Hypp

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Carefulone said:
Oh oh....don't want to leave unfinished thoughts. I just think, and I've had personal experience and dealings with people that I didn't check on their status in the registries that handles our breed. It's always best to call and make sure the person selling you these horses....is in good standing with the registry your interested in investing your money with...breed wise. The person I bought from is santioned in all three premier registries, is not supposed to sell or be an agent for selling RMHA horses.....I didn't know, but am working to make sure it doesn't happen to others....hence buy from real people.
Buy from people who are members in good standing, Premier breeding farms not horse traders....you can start with the best....and better it, not keep on keeping on with the bad in the breed for a dollar.....
If I am making the right assumption on who you bought your horse from, the person you bought from is not a breeder. He is a broker. BIG difference.

Was your horse delivered or did you go and actually RIDE it, and did you do a pre-purchase exam on it before you bought it? What is the horse's registered name? Is it a registered Rocky? Or KMSHA?

And the "breeding farms" are just as bad if not worse because they are protected by certain individuals within the organization, and DO mass produce babies specifically for profit, and NO they aren't concerned with color DNA and avoiding ASD or other defects at all, it is not cost effective for them.

They HAVE to do identifying DNA to register them with RMHA, but not other organizations (KMSHA, or the Spotted registry) Ask SOMDRocks, she has personal first hand experience, as do I. But that isn't going to keep me from being involved with the breed.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Robin said:
Ditto
If this is the way you treat folks trying to get answers I feel sorry for them I am asking your knowledge since you have so much in this particular subject. and trying to understand the purpose of breeding specifics. thank you for not answering any direct questions. I am walking away from this conversation since it is not going anywhere but 1 sided ignorance

I'm not sure what questions I didn't answer? I was quite specific.
I provided data, a very detailed article on the subject...and referenced a beautiful mare that I own, have had detailed genetic studies on, who i fully intend to breed, has no silver genes, no ASD characteristics, and a beautiful pedigree, gait, temperament and conformation, and you questioned..."Why breed her?" I BOUGHT her to add to my breeding program.

HOW is this 1 sided ignorance?

Last edited:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Robin said:
There are still folks breeding the Impressive lineage because they dont care

I will breed a horse with Impressive blood...but I won't breed an N/H or H/H. Impressive can pass great qualities, especially once the HYPP Gene is gone.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
happyappygirl said:
I'm not sure what questions I didn't answer? I was quite specific.
I provided data, a very detailed article on the subject...and referenced a beautiful mare that I own, have had detailed genetic studies on, who i fully intend to breed, has no silver genes, no ASD characteristics, and a beautiful pedigree, gait, temperament and conformation, and you questioned..."Why breed her?" I BOUGHT her to add to my breeding program.

HOW is this 1 sided ignorance?

I think this goes back to your post #72 where you said you would breed for the color that sells. "So be it". So I think the appearance here is that while your mare lacks the silver gene, you will breed her to a silver and roll the dice at perpetuating a non-desirable trait for sake of color / money. :coffee: JMO

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
appendixqh said:
I think this goes back to your post #72 where you said you would breed for the color that sells. "So be it". So I think the appearance here is that while your mare lacks the silver gene, you will breed her to a silver and roll the dice at perpetuating a non-desirable trait for sake of color / money. :coffee: JMO

Even if this mare was bred to a horse with silver dapple, ASD would be a non issue, the horse wouldn't have it.

SouthernMdRocks

appendixqh said:

Hey,,, I still can't leave you any karma,,,,so here's your green......GREEN. :howdy:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
SouthernMdRocks said:
Even if this mare was bred to a horse with silver dapple, ASD would be a non issue, the horse wouldn't have it.

Are you sure...from what I read, only one parent needs to carry the gene and can pass it on. I read about one farm that gelded their stallion so they wouldn't continue the practice

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
appendixqh said:
Blonde moment...uh ... no... what pics? :howdy:

Another situation where I should have PM'd. oops. :razz: There was a photographer at the last few MW shows & I was just passing on the link. :howdy:

Appendix QH I liked the pics of your guy. :yay: I tried to return the Green, but it won't let me. :huggy:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
BZHorseMomE said:
Another situation where I should have PM'd. oops. :razz: There was a photographer at the last few MW shows & I was just passing on the link. :howdy:

Appendix QH I liked the pics of your guy. :yay: I tried to return the Green, but it won't let me. :huggy:

Thanks! Hey, pm me the link so I can see the pics! :) :huggy:

SouthernMdRocks

appendixqh said:
Are you sure...from what I read, only one parent needs to carry the gene and can pass it on. I read about one farm that gelded their stallion so they wouldn't continue the practice

To carry one silver dapple will not lead to the horse having ASD, it takes a horse having 2 of the genes to end up with ASD. If a horse is a carrier of one gene then one must be careful not to take the chance and breed to another horse who carries the gene. So far I have only used black clear eyed stallions with my chocolate mare.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appendixqh said:
WELL DUH...when you're talking about a breed where 85-90% of the REGISTERED horses carry silver...there isn't much choice now, is there? Sorry I had to say that....

