Hurricane Sandy is coming .....

ravenhorse

Ok so for everyone who thinks we aren't going to get anything here in Southern Maryland, I don't think you realize how big hurricanes can stretch. Even if the eye doesn't hit anywhere near us, we can still feel the effects with downpours of rain and high winds. The reason that it can still be dangerous for us is because our ecosystem is not designed to withstand that. The ground is soft so our trees and plants are not strong enough to hold against constant, heavy wind which will knock them down. We are also on sea level which means that torrential downpours will cause flooding. For people who own horses (or any animal for that matter) this is a big deal for us because animals are far more difficult to protect and evacuate if something should go wrong. And it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. :)

Personally, I have a list that I follow for every hurricane threat. 1). Make sure that all loose things around your barn are picked up and stored safely. 2). Pick up any debris, including sticks and large rocks, so that your horses have less chance to get hurt by flying debris. 3). Fill up any and all water troughs, and maybe keep a clean garbage can or something full of water somewhere indoors. 4). Keep an emergency kit with you indoors, with medicines, bandages, extra halters and lead ropes, copy of coggins and pictures of you with your horses, pictures of scars or unusual markings, in case your horse gets lost.

Braiding identification into manes or tails is a great idea. I also like to keep leather halters (leather for break away reasons) on at all times with a small luggage tag attached with all my contact info on it.

I usually keep my horses outside, but with their stall doors open so that they can go in our out.

Once we've done all we can, its up to your horses! Trust them to be smart enough to find safety and shelter - they know what they're doing. Good luck to all of you!! I'm sure we will all be fine :)

Loper

Animal Poor!
Smart! We need to do that...

Hey can you share how you did it. Or did you buy them customized like that?

I had them made years ago from someone on Ebay. I tried to find the info for you but it was back in 2008. I don't know if they still make them. If you want the email addy to see if they do, you can PM me and I'll give it to you. Paso had some made from the same person back then as well.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Ok so for everyone who thinks we aren't going to get anything here in Southern Maryland, I don't think you realize how big hurricanes can stretch. Even if the eye doesn't hit anywhere near us, we can still feel the effects with downpours of rain and high winds. The reason that it can still be dangerous for us is because our ecosystem is not designed to withstand that. The ground is soft so our trees and plants are not strong enough to hold against constant, heavy wind which will knock them down. We are also on sea level which means that torrential downpours will cause flooding. For people who own horses (or any animal for that matter) this is a big deal for us because animals are far more difficult to protect and evacuate if something should go wrong. And it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. :)

Personally, I have a list that I follow for every hurricane threat. 1). Make sure that all loose things around your barn are picked up and stored safely. 2). Pick up any debris, including sticks and large rocks, so that your horses have less chance to get hurt by flying debris. 3). Fill up any and all water troughs, and maybe keep a clean garbage can or something full of water somewhere indoors. 4). Keep an emergency kit with you indoors, with medicines, bandages, extra halters and lead ropes, copy of coggins and pictures of you with your horses, pictures of scars or unusual markings, in case your horse gets lost.

Braiding identification into manes or tails is a great idea. I also like to keep leather halters (leather for break away reasons) on at all times with a small luggage tag attached with all my contact info on it.

I usually keep my horses outside, but with their stall doors open so that they can go in our out.

Once we've done all we can, its up to your horses! Trust them to be smart enough to find safety and shelter - they know what they're doing. Good luck to all of you!! I'm sure we will all be fine :)

Nothing to do with horses, but the highlighted statement is true, the storm is in the Atlantic and I'm on the west coast of Florida and we are getting ridiculous winds, I haven't seen wind like this in a long time.

Just take precautions, do what you have to do to keep your animals and yourselves safe.

breezy9999

Great advice guys ! I will b braiding dog tags into my horses manes with my info on it ,I just worry about the halters getting caught and breaking away. I also will be leaving my horses out with a run in, that way in case of down trees or if the barn collapsed, they can get away. They're pretty smart when it comes to weather :)

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
+1 Halters can be dangerous if left on. They can get caught and even "breakaways" or leather halters may not break before serious damage happens to your horse.

Because my guys have an inside or outside choice I did put rain sheets on last night (you're welcome, I've kept the rain away by being prepared) because the temps are supposed to be in the 40s at night. My guys are fat and fuzzy, too like Loper's ponies. :)

Braiding a tag into the mane is a nice, safe way to identify them.

All of my troughs are full but I'll be filling up my water tank in the trailer and some fuel containers that I use for extra water storage too.

Loper

Animal Poor!
+1 Halters can be dangerous if left on. They can get caught and even "breakaways" or leather halters may not break before serious damage happens to your horse.

Because my guys have an inside or outside choice I did put rain sheets on last night (you're welcome, I've kept the rain away by being prepared) because the temps are supposed to be in the 40s at night. My guys are fat and fuzzy, too like Loper's ponies. :)

Braiding a tag into the mane is a nice, safe way to identify them.
All of my troughs are full but I'll be filling up my water tank in the trailer and some fuel containers that I use for extra water storage too.

I put mine out with their halters on. I think if they get loose then it will certainly be easier for someone to catch them. :) everyone but Butter has the names on them. As you know, there isn't much for my guys to get caught up on if they stay in the fields. If they get out and go tearing through the woods then their blankets could get caught up as well. I think something would really have to spook them to get them to leave the acres of hay fields outside the fences though.. :killingme

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I had them made years ago from someone on Ebay. I tried to find the info for you but it was back in 2008. I don't know if they still make them. If you want the email addy to see if they do, you can PM me and I'll give it to you. Paso had some made from the same person back then as well.

Yeah but I dont remember who from ....I leave halters off and use laminated business cards with cell numbers (if no elec house phone will be dead) in the manes... oh wait we have a generator..anyway we have automatich waterers so need power. Rain will fill any bucket...water container left out...be safe...most of mine are in a few out with run ins...

SugarNSpikes

Well since I got stuck in Florida (they cancelled my flight home that was supposed to be tomorrow), I hope my horse will be okay. I know that he's in the perfectly capable hands of my barn owner but I worry since I'm nowhere near him in case anything happens.

erinjograves

I got Mocha. Dont you worry about him at all! As soon as I can make it to the barn, I will send you pics! He will be fine.