I give up, why do people behave this way?

officeguy

You might be surprised what effects a departing NAVAIR would have on this area. Even if you do not think you are involved. I am also in the same situation as you regarding my ties to PAX however, I would hate to see how this county (especially the southern end) would fare if they were to relocate. It would get very bad, very fast.

Yup.

St Mary's would turn into an appalachian mountain town after the mines and the textile mill close. It's a Cascade of tumbling real estate prices, diminishing property tax receipts and deteriorating schools. Whether one works on the base or not makes no difference.

This place would be an economic desert if the base left. No interstate, no rail, no internet connectivity, high energy cost, atrocious business climate = no compelling reason for anyone to locate a business here.

phreddyp

I have rental property in Baltimore. I spent over a month renovating one of my properties and I miss the simple convenience that you have there. For example Nat gas, trash service and water/sewage comes standard. I would have 1000000 retail stores within a mile from the house. Oh, and people are very easy to talk to and approach. I remember after repainting my LR one summer night, I walked outside and striked up a convo with some random neighbor who I don't know. I talked about the work I was doing, shoot the crap and he didn't give a crap about who I was, the paint on my hands or the dirty clothes I was wearing. Very "down-to-earth" people.....
Maybe you should take the rental off the market and move in .

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

My personal favorite is all the people who complain that there is congestion and "too many people moving in and making it less rural" and "ruining the country lifestyle" are often the same people who don't realize that their home and land that used to be worth $50K is now worth $400K because of those same people :lmao:
Why, that can't possibly be true. For many, many, years, we were told that the need for new housing was for, "the children", aka, the children of current residents. They needed affordable housing so they could safely move from their parents and yet stay in Calvert. As well as for the chosen few class: Police, teachers, county workers, who received special consideration and purchase assistance at tax payer expense. So all those new homes must have been bought up by then current citizens of Calvert, right?

Spitfire

But that will be an issue for you guys. Because I'll convert the property here into a rental and move in another expat.

Greetings:

Just be sure to find someone whose surname is Broome, Dorsey, or Dare and no one will know they are expats.

If that doesn’t work Mattingly, Bailey, Banagan, Hall, Raley, Boyd are all St Mary’s County OG and should be fine in Calvert.

nutz

Greetings:

Just be sure to find someone whose surname is Broome, Dorsey, or Dare and no one will know they are expats.

If that doesn’t work Mattingly, Bailey, Banagan, Hall, Raley, Boyd are all St Mary’s County OG and should be fine in Calvert.
No Lucas, Dement or Quade (Quaid)? You must be an implant too

phreddyp

But that will be an issue for you guys. Because I'll convert the property here into a rental and move in another expat.
Then you'll have two rentals in Baltimore and one in Calvert ? You then will be ripe for the picking . 1st rule for landlords is to be able to supervise your properties often . Just wait until you have to remove some lowlife from one of them then you will get the full idea of what its like to be a landlord in MD. Enjoy !

steppinthrax

Greetings:

Or the surname is Weems or Fowler. Or pretty much any living descendants who has a road name.

Spitfire

Or the surname is Weems or Fowler. Or pretty much any living descendants who has a road name.

Greetings:

Yea, I am St Mary’s OG and was struggling to think of all the Calvert County OG surnames. Road names is a good guide.

I left SMC 32 years ago and recently returned after retirement, and after being away for so long I can sympathize with your comments to a certain extent. But I will say that different social groups will be different. I know a few people in the 7th District Optimist Club and their attitude is, we don’t care who you are or where you are from. You want to be part of the community and contribute, you will be embraced as a local.

Other social circles might have a far different take. I get it.

steppinthrax

Then you'll have two rentals in Baltimore and one in Calvert ? You then will be ripe for the picking . 1st rule for landlords is to be able to supervise your properties often . Just wait until you have to remove some lowlife from one of them then you will get the full idea of what its like to be a landlord in MD. Enjoy !

I think you are making some assumptions here on who you are dealing with. You know I didn't grow up as a country boy!!!!

I've been a landlord for 9 years (as long as I've lived here). I've dealt with and managed "Failure to pay" rent, suing for small claims, garnishing paychecks, hunting people down, private processing.

I once had a tenant leave the place in a mess and walked out w/o paying the last month's rent. She somehow thought I would not find out where she lives. I went down to my place and began fixing it. While there I started talking to neighbors who eventually gave me a general idea. When I do a rent application I obtain the vehicle they drive as well as the License plate Number. After I did a bunch of renovations I went from neighborhood to neighborhood to neighborhood until I found her vehicle.

Long story short she got fired from her job at the dentist office after I got a judgement against her and I was serving her employer for wage garnishment!!! It was obviously wrong for them to do this, but my suspicion is she had other problems. Anyway, I was all paid up at her next employer. She was working for a larger company, so they didn't care and they took from her first paycheck.

phreddyp

I think you are making some assumptions here on who you are dealing with. You know I didn't grow up as a country boy!!!!

I've been a landlord for 9 years (as long as I've lived here). I've dealt with and managed "Failure to pay" rent, suing for small claims, garnishing paychecks, hunting people down, private processing.

I once had a tenant leave the place in a mess and walked out w/o paying the last month's rent. She somehow thought I would not find out where she lives. I went down to my place and began fixing it. While there I started talking to neighbors who eventually gave me a general idea. When I do a rent application I obtain the vehicle they drive as well as the License plate Number. After I did a bunch of renovations I went from neighborhood to neighborhood to neighborhood until I found her vehicle.

Long story short she got fired from her job at the dentist office after I got a judgement against her and I was serving her employer for wage garnishment!!! It was obviously wrong for them to do this, but my suspicion is she had other problems. Anyway, I was all paid up at her next employer. She was working for a larger company, so they didn't care and they took from her first paycheck.
Hey bro you had a tenant who left , that's not much of a problem . I posted about one that YOU have to REMOVE . Of course you would have to have some reading comprehension skills to understand that .