Jennifer @Red Robin

I know you frequent this tread which is why I posted my question here!!! :cds: How do I know if I use regular or synthetic?

Look it up online. Done. Or, call a dealership and ask. Done. Or, call a place like Auto Zone and ask. Done.

Or, tell us what the make, model and year of your car is and we'll look it up for you. Done.

You're welcome :wink:

Look it up online. Done. Or, call a dealership and ask. Done. Or, call a place like Auto Zone and ask. Done.

Or, tell us what the make, model and year of your car is and we'll look it up for you. Done.

You're welcome :wink:

But home-slice in my office said you could use both in most vehicles but you can't mix :jameo:

No one ever told me that!!! :cds:

This is too stressful. I am just going to have my husband deal with it before I have a nervous breakdown.:coffee:

But home-slice in my office said you could use both in most vehicles but you can't mix :jameo:

No one ever told me that!!! :cds:

This is too stressful. I am just going to have my husband deal with it before I have a nervous breakdown.:coffee:

You're making this way more stressful than it needs to be. Take a breath and listen to the people who are trying to help you :huggy:

SoMDGirl42

That was easy! :clap:

You should tell her how much it takes though, just in case.

shouldn't really matter how much it takes. She'd have to dip it to find out how much it *needs. If you overfill, it is as bad as underfilling it.

She really should not do this on her own. I love me some :WR: but we ARE talking about :wr:

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
That was easy! :clap:

You should tell her how much it takes though, just in case.

Check your oil dipstick with the engine off. Pull the stick, wipe it off, put it back in then check it. There is a fill line at the bottom of the stick, if the oil is up to that line, DO NOT ADD ANY OIL. If it is below the line, add one quart, let it sit for a few minutes and check it again.

shouldn't really matter how much it takes. She'd have to dip it to find out how much it *needs. If you overfill, it is as bad as underfilling it.

She really should not do this on her own. I love me some :WR: but we ARE talking about :wr:

Check your oil dipstick with the engine off. Pull the stick, wipe it off, put it back in then check it. There is a fill line at the bottom of the stick, if the oil is up to that line, DO NOT ADD ANY OIL. If it is below the line, add one quart, let it sit for a few minutes and check it again.

I was thinking more along the lines of if her husband changes it himself she might need to know how much oil to buy.

I don't recommend her 1) adding oil when it's really low ("changing" it, as some might say....terrible mistake) or B) changing it herself :yay:

SoMDGirl42

Doesn't the engine have to be cooled off before checking? I was always told not to check it while the engine is hot. :shrug:

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Doesn't the engine have to be cooled off before checking? I was always told not to check it while the engine is hot. :shrug:

The best time time to check it is first thing in the morning before you start the car, but you can get a good reading if the car sits for a few minutes with the engine off, most of the oil will drain back down to the oil pan.

SoMDGirl42

I was thinking more along the lines of if her husband changes it himself she might need to know how much oil to buy.

I don't recommend her 1) adding oil when it's really low ("changing" it, as some might say....terrible mistake) or B) changing it herself :yay:

I suspect if hubby changes it himself he will know how much it takes and what kind. It's a 2007. I hope it's not the first time the oil has been changed. But then again, I did have a neighbor who bought a new car. 8 years later, the car blew up. He had never had an oil change or tires rotated since the day he bought it. He's now had his new car 2 years. Never changed the oil yet, and keeps the sunroof open all year round.

I suspect if hubby changes it himself he will know how much it takes and what kind. It's a 2007. I hope it's not the first time the oil has been changed. But then again, I did have a neighbor who bought a new car. 8 years later, the car blew up. He had never had an oil change or tires rotated since the day he bought it. He's now had his new car 2 years. Never changed the oil yet, and keeps the sunroof open all year round.

I was just trying to be "extra" helpful....sheesh! Maybe she'd stop and buy the oil for him to use. Maybe she'd tell him and act like she did the research so he'd be....umm, 'proud' of her. I will not help (sniffle)