I have to boast...

smoothmarine187

saddlesore said:
Uh, the super stallions selling their semen would not be in the same class. Do you know anything about equestrian showing, Mr. (Not So) Smooth Marine? The reason it is somewhat subjective, and that earning 6th place does, in fact, mean anything, is because each discipline encompasses so many different facets. It is more than just being the swiftest (for that, watch the Triple Crown!). How well does the rider negotiate the course? How good is her equitation? Can she/he cue the horse and control the horse, get the horse to do what's needed in a safe, competent manner? How well could you control a 1200 lb animal, with finesse, over a course of fences SmoothMarine? Let's see it!

A showing of 6 out of 19 shows where your ability is at that moment. It tells you what you need to work on, your strengths and weaknesses, as well as those of your horse.

Sheesh - does the Bronze Medal not count in the Olympics? It is -after all- only 3rd place. :coffee:

:lol: I could care less about horses, I guess I have evolved, I need something more than just 1 horsepower. Anyway, the point we were trying to make was that you should never be excited with anything other than 1st place! If you are not first, then you lost, plain and simple. You can however be happy that you performed better than you did the last time, but by no means should you be excited unless you are number 1!

smoothmarine187

have to boast... 05-01-2007 07:42 AM Does it make you feel better about yourself to bash a kid who is proud of herself (and rightfully so) for doing well in a competition? What a big man you are. It is so very easy to say something nasty when you hide behind a screen name.

Thanks BusterDuck, Maybe you should quit hiding behind your computer and sign your red Karma :lol:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
smoothmarine187 said:
:lol: I could care less about horses, I guess I have evolved, I need something more than just 1 horsepower. Anyway, the point we were trying to make was that you should never be excited with anything other than 1st place! If you are not first, then you lost, plain and simple. You can however be happy that you performed better than you did the last time, but by no means should you be excited unless you are number 1!
What you really meant is that you don't want to ride something that has a mind of its own right? If that's the case I can assume that you aren't married. If you aren't married you should probably stay away from this forum because most "horse women" have minds of their own and are willing to stand up for what they believe in. Maybe you should go back to the racing forum to cheer for all the losers that crash. We definitely don't do that around here. Most of us support each other, but we do add the drama every now and then to make it exciting.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
How much $$$ do you win for sixth place.. and to get that kind of return how much did you have to invest??

Cost of Horse?

Feed?

Vet Bills?

Training?

How would we go about betting on in the next competition? And where would I put my money for 6th place?

I know there is Win (1st Place) Place (2nd place) and Show (third place) what would 6th be? Showed Up?

Is this like the "esteem" trophies we give kids in little league for participating.. we don't want to hurt anyones self esteem, so we are going to give EVERYONE a trophy!

OK, I think I'm done now, I maybe back with more later..

smoothmarine187

Sadielady said:
What you really meant is that you don't want to ride something that has a mind of its own right? If that's the case I can assume that you aren't married. If you aren't married you should probably stay away from this forum because most "horse women" have minds of their own and are willing to stand up for what they believe in. Maybe you should go back to the racing forum to cheer for all the losers that crash. We definitely don't do that around here. Most of us support each other, but we do add the drama every now and then to make it exciting.

:lol: That's why I just stick to blow up dolls.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
itsbob said:
How much $$$ do you win for sixth place.. and to get that kind of return how much did you have to invest??

Cost of Horse?

Feed?

Vet Bills?

Training?

How would we go about betting on in the next competition? And where would I put my money for 6th place?

I know there is Win (1st Place) Place (2nd place) and Show (third place) what would 6th be? Showed Up?

Is this like the "esteem" trophies we give kids in little league for participating.. we don't want to hurt anyones self esteem, so we are going to give EVERYONE a trophy!

:smack:

Cut that out Bob, you're gonna hurt somebodys Feelings :rolleyes:

smoothmarine187

itsbob said:

Cost of Horse?

Feed?

Vet Bills?

Training?

:lol: :roflmao: fight it if you want.......but we think alike damnit!

S

saddlesore

itsbob said:

Cost of Horse?

Feed?

Vet Bills?

Training?

Ah, but you miss the point, Bob. It's not about the $$! It's a partnership. The difference between stock car racing, golf, football, etc., and horseback riding isi that a horse is a feeling, sentient being. We can't really force a 1200 lb animal to do something it doesn't want to do. We develop a partnership with it.

True, there are ribbon chasers who are only concerned with winning, as is true in any sport. But for the rest of us, we don't show for our self-esteem. We show for other reasons: for one, the experience - shows and clinics push you a little further. Sort of like running a 10K when you've only trained 4 miles. They can also get you over a training plateau. Also, shows & clinics expose you to qualified judges, so it gives you a good idea of where you are in reaching your goals. That "6th place" shows where you are in the pack. It is a ranking.

I couldn't care less about the ribbon, but I like knowing specifically what I need to work on. And the reason I have goals is to get my horse in the best condition possible. It's like going to the gym: you do your weights; cardiovascular; and flexibility exercises. You need all 3, right? Same with a horse. And the shows/clinics tell me how we're doing. Not so different from playing in tennis matches, really.

But if this isn't really your thing, why are you and Marine even on this forum? Let us have our fun!

barncat

itsbob said:

Cost of Horse?

Feed?

Vet Bills?