One copy of the silver gene is no issue what so ever. And for MOST horses, even double silver is NO issue.
Regarding WHAT stallion I will breed to...I don't know yet. I do know that YES i will breed her for a Buckskin or Palomino foal. And if the stallion carries silver, no big deal, although I'd RATHER have a true buckskin or palomino and NOT a silver B-S or Pal...but with this the gene pool those colors are sometimes difficult to get.

What I'd rather find in order to produce a chocolate/white horse with no silver is a deep dark Liver chestnut with double flax, OR a super dark sooty palomino, both of which look identical to Chocolate and white silvers, and cross my fingers that I get a nice dark colored palomino foal who looks chocolate/white, and go from there.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
SouthernMdRocks said:
To carry one silver dapple will not lead to the horse having ASD, it takes a horse having 2 of the genes to end up with ASD. If a horse is a carrier of one gene then one must be careful not to take the chance and breed to another horse who carries the gene. So far I have only used black clear eyed stallions with my chocolate mare.
The black stallion you use also carries Red, and is from parents who, one of which carries silver, whichis why you get lovely chocolate (silver black) foals, which are probably heterozygous silver, although you haven't had them DNA'd have you? (Your baby and the stallion are nice BTW!!) AND the stallion you use also carries Sabino, which is another ball of wax, but your mare doesn't carry Sabino, having produced nice foals with minimal white. :yay:

Carefulone

happyappygirl said:
If I am making the right assumption on who you bought your horse from, the person you bought from is not a breeder. He is a broker. BIG difference.

Was your horse delivered or did you go and actually RIDE it, and did you do a pre-purchase exam on it before you bought it? What is the horse's registered name? Is it a registered Rocky? Or KMSHA?

And the "breeding farms" are just as bad if not worse because they are protected by certain individuals within the organization, and DO mass produce babies specifically for profit, and NO they aren't concerned with color DNA and avoiding ASD or other defects at all, it is not cost effective for them.

They HAVE to do identifying DNA to register them with RMHA, but not other organizations (KMSHA, or the Spotted registry) Ask SOMDRocks, she has personal first hand experience, as do I. But that isn't going to keep me from being involved with the breed.

If you know the person I'm speaking of, and have, or have not dealth with the business, but just because you're starting a new breeding operation, then maybe you should do the same investagative work on the horse salesman in our industry, just as you've done with your genetic search. After my dealings, and yes to all your questions....been in this industry for years, I pulled a background and criminal check. To be compared as a broker, to this individual, would give any real broker, and I know many, a stroke....and to deal with a sanctioned member is perpetuating business, not being civic minded or following rules of the registry they are involved.

We all know things like that come back to haunt one someday.....

This is a person who sells horses, who is sanctioned and is not, according to that sanction allowed to be an agent, ie, broker, trader, saleman, not allowed to breed or register within those registries, but others have helped him bend the rules......unfortunate.

THAT SAID, this is off subject....started with HYPP, then a comparison between genetic defects and the pro's (money) and cons (having to destroy or deceive and hide the defect to sell) of producing horses with ASD or HYPP.....it's interesting and informative....keep going....

Last edited:

SouthernMdRocks

happyappygirl said:
The black stallion you use also carries Red, and is from parents who, one of which carries silver, whichis why you get lovely chocolate (silver black) foals, which are probably heterozygous silver, although you haven't had them DNA'd have you? (Your baby and the stallion are nice BTW!!) AND the stallion you use also carries Sabino, which is another ball of wax, but your mare doesn't carry Sabino, having produced nice foals with minimal white. :yay:

That is correct, Cheyenne carries a red gene and I think he might carry Sabino, but with Foxie, she always seems to have very little white if any at all on her babies.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Carefulone said:
If you know the person I'm speaking of, and have, or have not dealth with the business, but just because you're starting a new breeding operation, then maybe you should do the same investagative work on the horse salesman in our industry, just as you've done with your genetic search. After my dealings, and yes to all your questions....been in this industry for years, I pulled a background and criminal check. To be compared as a broker, to this individual, would give any real broker, and I know many, a stroke....and to deal with a sanctioned member is perpetuating business, not being civic minded or following rules of the registry they are involved.

We all know things like that come back to haunt one someday.....

This is a person who sells horses, who is sanctioned and is not, according to that sanction allowed to be an agent, ie, broker, trader, saleman, not allowed to breed or register within those registries, but others have helped him bend the rules......unfortunate.
A competent pre-purchase vet exam didn't show cloudy lenses in the horse you purchased? I'm not sure what you mean..."sanctioned person"? Do you mean banned? Are you certain it's "all 3 registries"?

And what is your horses' registered name? Did i miss that?

Last edited:

Carefulone

This had absolutely nothing to do with cloudy eyes, I don't even know if the horse had eyes, never got it, never saw the vet exam, (everything I talk about I have in writing....) just bought something I never received, someone else did though.......the horse with cloudy eyes , catarats , I did receive....the vet exam done by the farm vet, not a good idea people.....

Again, and this is for everyone, call the registries and check for sanctions before you put good money out for horses that were someone elses throw aways....but a good talker tells you it's the best money can buy....kinda like a RV salesman....