Is all of this even legal??

RPMDAD

Turkey season starts in like 3 weeks. Doesn't get any more distant than sitting in the woods. Hopefully DNR doesn't change anything regarding hunting.
I don't know, they have already outlawed fishing and boating to private citizens.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
My sense is that, citing a public health emergency and applying the relevant laws, what's going on IS legal. For the time being. Am I absolutely certain that "the time being" won't be extended past the emergency? Nope. But I guess we'll see. For now, though, I am okay with what's going on.

--- End of line (MCP)
.....but where does it stop?
........Taking a shower
........Having a drink
.........Mowing your lawn
..........Planting a garden
..........hunting on your own property
..........eating more than one meal a day
..........using more that two squares of TP per sitting
.........etc.
..........all in the guise this is an emergency

Scat

.And now? If you violate that "6 foot guidance" in some places, maybe nearly all places, you can now be arrested, or fined? Over some arbitrary guidance BS? Show me the law passed by any legislature giving an elected person the power to authorize such a thing.

A free people ignore unauthorized illegal edicts, decrees.
if I get ticketed, jailed or fined I get a court appearance and, if necessary, an appeals process. Until it lands in the courts and decisions are made, its all legal.

RPMDAD

Where is that posted?

Sorry it was for boating.

Under the executive order, no Marylander should leave their home except for an essential reason. Therefore, recreational boating is not allowed. Limited hunting and limited recreational fishing and crabbing can continue to provide sustenance, however social distancing must be adhered to strictly. No permits for fishing tournaments, including virtual tournaments, will be issued by the department until further notice. Commercial fishing is deemed essential and may continue since it is part of the food supply chain.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
People are letting this go in the short term,because they believe it is the best thing to do to contain this virus.
But in the long term it aint going to work.

Give it a month or 2 and people will start disobeying the restrictions and the restrictions will stop or the S will htf
I think this same thing.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
.....but where does it stop?
Good question. Where does it stop? I guess we'll see.

I would like to think I understand the concerns of folks across the entire SARS-CoV-2 spectrum; that some see civil liberties as the enemy of COVID-19 containment while some see COVID-19 containment as the enemy of civil liberty. I don't dismiss out of hand either view.

What a conundrum! I share the concerns of both sides: I do not want the economy to be restarted at the expense of virus mitigation, but I also do not want to have measures put in place to kill the virus (such as those that have been put in place in South Korea, Singapore, etc.) at the expense of civil liberty. Both end states are, to me, unacceptable.

I don't think, however, that we need to accept this binary choice; I am a supporter of the third option. But what that third option looks like depends on the answer to your question. And we get the answer to your question based on our own individual "estimates of the situation."

My "EotS' is that this virus is serious business and that the death count will end up above (perhaps, far above) 100k.* However horrible the death count may be, I don't - to quote Trump - want the cure to be worse than the problem. So it's a balancing act. At this point, I think our national and state leaders are doing a good job balancing the "virus vs liberty" dilemma.

I readily acknowledge that my EotS could be wrong because my EotS may be unduly influenced by my (now retired) military worldview (where I presumably am more willing to accept the limiting of my civil liberties in the face of an emergency than someone who didn't spend a lifetime in the Big Green Machine).

Having said that, I don't like the country's slow slide into a security state. But this slide started long before SARS-CoV-2. Some would argue (and I find myself in general agreement) that technology is driving that slide. And given that we are addicted to our tech the slide is inevitable.

That there are some who seek to use this current crisis to accelerate the slide seems certain. I don't think these folks are limited to a particular political party (though I do think it predominates in one party more than the other). So even though I see national and state leaders more like Cincinnatus than Caesar - at this point - I don't think I'm being naive. Could be wrong. As such, I reserve the right to change my mind.

* One game I have no interest in playing is the one where the death count is only in the vicinity of 100k so critics ask the question if it was worth killing the nation's economy and suppressing civil liberties over something that was "only" four times worse the seasonal flu death count. The other game I have no interest in playing is the one where critics say 100k COVID-19 deaths (or whatever the count) is a criminally high body count and we should have done whatever it took to save everyone. Both games are ridiculously simplistic.

--- End of line (MCP)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
talking about legal or not, now starts the local govt insanity.....
https://forums.somd.com/threads/cal...cted-access-limited-to-residents-only.355622/
no fishing, no boat launch, no tennis courts. Any of those activities remotely connected to the spread of a virus?
I did 2 things today. Went fishing then went to the grocery store. I interacted with way less people fishing (0) than I did in the grocery store. I did my best to avoid as many people as possible but given the width of the store's aisles, that is impossible to do.

jrt_ms1995

Turkey season starts in like 3 weeks. Doesn't get any more distant than sitting in the woods. Hopefully DNR doesn't change anything regarding hunting.
Hunting will soon be the prerogative of our overlords; we'll have to resort to poaching, and the death sentence that comes with being caught at it.

Monello

PREMO Member
DNR said hunting for sustenance is okay. Good to go!
I read on a Maryland fishing FB page a guy was fishing in a catch and release area. DNR told him it was closed to fishing. But if he still wanted to fish, he had to go to a put and take fishing area. It seems if you fish for food that's OK, just can't fish for enjoyment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Give it a month or 2 and people will start disobeying the restrictions and the restrictions will stop or the S will htf

Think so?

People are disobeying the restrictions now and being threatened with jail, and the huddled masses are keening all over the internet against them. I have no doubt those people will become acclimated to their captivity and grow to hate anyone who disobeys the government overlords.

We also currently have people turning in their neighbors for disobeying the government - there was just another one in NJ where some Hitler Youth mama called the cops on her neighbor because they were having an engagement party.

If you think the Sheeple will revolt against their masters, you give them far more credit than they deserve. They should be revolting right now....and instead they're getting angry and violent toward anyone who exercises their rights under the Constitution.

mitzi

They should be revolting right now....and instead they're getting angry and violent toward anyone who exercises their rights under the Constitution.

You have made this statement several times and now I have to ask. What do you suggest people do to revolt?

Chris0nllyn

I read on a Maryland fishing FB page a guy was fishing in a catch and release area. DNR told him it was closed to fishing. But if he still wanted to fish, he had to go to a put and take fishing area. It seems if you fish for food that's OK, just can't fish for enjoyment.

That's my understanding of DNR's interpretation. Just make sure you keep a fish and if DNR asks, say you're sustenance fishing.

Monello

PREMO Member
* One game I have no interest in playing is the one where the death count is only in the vicinity of 100k so critics ask the question if it was worth killing the nation's economy and suppressing civil liberties over something that was "only" four times worse the seasonal flu death count. The other game I have no interest in playing is the one where critics say 100k COVID-19 deaths (or whatever the count) is a criminally high body count and we should have done whatever it took to save everyone. Both games are ridiculously simplistic.

I'm sure there are a few authors that are currently penning articles that address the 2 situations you mentioned above. Some of those writers covered both instances. The 1 common thread in all those articles will be blame for the President.

In some ways I look forward to reading them. I like to know which way a writer leans in their thinking. I have a few writers that I choose to ignore their slanted articles. When the dust settles on this virus, I expect to have a few more that go on ignore.

Clem72

I did 2 things today. Went fishing then went to the grocery store. I interacted with way less people fishing (0) than I did in the grocery store. I did my best to avoid as many people as possible but given the width of the store's aisles, that is impossible to do.

Food lion has pretty wide aisles now, maybe 6 ft or more.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You have made this statement several times and now I have to ask. What do you suggest people do to revolt?

Put their heads on a pike, of course.

j/k

Sort of.

But my real answer is:

Be civilly disobedient. Exercise your rights under the Constitution. Go where you want to go. Throw big fat honking parties. Keep your business open. Patronize a "non-essential" business. Go to the park with your kids. Go for a joyride. Tell those people to GFT and they can't do that chit in OUR United States of America. Egg that busybody neighbor's house until she - and it's almost always a she (even when it's technically a he) - fears us and our liberty more than a handful of government overlords.

They can't arrest all of us.

This is OUR country, not theirs. WE the People, not them the government fascists.

Go massive MLK on their asses. What are they gonna do about it?

If you fear getting sick and dying of this phantom virus, stay home. Who cares. But don't shame and guilt and beg freedom loving American citizens to do the same.

I'm not gonna lie, I can't wait for my very first arrest ever to be because I stood up for my rights as an American. I would be incredibly proud of that. Much better than because I got busted underage drinking or some lame thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's my understanding of DNR's interpretation. Just make sure you keep a fish and if DNR asks, say you're sustenance fishing.

So in other words lie to the authorities? Which is a real crime, while recreational fishing is not?