How much do you tell your s/o about your past?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Qurious said:
well he still in love with me...but refuses to be with me because of those unkown exploits....
So tell him, what's the problem?
Outstanding warrants?
You're only as sick as your secrets. Tell all and your past will lose it's control over your present.

Last edited:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Qurious said:
well he still in love with me...but refuses to be with me because of those unkown exploits....

its obvious he knows nothing about unconditional love...im hoping a counselor can help him get past this obsession....
Could he be worried about STDs, AIDS, and the like? You have sex with every partner your partner ever had before you in a sense. In this day and age, there is good reason for celibacy before marriage besides the spiritual mandate.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
aps45819 said:
So tell him, what's the problem?
Outstanding warrants?
You're only as sick as your secrets. Tell all and your past will lose it's control over your present.
:yay: Well put. I think people have a tendency to place more importance on their past then is really necessary.

SamSpade

I'm pretty much a tell-all kind of person. I understand TMI most of the time, but I don't really feel much of a need to hide things. What's the point? It'll all come out sooner or later - might as well be sooner.

I don't see much of the other guy's situation - only your version of it. I do know if I was arguing with someone and they brought up a ridiculous point (say, someone giving me a hard time for getting laid off, only to know they'd been fired half a dozen times), you're damned skippy I'd bring it up. If someone I'd known had DUI's or been in jail - I'm not going to listen to their "advice" on how much I can drink. I've done that. It's not bringing up the past - it's shutting up a noseybody. I had a girlfriend a long time ago with a history of self-mutilation, attempted suicides, drugs, abuse and promiscuity - lecturing me about my little sister's problems. I let her have it, because it was none of her damned business.

On the other hand ---

Bringing UNRELATED sh!t just because you can is just plain dirty. Poking around in people's past just to be nosey is the product of an insecure control freak.

I think, in a good relationship, you reach a level of trust where it doesn't MATTER how much they know - and as they learn more - it doesn't bother you, either. Heck, this past Thanksgiving my dad told me stuff about his growing up that I'd NEVER heard before. And I thought I knew all of it.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Tigerlily said:
It seems to me you both have a lot of issues/obstacles in the way here.
1. Do you love him and want to make it work?
2. Are you afraid he won't want you if you are honest?
3. Is there really any hope here?

1. Very Much & Yes.
2. Yes, I know where being dishonest can get me.
3. Yes...he keeps coming back to me and I to him. There is something keeping us together despite all the other stuff we put each other through.

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Qurious said:
he keeps coming back to me and I to him. There is something keeping us together despite all the other stuff we put each other through.

This is called "addiction."

Been there, done that, get out while you can.

Qurious

Im On 1.
2ndAmendment said:
Could he be worried about STDs, AIDS, and the like? You have sex with every partner your partner ever had before you in a sense. In this day and age, there is good reason for celibacy before marriage besides the spiritual mandate.

Of course not!!!

We both got tests before we got serious with one another...and if I did sleep with someone else I would use protection. The last thing on his mind is catching something from me.

Qurious

Im On 1.
SamSpade said:
Poking around in people's past just to be nosey is the product of an insecure control freak.[\QUOTE]

*sigh*

your not the first person that has said this.

dustin

UAIOE
Qurious said:
I think you would both need to go to the counseling, not just him. I don't know all about your relationship, but I would think greater progress could be had with both of you in attendance. Because although it very well could be HIS issue, you might have some play in this which causes HIS issue... which both sides may be brought to light during counseling.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Qurious said:
3. Yes...he keeps coming back to me

you are too busy :lalala: we all should :smack: you because you think :smoochy: = :love: you gota know when to fish and when to cut bait. All you are catching is the same old oyster toad. Its fun when you first get a tug on your line then you get it reeled up to the boat and it spits mud all over and you can't wait to throw it back. :deadhorse

Qurious

Im On 1.
dustin said:
I think you would both need to go to the counseling, not just him. I don't know all about your relationship, but I would think greater progress could be had with both of you in attendance. Because although it very well could be HIS issue, you might have some play in this which causes HIS issue... which both sides may be brought to light during counseling.

Yes I am guilty of this :blushing:

Qurious

Im On 1.
Dougstermd said:
you are too busy :lalala: we all should :smack: you because you think :smoochy: = :love: you gota know when to fish and when to cut bait. All you are catching is the same old oyster toad. Its fun when you first get a tug on your line then you get it reeled up to the boat and it spits mud all over and you can't wait to throw it back. :deadhorse

I know the difference between lust, infatuation and love.

Its more to it than sex after 4 years BELEIVE ME!!! :lmao:

Qurious said:
aren't married couples addicted to one another?
Not healthy marriages... Addictive love is ultimately destructive to itself and to the persons involved. Addicted lovers are increasingly unable to cope with anyone or anything else. The relationship becomes the only point of certainty in a bewildering and lonely world. Addictive love does produce a certain excitement that is not present in healthier relationships, which is why some people stay in an unfulfilling relationship long after they've recognized the dysfunctional nature of it.

By contrast, mature lovers have the desire to grow and expand themselves through the relationship. They do not use the lover to fill up the emptiness within themselves, but are self-completed. The relationship brings out the best in them. They are friends who enjoy each other for their own individuality, yet the relationship is integrated into the totality of life, and they maintain other serious interests as well.

dustin

UAIOE
kwillia said:
Not healthy marriages... Addictive love is ultimately destructive to itself and to the persons involved. Addicted lovers are increasingly unable to cope with anyone or anything else. The relationship becomes the only point of certainty in a bewildering and lonely world. Addictive love does produce a certain excitement that is not present in healthier relationships, which is why some people stay in an unfulfilling relationship long after they've recognized the dysfunctional nature of it.

By contrast, mature lovers have the desire to grow and expand themselves through the relationship. They do not use the lover to fill up the emptiness within themselves, but are self-completed. The relationship brings out the best in them. They are friends who enjoy each other for their own individuality, yet the relationship is integrated into the totality of life, and they maintain other serious interests as well.
Hark! The mighty Kwillia speaketh!

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I am so confused here. You started this off with how you couldn't believe that he wanted to know about your past and now your yammerin on and on how much you love eachother. My thought is that if asked something answer it. I would not hide anything but I would not necessarily divulge every sordid detail of my life. After four years of being together I would think you would have already shared these things though.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Tigerlily said:
I am so confused here. You started this off with how you couldn't believe that he wanted to know about your past and now your yammerin on and on how much you love eachother. My thought is that if asked something answer it. I would not hide anything but I would not necessarily divulge every sordid detail of my life. After four years of being together I would think you would have already shared these things though.

If your man told you that in order for you two to get back together and try again he wants to know everything you did while you two were apart...

its the "past" why does it matter???

this is what im dealing with.

so how much do you disclose?