Individual rights vs Ebola Quarintines

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm sorry, if I am forcibly detained you can be da#$ sure I'm going to want to speak with a lawyer.

She wasn't detained, she wasn't under arrest, and you can want anything you want, doesn't mean you have a right to it.. I want a friggin Lamborghini.. you better go get me one!!

luvmygdaughters

Okay, Africa has had the ebola virus for years. Seems like every few years there is a resurgence of it in areas. THis is not the first time American doctors, nurses and other healthcare providers have been over there treating the ill. BUt, this is the first time the virus has successfully made its way to the US. My question would be, what are we doing differently now then we did before?

Amused_despair

She wasn't detained, she wasn't under arrest, and you can want anything you want, doesn't mean you have a right to it.. I want a friggin Lamborghini.. you better go get me one!!

She wasn't detained? So she was free to walk out of her mandatory quarintine? If someone is not free to leave then they are detained. I guess it is OK if the goivernemnt locks us up if we speak out againt the government and calls it "protective quarantine"? You may be trusting of government, I do not share your optimism, no matter what party is in power.

Tech

Most states have laws that can forcibly isolate persons with communicable diseases. it just can not be made up on the fly like it appears the Feds are doing. You are entitled to due process which is the government following the laws and enforcing them evenly.

terbear1225

clearly you and I have a different definition of detained.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
clearly you and I have a different definition of detained.

What is the difference between detention and arrest?

Common Reasons for Detention
In a typical detention scenario, law enforcement officers will temporarily stop a person in a public place without transporting the person to another location, for the purpose of (1) requiring the person to justify his presence and activity in the location and (2) to identify himself. For example, if the police see a man loitering or otherwise acting suspicious around an area of town that is known for drug sales, they may detain him for further questioning. If while detaining him, the police have reasonable suspicion that he may be dangerous, the stop may be accompanied by a “patdown” search for weapons. This does not mean that the police can immediately reach into pockets or search a bag without permission. However, if the police feel a “bulge” that they believe could be a weapon, they may reach in to grab it in order to protect themselves.

Other legal methods of searching during a detention include using a metal detector, a drug-sniffing dog, or a computer search to determine if the individual has any outstanding warrants for their arrest. A detention stop enables law enforcement officers, with minimal upset to public tranquility and intrusion into personal rights, to determine whether they should arrest a suspect, investigate further, or take no action because their initial suspicion proved groundless. Further, because the intrusion into personal rights is minimal in a detention, the police do not have to inform an individual of their rights or give Miranda warnings.

Read more: http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/...d_searches/arrest-detention.htm#ixzz3HSfFZmYl
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @FreeAdviceNews on Twitter | freeadvice on Facebook

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
BREAKING: Ebola Nurse’s Ties to CDC Scrubbed From Website – Is Far Left Progressive & Obama Supporter

Well, what a surprise!

The Ebola nurse who attacked Governor Christie for putting her in quarantine after returning from Africa is a Progressive with ties to the CDC.

Her LinkedIn profile was scrubbed this weekend.
Natural News reported:

Kaci Hickox, the nurse who was quarantined in New Jersey over her high risk status as a possible Ebola carrier, has ties to the CDC which have been deliberately hidden by the mainstream media.

Right now, a war is waging between states like New Jersey, New York and Illinois — which have all decided to quarantine travelers at high risk of Ebola infections — and the federal government which is adamantly opposed to border security, medical quarantines and travel bans.

Kaci Hickox emerged in the center of this debate just yesterday when she complained of being “interrogated” and held in violation of her civil rights. Kaci’s LinkedIn.com profile, which described her links to the CDC, was scrubbed from the web earlier today, and even Google cache has strangely been cleared of her profile which previously detailed her ties to the CDC.

The now-famous DallasNews.com article [1] which published Hickox’s complaints failed to mention the nurse’s ties to the CDC.

It turns out that Kaci Hickox is a registered democrat and Obama supporter who works for the CDC. “The nurse currently quarantined in New Jersey is an employee for the Centers for Disease Control and a registered Democrat with a history of left-wing advocacy,” reports GotNews.com.

Here’s a look at Kaci Hickox’s LinkedIn account before it was scrubbed clean.

:gossip:

#Ebola Nurse Complaining About Quarantine is Left-Wing Democrat, CDC Employee WITH UPDATE

She co-wrote an anti-pharmaceutical industry op-ed for the Baltimore Sun and advocated against policies that would have developed life-saving drugs. Instead, she called on Johns Hopkins to make all discoveries accessible to the poor. In so arguing, she deprived drug companies of a market and therefore an incentive to develop drugs aimed at Third World populations.

“We ask that new drugs developed from publicly-funded research be made available and affordable to the world’s most vulnerable,” Hickox wrote with several other students. “Without such a policy, our knowledge is only being shared with the wealthy.”

Hichox’s employer, the CDC, strenuously opposes a travel ban or quarantine but Hickox’s employment wasn’t disclosed in the Dallas Morning News article.

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket

“We ask that new drugs developed from publicly-funded research be made available and affordable to the world’s most vulnerable,” Hickox wrote with several other students.

Completely off topic, but I kind of agree with this. Not so much making available to the world's most vunerable, but to the US taxpayer. I have always had a problem with drug companies charging insane prices for drugs developed on the taxpayers dime. If you develop a new amazing drug using your own money, then charge what you want, but if the taxpayer is footing the bill for the research, then we need to get that drug at a significantly discounted price. JMHO. :shrug:

Midnightrider

#Ebola Nurse Complaining About Quarantine is Left-Wing Democrat, CDC Employee WITH UPDATE

She co-wrote an anti-pharmaceutical industry op-ed for the Baltimore Sun and advocated against policies that would have developed life-saving drugs. Instead, she called on Johns Hopkins to make all discoveries accessible to the poor. In so arguing, she deprived drug companies of a market and therefore an incentive to develop drugs aimed at Third World populations.

“We ask that new drugs developed from publicly-funded research be made available and affordable to the world’s most vulnerable,” Hickox wrote with several other students. “Without such a policy, our knowledge is only being shared with the wealthy.”

Hichox’s employer, the CDC, strenuously opposes a travel ban or quarantine but Hickox’s employment wasn’t disclosed in the Dallas Morning News article.

Help me understand why where she works or her political affiliation makes a difference. I am not seeing it. If she hadn't been detained this would have never become a story.

rdytogo

More Americans have died from drone strikes than from Ebola.

Lets talk about this when things actually get bad.

4,912 people have died this year from ebola. I'd say that's pretty bad. The POTENTIAL rapid spread of this disease is why we should be cautious. I do believe if there were a wide spread outbreak in this country, those here who are complaining about the precautions would be the same people complaining about the lack of action on the government's part.

This is pretty bad.

Chris0nllyn

4,912 people have died this year from ebola. I'd say that's pretty bad. The POTENTIAL rapid spread of this disease is why we should be cautious. I do believe if there were a wide spread outbreak in this country, those here who are complaining about the precautions would be the same people complaining about the lack of action on the government's part.

This is pretty bad.

More people have died from Cholera in Haiti, 6,631 to be exact. 284,000 died from the Swine Flu...remember that? Or the Asian Flu that killed 2,000,000 people in 1 year? Not to mention the 39,000,000 that have died from AIDS since the 1960s.

I'm not saying that it's not bad, in Africa. I'm saying that it's not bad here.

If we should be cautious based on POTENTIAL, you're opening the door to things that have the potential to be much worse than Ebola.

Last edited:

rdytogo

More people have died from Cholera in Haiti. 284,000 died from the Swine Flu...remember that?

I'm not saying that it's not bad, in Africa. I'm saying that it's not bad here.

If we should be cautious based on POTENTIAL, you're opening the door to things that have the potential to be much worse than Ebola.

Such as?

terbear1225

Try quarantined.. not detained.

"de·tain
dəˈtān/
verb
verb: detain; 3rd person present: detains; past tense: detained; past participle: detained; gerund or present participle: detaining

keep (someone) in official custody, typically for questioning about a crime or in politically sensitive situations.
"she was detained without trial for two years"
synonyms: hold, take into custody, take (in), confine, imprison, lock up, put in jail, intern; More
arrest, apprehend, seize;
informalpick up, run in, haul in, nab, collar
"they were detained for questioning"
antonyms: release
keep (someone) from proceeding; hold back.
"she made to open the door, but he detained her"
synonyms: delay, hold up, make late, keep, slow up/down;
hinder, hamper, impede, obstruct"

Midnightrider

Exactly my point.. There is no right to an attorney.. in fact there are no spelled out rights for somebody being quarantined. Miranda or other wise..

actually all of your constitutional rights apply...... none of them have a 'quarantine clause'

rdytogo

Off the top of my head?

Malaria, Tuberculosis, Yellow Fever, Pertussis, Flu, Meningitis, SARS, Measles, etc.

Sure, we have the treatment for most of these, but they all have the potential to be bad.

Could you tell me where there are outbreaks of any of these diseases which are killing 5000 people this year? I haven't heard of any. In reference to your earlier edit. What's with the straw man argument. You do know how you get cholera right? You do understand the difference between aids and ebola and the manner in which both can be transmitted correct? Swine flu? Killed two in all of the 2014. I'm sorry for you to understand this is at epidemic levels but it is. Can you honestly say if there were 100,000 Americans effected with ebola you wouldn't be angry at the government for not doing something? Quarentine laws have been in place for hundreds of years, and have been found to be legal since 1824. That is why we are a country which learns from our mistakes to try to protect those who won't protect themselves.