Training?

Bob if I remember correctly you ride a bike, correct? Why do you go out for leisure rides on your bike? You enjoy it right? Kinda like why we compete our horses, we enjoy the training, going out and having an opportunity to show what we have accomplished and the atmosphere and people that we meet at shows.

With horses there are so many variables that will affect your horse at a competition, it could almost be like riding a totally different animal then the one a person is used to at home. I had one that was lovely at home and gave no indication that she would behave differently at a show but I could not get the animal to move in a straight line with the majority of her hooves on the ground for the life of me when I took her to her first competition. Most horses need exposure to a show seen with all the new horses, loud speakers and large amounts of people so they can learn how to act "normal" at a show, so people start them at smaller shows where it's not a real dent in the wallet to get the exposure. I've spent over $500 to have to withdraw/retire/get eliminated, crap happens sometimes. I've also spent the same amount and won. It was all fun and if I had the time I would do it all over again.

smoothmarine187

saddlesore said:
We can't really force a 1200 lb animal to do something it doesn't want to do. We develop a partnership with it.

Please, I do that everytime I pee in the bathroom. :lol:

saddlesore said:
But if this isn't really your thing, why are you and Marine even on this forum? Let us have our fun!

The mediocre attitude is starting to rub off on me anyway.......I'm outta here.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
saddlesore said:
Sheesh - does the Bronze Medal not count in the Olympics? It is -after all- only 3rd place. :coffee:

How many olympic medalists have you met? How many have you trained with? :lmao: Lady, you have NO idea what you're talking about here.

Sadielady said:
I think your name says it all, lugnut. I guarantee if you took a few lessons (atleast in the hunter/jumper world you would change your mind). It takes a lot more talent and athletic ability to ride a horse over a course of fences than drive a car in a circle. :razz:

You think riding a horse would make me change my mind about the definition of winning?!

Athletic ability? So... How fast can you run a mile? :popcorn:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
barncat said:
Bob if I remember correctly you ride a bike, correct? Why do you go out for leisure rides on your bike? You enjoy it right? Kinda like why we compete our horses, we enjoy the training, going out and having an opportunity to show what we have accomplished and the atmosphere and people that we meet at shows.

With horses there are so many variables that will affect your horse at a competition, it could almost be like riding a totally different animal then the one a person is used to at home. I had one that was lovely at home and gave no indication that she would behave differently at a show but I could not get the animal to move in a straight line with the majority of her hooves on the ground for the life of me when I took her to her first competition. Most horses need exposure to a show seen with all the new horses, loud speakers and large amounts of people so they can learn how to act "normal" at a show, so people start them at smaller shows where it's not a real dent in the wallet to get the exposure. I've spent over $500 to have to withdraw/retire/get eliminated, crap happens sometimes. I've also spent the same amount and won. It was all fun and if I had the time I would do it all over again.
This more fun than the religion forum.. i should come in here and pick on you horsey people more often!!

personally, my idea of a GOOD competition would be.. Have the rider take the horse through the course, then have the rider dismount, and have them run around and jump fences, run through puddles.. Add the two times, and THEN determine the winner.. THAT would be fun to watch.

barncat

itsbob said:
This more fun than the religion forum.. i should come in here and pick on you horsey people more often!!

personally, my idea of a GOOD competition would be.. Have the rider take the horse through the course, then have the rider dismount, and have them run around and jump fences, run through puddles.. Add the two times, and THEN determine the winner.. THAT would be fun to watch.

You and my dad think alike, he used to say the same thing to me, even caught him on tape saying it while he was taping my ride. My horse has been a gentleman on some occassions and let me jump the fence by myself, does that count towards the fun factor. Oh and he let me take a bath in front of a large crowd a few times.

K

Katie

Lugnut said:
How many olympic medalists have you met?

Um..let me count: 4

I trained with a olympic medalist in my horse back riding, and I trained with 3 in my archery shooting. So HOW many have you met and trained with?

Lugnut said:
You think riding a horse would make me change my mind about the definition of winning?!

Athletic ability? So... How fast can you run a mile? :popcorn:

And how many time have you ridden a bike over 100 miles in a day? OH let's count how many times I have. 3 times in the last 3 years.

Every sport takes a different set of muscles to use.

Also I really don't give an darn what anyone who isn't involved in horses thinks of me being proud of my ribbons. None of them know my horse's history and what he has accomplished in the short amount of time that I have ridden him. He has done an amazing transistion from where he was. Not everyone would have the patience to work with a horse like him, so the little victories really mean something to me. Anyone who has ridden a difficult horse knows exactly what I am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

smoothmarine187

Ahem, Just a quick recap 1st place is the winner.......the rest are just losers. That's the bottom line. No matter what sport you're in.........

K

Katie

smoothmarine187 said:
Ahem, Just a quick recap 1st place is the winner.......the rest are just losers. That's the bottom line. No matter what sport you're in.........

It is all a matter of opinion, and honestly your opinion means absolutely nothing to me.

smoothmarine187

Katie said:
It is all a matter of opinion, and honestly your opinion means absolutely nothing to me.

Your the type of person that would join the coast guard or the Air Force and think that you are #1 :lol: :razz:

My opinion :confused: I'm pretty sure that everyone agree's that if your are not number 1, then you are a loser. You horsey people are a strange bunch.