I have to boast...

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I have to go play in the sunshine. I feel sorry for all of you stuck in an office. Your paycheck is much better though. :razz:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
smoothmarine187 said:
I was going to highlight certain points and laugh....but there are just way to many things in here. The two that I did highlight are my favorites though. Who would have known........6th place is the new first. 6th place to me......is the 5th loser.

Here Smoov, these are the one that jumped out at me...

Sadielady said:
You go to horse shows to demonstrate the skills you have been working on at home. We go to decent Schooling shows to see how we measure up to other riders in the area and see what we need to work on for the rated shows. I watched Katie and she had a lot of nice horses in her class. SHe did great. 6th place up there equates to 1st place down at the shows here most days. Obviously the person doesn't know about horses and it is kind of a mute point, except for that it was rude. I am sure their parenting skills are just as poor, God forbid, they have reproduced. :smack:
I hate teaching people who are all about winning. You set your personal goals and aim for them. A goal may be " I want to get all my leads and diagonals" or "I want to get all of my distances". If you win that is bonus, but it is a subjective sport and there are a lot of very nice rated showing horses at these schooling shows that are difficult to beat. That just makes it more fun if you win. Congrats Katie! We all had a great show. We were home by 9PM this time! :razz:

Oh god my sides hurt! :killingme :lmao:

Yeah I suppose the "best" parents teach their children to be mediocre, right? "Strive to be average little johnny!!!" I'm sorry what was that you were saying about parenting skills? Something about instilling values?
:killingme :lmao:

Subjective sport?!?! What does that mean??? I know a lot of you fru fru people won't like this but... If an activity is subjective (i.e. the criteria for winning is open to interpretation) that activity isn't a sport. It's a popularity contest!

I don't know horses, but I DO know competition!

smoothmarine187

Lugnut said:
Here Smoov, these are the one that jumped out at me...

Oh god my sides hurt! :killingme :lmao:

Yeah I suppose the "best" parents teach their children to be mediocre, right? "Strive to be average little johnny!!!" I'm sorry what was that you were saying about parenting skills? Something about instilling values?
:killingme :lmao:

Subjective sport?!?! What does that mean??? I know a lot of you fru fru people won't like this but... If an activity is subjective (i.e. the criteria for winning is open to interpretation) that activity isn't a sport. It's a popularity contest!

I don't know horses, but I DO know competition!

:lmao: :roflmao: I can't believe you didn't even tell them about your prize winning cow. Don't be ashamed of Betsy!

Owltree

Katie said:
Today I took Ashton to SMHA show up at PGEC.

We took 3 6th place ribbons. One of our classes had 19 people in it, and he was a total angel. He did have some spunk, but nothing that was real noticeable. He just wanted to trot. In the ring he stood nicely in the lineup, outside the ring he wouldn't stand in one place.

I am SO very proud of him. He is such a wonderful horse, and we are improving and will get there.

:yay: Nice going!!! :yay:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Lugnut said:
:shrug: I'm modest. :biggrin:
I think your name says it all, lugnut. I guarantee if you took a few lessons (atleast in the hunter/jumper world you would change your mind). It takes a lot more talent and athletic ability to ride a horse over a course of fences than drive a car in a circle. :razz:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Katie said:
Yup. There is nothing wrong with being 6th place out of 19 other horses. It isn't like there was 6 horses in there. I would not even say a word if that was the case.

This was my negative karma by the way:

You are boasting about 6th place? Did you and your horse go to the competition in a short bus both wearing helmets and licking the windows? 6th place, you could have taken a stuffed horse in there and done better than that.

Such wonderful karma, I'm sure the person that sent that nasty karma knows about the short bus close up and personal.....

SouthernMdRocks

Lugnut said:
Goals are essential. That's not what we're talking about here.

EVERY driver that gets on the track WANTS to win. Have you ever seen a driver "boast" about "winning" 6th place?

Ever seen a boxer, wrestler, sprinter, or any other competitor that was HAPPY about losing?

