a t-bone with your fingers as well? (Let's pretend you go somewhere and that's all they have)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pandora said:
Does anyone else ever go into those places where it is perfectly acceptable to throw peanut shells on the floor and think that is tacky?
I don't think it's tacky, but I won't do it. I'm incapable of deliberately throwing food on the floor.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I don't think it's tacky, but I won't do it. I'm incapable of deliberately throwing food on the floor.

You should have seen Elaine, she cringed at the idea. :lmao:

meangirl

Nice lady!
Pete said:
We used to get pork chops across the street from my dads shop at a gas station. He would fry them in the back, mash them between two pieces of wonder bread and wrap it in tin foil for a buck.

God I miss Georgia :killingme

A woman I worked with used to bring me pork chop sandwiches. Bone and all. :lmao:

crabcake

Pandora said:
Does anyone else ever go into those places where it is perfectly acceptable to throw peanut shells on the floor and think that is tacky? :shrug:

I think you need to take a step back and look at the places you're going to eat. Restaurants in general have a theme or 'flavor' and that's their 'brand' so to speak. Like Ben and Jerrys ice creams have themed names ... Outback has (what they consider) an Australian themed menu ... some places have their quirky thing and that's something people like about it, remember it, etc.

We had a place in Tucson we used to go to that had great steaks, and their thing was to cut off any tie worn into the place and nail it up on the rafters. It was a joke thing. Whenever you had someone coming in from out of town, you had them meet you there wearing a tie. It's all in fun ... peanut shells on the floor are no different -- they just increase your insurance premiums. :lol:

crabcake

vraiblonde said:
Then why wouldn't you eat a t-bone with your fingers as well? (Let's pretend you go somewhere and that's all they have)

I'd use my fork/knife. Why, you ask? Because a t-bone is bigger, and able to be cut up much easier than a pork chop. A bone-in pork chop is typically kinda small (4'x4'). It's too cumbersome to try to cut around the bone to get the meat off it.

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
crabcake said:
I'd use my fork/knife. Why, you ask? Because a t-bone is bigger, and able to be cut up much easier than a pork chop. A bone-in pork chop is typically kinda small (4'x4'). It's too cumbersome to try to cut around the bone to get the meat off it.
Now i would have to say, if it were a "cookout" with beer and people without shoes yeah pick it up,

Other than that No

crabcake

Somdmommy said:
Now i would have to say, if it were a "cookout" with beer and people without shoes yeah pick it up,

Other than that No

Where have you dined out that offered bone-in pork chops and felt compelled to cut 'em up with a fork and knife?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Has anyone been to Dirty Dick's? We went to the one in San Antonio. We stayed for one beer and left. It was kind of funny to watch the rudeness, but if I wanted to be treated like crap I'd stay at work.

Likewise, if you don't like places that encourage you to throw peanut shells on the floor, why do you go there?

Elaine felt that children shouldn't go to restaurants. Why would you go to a restaurant that caters to families if you don't want to be around kids?

If you go to nice restaurant and the guy at the next table chews with his mouth open, you have a right to be offended. If you go to Outback and somebody picks up their lambchop to dig in, what did you expect?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
Where have you dined out that offered bone-in pork chops and felt compelled to cut 'em up with a fork and knife?
I have been to several restaurants that serve pork chops, from diners to bistro-type places. At none of these places would I pick up my pork chop and start gnawing.

Pandora

RoseRed said:
You should have seen Elaine, she cringed at the idea. :lmao:

Maybe I'm being a priss, but I cringe at the idea as well.

I just cannot throw stuff on the floor like that but my company just tosses right on the floor.

I want to scream....

PICK THAT UP..... YOU ARE MAKING A MESS.... :razz:

I went to Medival Times a few weeks back and really had a tough time with the fact I had to eat with my fingers. :ohwell:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MMDad said:
If you go to Outback and somebody picks up their lambchop to dig in, what did you expect?
Lambchops are different because they come bite sized, with their own little handles.

I don't know what kind of pork chops you all eat, but I get the meaty ones that leave a mess all over your face when you eat them by hand (I know this because I do do this at home if I'm snacking on leftovers - never at the table). And typically they're too thick to bite a hunk off without really looking like a pig.

crabcake

vraiblonde said:
I have been to several restaurants that serve pork chops, from diners to bistro-type places. At none of these places would I pick up my pork chop and start gnawing.

I have a hard time imagining shelling out the bucks to go to a "bistro" and even ordering pork chops. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but there are certain things I just won't order when I'm out to eat. I can do pork chops at home, and in the off chance I don't want to cook them, I have places to go to get 'em done right (and it's okay to eat 'em with your fingers there). But if I'm dining out at some fancy schmancy place, I'm not gonna order redneck chow. :shrug:

I'm trying to instill this concept into DQ -- I don't do buffets ... not Golden Corral, or any other type place ... but she always wants to go to 'em. It isn't that I think I'm above it or too good for it. Rather, if I'm going to pay for dinner out someplace, the last thing I want to do is wait in line to serve myself when I could very well do that for free at home. I want someone waiting on me, bringing the food, refilling my drink and catering to my dining needs. I don't want to be scratching my head over how much tip to leave the person who only tossed me some silverware, an empty cup, and dropped the check on the table before I had my salad half gone. :ohwell: