How did you meet your spouse

SamSpade

I met my wife through an Internet dating site (that no longer exists).

We'd been kind of chatting for a while - sort of - my wife jokes about the fact that I was in no hurry to meet her and made what she thought were lame excuses. Her ad had no picture and the one she eventually sent me I have repeatedly said is the worst pic of her I've ever seen. She jokes "you didn't want to meet me because I was uuuuuuuuggggllyyyy".

Anyway, truth is, I'd been Internet dating for a while, technically had a girlfriend (that I really wasn't into) and up until I met her, they all lived far away - Bowie, Rockville, Laurel, Columbia. This one lived in the area. So I figured we'd meet for lunch. She teases me because the way I phrased it was "we haven't done the lunch thing, have we?". We decided to meet on a Friday for dinner.

The very day I got laid off. First time in my life.

Anyway, she looked great. Big, BIG smile, and she still has the most beautiful light blue eyes I've ever seen. I liked her right away, but I was so afraid of blowing it. Unfortunately, I'd chatted online that I liked their margaritas and drank a lot of them. And I was unemployed. And we went Dutch. She still wanted the evening to go on, so I invited her to go see a movie.

A horror movie - which she HATES. Suffice it to say, unknown to me I was making about the worst impression I could make at all. She went inside to get some popcorn and soda.

How what happened next had any impact at all - I don't know. I took her food and offered to carry her coat for her into the theater. At first, she thought I was mooching off her, but she realized I was trying to be a gentleman. She later said that was the turning point - she realized that with everything else - I was determined to make a bad day a good one.

Later, in the parking lot, I tried to show her the swing dancing moves I'd learned in class, and we briefly danced in the parking lot. I think she realized that as bad as I could dance, I wasn't all that bad. She also mentions the fact that I made a good evening out of the worst day of my life, and credits that to good character.

That was our first date. We were married about a year and a half after that, and have been married four years.

And everyone here knows about the pool incident.......

J

jjsmommy99

You're right, I definitely gained my best friend! It's the under construction lighthouse at St. Clement's. Hubby and I went there last weekend to check it out and see how it was coming along. It looks really nice.

Wow. It looks really good. Have to go check it out. My family usually dedicated one day to do all the lighthouses in OBX. Due for a lighthouse day this year down there.

belvak

Happy Camper
It looks just like the building at Piney Point lighthouse, but without the light.

I didn't really think about it until I looked at the pics later, but it's really reminiscent of the Point Lookout Lighthouse in style too. They've done a great job! I can't wait until they start letting you go inside.

SamSpade

What pool incident? :popcorn:

Since I get to reply first before anyone else does - after I'd been dating my wife about a month or so, I invted her to two New Year's Eve parties - one at a forumite's house (who no longer posts) and one at Christy's (the very same).

The first party was one of those calm wine and cheese, easy listening events. Everyone toasted in the New Year at 10:30 because no one wanted to stay up late.

So I told my wife the next party would be very different. Expect about 10 times more people, a lotta noise and a lotta drunken folks (they didn't disappoint).

On the way into the house, I warned my wife that they had a pool, and even though it had a cover, to watch ......

SPLASH! Face first, in the puddle on top of the cover. I was soaked. My wife was mortified and was sure I'd flip out and go home.

Nope. Told her I was going inside to give Ken King a great big soggy hug. Since he comes up to about my sternum, he'd get the worst of it.

My wife later says that this incident was instrumental in convincing her I could put up with anything she could dish out.

Tina2001aniT

How did you meet your spouse and how did you know they were the one?

Met my husband country dancing- he was the only one who could really dance and I scooped him up. It'll be 10 yrs of marriage this November. :love:

My mom met my stepdad country line dancing as well. I was like like 14 and her and I were taking classes together.
My now step dad was one of the instructors and I said "Mom that guy is sweatin you" and it all went from there.

R

redhotmomma

All great stories. I remember our first kiss. he was walking me to my car. He lined over to kiss me on my cheek, he was so drunk he slobbered on my cheek and fell over on the ground. How romantic is that...lol!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
All great stories. I remember our first kiss. he was walking me to my car. He lined over to kiss me on my cheek, he was so drunk he slobbered on my cheek and fell over on the ground. How romantic is that...lol!

First Kiss..

It was so romantic.. parking lot of the Sunoco station/ Blimpie Store.