No reason to be ashamed of losing. Losses are part of life and an opportunity to learn something. But they're not a reason to celebrate.

Placing is winning, seeing all the work you're putting into your horse pay off even if gradual is winning..maybe next time will be 5th or better...not all people have to be number one all the time to feel like a winner.

SouthernMdRocks

Sadielady said:
You go to horse shows to demonstrate the skills you have been working on at home. We go to decent Schooling shows to see how we measure up to other riders in the area and see what we need to work on for the rated shows. I watched Katie and she had a lot of nice horses in her class. SHe did great. 6th place up there equates to 1st place down at the shows here most days. Obviously the person doesn't know about horses and it is kind of a mute point, except for that it was rude. I am sure their parenting skills are just as poor, God forbid, they have reproduced. :smack:
I hate teaching people who are all about winning. You set your personal goals and aim for them. A goal may be " I want to get all my leads and diagonals" or "I want to get all of my distances". If you win that is bonus, but it is a subjective sport and there are a lot of very nice rated showing horses at these schooling shows that are difficult to beat. That just makes it more fun if you win. Congrats Katie! We all had a great show. We were home by 9PM this time! :razz:

My goal this year is to make it into at least one show ring!!! :killingme

SouthernMdRocks

smoothmarine187 said:
I was going to highlight certain points and laugh....but there are just way to many things in here. The two that I did highlight are my favorites though. Who would have known........6th place is the new first. 6th place to me......is the 5th loser.

And are you the expert loser here?? :shrug:

K

Katie

SouthernMdRocks said:
I'm going!!!! Now I gotta figure out to where... :razz:

Hmm...people wear a nice outfit. Babies you don't have to dress up in your discipline.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
SouthernMdRocks said:
Placing is winning... not all people have to be number one all the time to feel like a winner.

OH!!! So it's about "feelings!" Sheesh why dint you say so...

Horse people... :rolleyes:

SouthernMdRocks

Lugnut said:
OH!!! So it's about "feelings!" Sheesh why dint you say so...

Horse people... :rolleyes:

You do have those don't you?? Why comment on it if you can only be anal about the subject...Yes "horse people". :popcorn:

showqueen74

I don't know horses, but I DO know competition![/QUOTE]

Many sports are subjective....any sport where there is a judge, and not a stopwatch will be a subjective sport. The judge is giving their opnion-3 judges looking at the same 19 horses are not going to place them the same.

As a child I was out for blood, so to speak, each time that I showed, I wanted to WIN!! What kid dosn't? (please don't answer that) Now as an adult returning to the sport, like Katie, I don't judge my success by the color of the ribbion, or the opnion of the judge, but rather by the performance in my own mind.

Last edited:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Duckz said:
:howdy: Congrats Katie! It sounds like you've brought Ashton a long way -- good for you!

Hey Katie, anytime you have a better show then the last you've had a good day. Sounds like Ashton is getting more and more consistent. Great job. :howdy:

S

saddlesore

smoothmarine187 said:
What you said didn't make any sense. 6th place in that show would have been a first place an some other show :lol:. How do you know that? There may have been some super stallions at the other show. The kind that sell their semen for like 100 grand an oz.......You have to step up and be 1st everywhere you go!

Uh, the super stallions selling their semen would not be in the same class. Do you know anything about equestrian showing, Mr. (Not So) Smooth Marine? The reason it is somewhat subjective, and that earning 6th place does, in fact, mean anything, is because each discipline encompasses so many different facets. It is more than just being the swiftest (for that, watch the Triple Crown!). How well does the rider negotiate the course? How good is her equitation? Can she/he cue the horse and control the horse, get the horse to do what's needed in a safe, competent manner? How well could you control a 1200 lb animal, with finesse, over a course of fences SmoothMarine? Let's see it!

A showing of 6 out of 19 shows where your ability is at that moment. It tells you what you need to work on, your strengths and weaknesses, as well as those of your horse.

Sheesh - does the Bronze Medal not count in the Olympics? It is -after all- only 3rd place. :coffee: